News: Bruce Arena Calls 26 Players for October Qualifiers Against Panama and T&T

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Fabian Johnson

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...ld-cup-qualifiers-get3-panama-trinidad-tobago

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Atlanta United FC; 15/0), Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids; 37/0), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake; 0/0)

DEFENDERS (9): DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo; 35/6), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City; 12/1), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City/ENG; 24/2), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca/MEX; 16/0), Michael Orozco (Club Tijuana/MEX; 6/1), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 6/0), Jorge Villafaña (Santos Laguna/MEX; 4/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United/ENG; (8/0), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City; 20/3)

MIDFIELDERS (10): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas; 5/0), Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution; 0/0), Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 5/1), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union; 9/0), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC/CAN; 38/7), Benny Feilhaber (Sporting Kansas City; 6/0), Dax McCarty (Chicago Fire; 0/0), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers; 9/0), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 11/5), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy; 4/1)

FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC/CAN; 39/16), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC; 41/18), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes; 0/0), Bobby Wood (Hamburg/GER; 12/4)

2. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    #2 schrutebuck, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Orozco returns, Feilhaber returns, Agudelo gets called in and classified as a midfielder.

I wonder if Zardes is ready to go after his groin injury last night.

What's interesting about Feilhaber is that he's actually come off the bench in their last two matches since winning the US Open Cup final. I wonder if he's been carrying an injury or whether Vermes is trying some squad rotation with a playoff spot assured.

I think this demonstrates that Arena has not been thrilled with the effectiveness of Fabian Johnson in midfield.

Miazga missing out is the biggest disappointment for me.

Mr Martin, TxEx and OGx3 repped this.
  3. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    This is absolutely atrocious.

4. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Did anyone expect different?

kennytt, Guinho, juveeer and 1 other person repped this.
  5. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    Beasley and Zusi yet again.

6. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again, Bruce goes for the boring option. It just doesn't make sense? What about Miazga who's consistently starting for an Eredivisie team. I just have to assume Chandler doesn't want to play for the USMNT again because he surely deserves another shot. This is before even getting started with Zardes/Agudelo over Johnson. At this point I'd rather see Justen Glad than Zusi or Orozco.. once again so disappointed with this roster.

Patrick167 repped this.
  7. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    I didn't expect fxcking Wondo.

8. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    The worst thing is, if these guys don't get the job done you just know it's gonna be the same group more or less to face Australia.

kennytt, COMtnGuy, Statman and 2 others repped this.
  9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I am taking a knee in protest of this roster.

10. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im glad to see some of the new faces...sad to see some of the old faces.

......and wish bruce didnt weigh experience so heavily in his selections.

jnielsen and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  11. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some frightening names on that roster. Still light to be more than enough talent to get the job done. Just need to do it.

jnielsen, nbarbour and OGx3 repped this.
  12. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are at least 50 guys more deserving of a US national team call up than Gyasi Zardes... thank you to Gyasi for doing the patriotic thing and getting injured.

Half of this roster is a bad joke, no Horvath, Miazga, McKennie, Glad, Roldan, Morrow, etc. while we get declining geriatrics like Rimando, Beasley, Wondo, and mediocre roster filler like Zusi, Bedoya, Orozco...

Even among the relatively-younger guys there are puzzling inclusions... Is Arena actually watching any games?? Agudelo has one goal in the Revs' last 17 games. Acosta's team is in a death spiral and he's played only 29 minutes since returning from injury.

13. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, obviously I'm excited about the Feilhaber inclusion. But there's just too many subpar roster filler types to give Bruce any credit.

Zusi, Bedoya, Beasley, Zardes, Dax, Acosta, Wondo, Rimando, Orozco and, imo, Nagbe. None are good enough to make an impact in Russia.

14. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not? He’s essentially been called up every time

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Are you? You claim Agudelo has one goal in 17 games, yet he's played as a striker twice since early July, so that sounds like the comment of someone who doesn't know what they are saying. If you actually look at the roster, you'll see he's classified as a midfielder (so goals would not be an important measure), given he's not playing in an area of the field where he'll score many goals. Whether any of us agree with the classification of him as a midfielder (much better striker), thats where he's been put at the club level, and Arena must recognize that, and will maybe give him a runout in midfield.

And even with Acosta, whether his team is in a death spiral or not, he deserves to be on the roster. I'm not sure thats really a big complaint. He's a big part of the NT's future, so whether his team is struggling or not and whether he's struggling or not, when you got guys like Beasley, Zusi, Orozco, Ream, Wondolowski on the roster, I'm not sure Acosta's a fair complaint, unless we are just going to complain about every player on the roster.

Tony in Quakeland repped this.
  16. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has underperformed at left midfield and it would not surprise me that playing left back at this point might not be in the discussion.

kennytt, COMtnGuy, Suyuntuy and 5 others repped this.
  17. 21st Century Pele

Apr 16, 2014
    Have we had an older roster?

Patrick167 repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    If he doesn't want to play LB, he might as well just retire before the World Cup.

Why should we have a guy on the NT who refuses to play certain positions? He only cares about himself not the team?

As far as I'm concerned, I'd much rather Chandler get called up than Johnson. Chandler performs much better than Johnson at the club level. If you actually think about it, Chandler's probably been our best player at the club level this season. He's one of the Bundesliga's best right-backs.

19. 21st Century Pele

Apr 16, 2014
    Why are we not moving FJ back to LB? That's been his best position for us, and a position we are VERY thin at.

Oh well, at least we know what to expect from this group of players. I believe it was posted in one of the other threads a week or so ago.

20. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EPB > Omar
    Fab > Villafana
    Lichaj >> Zusi
    Horvath > Rimando, Howard, Guzan

I could go on, but getting to the midfield and forwards makes me want to punch things.

Ghost, Eighteen Alpha, Amaru523 and 9 others repped this.
  21. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Graham Zusi does not belong on this roster, and Tim Howard is not even 'MLS Good' at this point. That is just two points I wanted to make. If both of those players start, it's over.

HartwickFan, TxEx, neems and 4 others repped this.
  22. Greg Heaney

Greg Heaney Member

May 5, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Agudelo, Fielhaber in, Johnson out. Makes sense. Agoos and Burns as alternates?

HartwickFan, Redmen Rule, Guinho and 5 others repped this.
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Didn't Zardes leave yesterday's game with a hamstring injury? Is he completely fine? Going to come to camp injured? Anyone know?

24. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    #Uninspiring

25. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even despite this uninspiring selection, there should still be enough there to get the points we need. Key word is "should".

Regardless, they've got no excuses for not getting the results