Brotherhood, Season 2 [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by SueB, Oct 3, 2007.

1. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    So did anybody else catch the first episode of Season 2? I know it hasn't generated as much buzz for Showtime as Dexter, but I actually like this show better. I'm thrilled it's finally back (over a year after the end of Season 1).

Last season ended with the "bad" brother, Michael Caffee, left near death after being jumped and badly beaten by drunken cop/family friend Declan ("Deco") Giggs. This season picks up several months later. Michael has recovered from his injuries (we knew he would) but is still coping with some apparent brain trauma. For one thing, he has no recollection of the incident, and the story he's being fed by Cork is that some Russians did it for revenge (he offed a few mobsters during a field trip to NJ last season). But he doesn't believe that story, so he's been putting feelers out to try and learn the real story. One of his sources is a very nervous Deco - ha! - who's in a real bad way. His wife's left him, he's in the mob's pocket, he's on pills and alcohol, his work is suffering, and now Moe has him over a barrel since he witnessed his attack on Michael.

And that doesn't even get into the story of the "good" brother, Tommy, who cleverly managed to get an uncooperative colleague in the Rhode Island House arrested.

I love this show.

Last season, the episode titles were all named after various religious passages (Matthew 13:57, etc, although they weren't all from the Bible - I compiled them all in the Season 1 thread). This episode was entitled One Too Many Mornings (3:4-8). So I guess they've switched their source material to Bob Dylan songs. Assuming they mean the 3rd verse, lines 4-8, that would be:

You're right from your side,
    I'm right from mine.
    We're both just one too many mornings
    An' a thousand miles behind.

Sounds about right.

2. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad you started the thread. I know last season didn't generate much interest. If I recall, we might've been the only 2 in the thread.

Thought the season 2 premier was great. It might've been the only season premier so far that hasn't dissapointed (Cavemen? Yikes!). I was worried for a sec that they made Mike a vegetable. Luckily he's still the same ruthless gangster except with a major headache. I still love the contrast of personalities of being the tough guy, killing Herbie the Jew and his bodyguard, and him saying how his girlfriend's kids are great and how sullen he was when talking to Tommy.

Thought Tommy was great in his blow-up on Eileen telling her if she had any decency, she'd stay away from Jordana. I also like how he gets deeper into playing dirty politics, having that guy arrested. He's probably the most hypocritical character on the show with how he thinks he's doing good by bending the rules.

Anyway, glad the season's finally back. It's been a long time coming.

3. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    There were at least a couple others who posted in the Season 1 thread (that's the "original article" that I linked to).

Yeah, at first I was afraid Michael was going to be in really bad shape, too, as he was struggling with the blocks, but I guess he just has some spatial relationship issues. And the occasional eyes-rolling-back-into-his-head seizure while getting a glass of water in the middle of the night. That could be problematic for him if it happens in the wrong time and place!

I wondered how he got the bodies into his car, in broad daylight. But I guess I'll just choose to ignore that. It also didn't seem like he did such a great job hiding them. NEXT to a body of water? Maybe he did lose more than a few brain cells....

4. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I recorded the first episode but haven't had a chance to watch yet.

I really enjoyed the first season (not as much as Dexter though!) and am looking forward to the new season.

I think Jason Isaacs is a great actor doing a brilliant job in his role as Mike.

I'm a much bigger fan of Brotherhood over The Sopranos. I just like all the characters more. Any show that gives a good role to Ethan Embry gets points in my book.