Brooks Lennon @ Liverpool

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Clint Eastwood, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It's madness.

2. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are technically correct. The best kind of correct.

3. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically, this should be put into a new thread called "Yanks Abroad in MLS" which makes total coherent sense

4. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    Brooks is back with Liverpool following the end of his loan period with RSL

Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Surprised he isn't sticking around at RSL. He got a lot of playing time there, and I'm wondering whose decision it was to go back to Liverpool. There's no way he has a future there, so the next transfer window should be interesting for him.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #381 mattjo, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    There have been articles noting that RSL wants to make to make his move permanent. I think he has one more year on his contract at Liverpool? Could be this is all part of negotiations. Also, his loan deal might have been good for this amount of time and neither England or the USA is in a transfer window.

EDIT: Lennon has six more months on his contract (expires Summer 2018).

Winoman and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  7. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is from three weeks ago:

Real Salt Lake wants permanent move for Liverpool's Brooks Lennon - sources

If he's out of contract in June, he should come cheap unless Liverpool is being totally unreasonable. It would be foolish for RSL to wait half a year for him to available on a free and indeed Waibel has confirmed they are having conversations about a transfer. Lennon's loan didn't come with a fixed-price-option-to-buy clause, which may be why they've been able to wrap up Savarino first.

The only other issue would be if Lennon wants to stick it out in Europe after his Liverpool deal expires. No idea about his thoughts.

Pl@ymaker, Winoman and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  8. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On that as well, Liverpool media have suggested the club would not stand in the way of him transferring to RSL. probably all about working out the details.

9. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he could find something better than RSL on the continent.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, yeah. And Amy Winehouse always thought that bottle of wine looked delicious. ;)

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  11. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a 19-20 year old this season for RSL, Lennon played in 25 games (15 starts) for a total of 1525 minutes. He scored 3 goals and notched 4 assists.

For the 2017 U-20 team this year at both the World Cup and World Cup qualifying (CONCACAF Championship) Lennon played in 11 games which were all starts for 946 minutes. He scored 6 goals and 4 assists.

Not earth shattering but certainly a pretty good year. He should be a part of the U-23 team in a few years as a winger.

12. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he's already in Europe he should just stay there considering he has a passport, is associated w/ Liverpool, had some moments in their u-23's, and is coming off a decent loan to an MLS squad + u-20 international run. There has to be some European interest for a competing transfer from all those showcases, in-between samples of proof, and age. Any specifics on that? Lowlands and top Portugese b-teams come to mind.

13. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Wonder if he'll train with Liverpool's first team.

14. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe a bit. But given that Grujic and Ings and Woodburn and Brewster play mostly u23, not extremely likely.

ETA: not to imply I don’t rate him. I think he’s got a little something about him that’s interesting. Mostly work rate and fine cross. I think he’s not far off from Arriola as it already stands, if a bit less refined on the ball.

15. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would also hope that if he's not in Liverpool's plans (which I seriously doubt he is), that he is allowed to play in January camp for the USMNT.

Young wingers that play regular first team minutes are hard to come by. If the USMNT is trying to go younger, Lennon seems like the kind of player you'd definitely want to call up.

16. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Just because its in Europe? MLS is a better situation than many if not most European countries. Europe is not one monolith of greatness.It countries have varying degrees of quality. He needs a situation where he can play first division football and learn. Oh wait MLS gives him that.

uniteo and bballshawn repped this.
  17. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Correct me if I'm wrong but most of his starts and sub appearances for RSL were earlier in the season.

Anytime I watch MLS games I have an eye for specifically looking at Americans who have potential for the NT (like most here who watch MLS). The last few months of the season he either didn't play, or got a 10-15min cameo.

18. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh wait, I forgot you hate all things Europe and Europe should never be mentioned.

Pardon my rudeness for implying there might be a better situation than RSL across the hundreds of clubs on the continent.

19. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    During the last 2.5 months of the season, he started 4 matches and came on as a sub in 6. The period where he wanst' used much was May 2017 when he was an unused sub.

He played 90 minutes for 2 matches in October.
    He started one match and came on as a sub in the other 3 matches in September.
    He started at went 90 in 1 match in August and came on as a sub in three more.

20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He was an unused sub in May because of the U-20 World Cup.

Lennon played in all but one game this year that he was available for, and he started 3 of 4 to close out the season. For a 19-20 year old, that's notable.

mattjo repped this.
  21. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    There may or they may not. It has nothing to do with if its in Europe or not. You seem to take the view if its in Europe its better.
    Unless you have specifics its all guesswork. He's in a good situation with RSL, unless that better situation shows itself anywhere in the world, I'll wait.

An Unpaved Road repped this.
  22. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Nobody's decision. It's simply what he has to do. The MLS season is over and the window hasn't opened in England or the States, so he has to either sit around waiting for the window to open to seal a move, or go back to Liverpool and wait for the window to open and weigh his options/ pretend to weigh his options to get a slightly better deal with RSL. It's exactly what any one of us would do in the same situation

Liverpool have never been the club to be assholes about a player who's not in the plans and whose contract is up in the summer. And that goes double for a member of their youth team. If he has an offer and the other side are willing to pay the usual (probably 3 months' wages), a deal will go through very smoothly.

Besides, there's the return leg of that trans-Atlantic ticket to use up and he may have some personal effects in the UK that he'll want to have packed up and ready for the next move.

23. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thanks, bud. I know how transfer windows work. The Red Bulls announced the permanent signing of Michael Murillo the other day, and Atlanta announced the permanent signing of Greg Garza yesterday. If there was a deal in place, it could have been announced regardless.

24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #399 jond, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Or perhaps, you're again putting words in my mouth. Obviously going to Slovakia isn't better "because Europe". I've explained the upside of certain situations in Europe before. Obviously it pertains more to a younger player with an EU passport hopefully getting options in Holland or France or similar places. Obviously it pertains to more of an ability to climb the ladder if he impresses rather than presumably signing a standard 4-5 yr MLS deal which locks him in until 25/26 as he still falls in the develop/sell range and there's a number of leagues over there who bank on the develop/sell model.

But that really shouldn't have to be said every time it's posted about.

But yes, it is about parts of Europe as parts of Europe are better. Essentially saying all of Europe is better and ignoring places like Latvia and Poland kinda suck isn't an argument anyone is making so why you're responding to an argument no one is making is curious. No one's suggesting for him to go play in Romania because "Europe". Actually, it suggests you think Lennon sucks, that back alley Euro destinations are his options. If you rate him, see some potential, think he impressed with the YNT's, consider his passport, his contract situation, etc, you'd likely think he could get a decent situation in a place like Holland or France.

But in the end, if he chooses RSL, cool. Suggesting there are better situations doesn't equate to RSL is a bad situation either. It's a better situation than most of MLS given they play youth and their tactics/style are halfway decent. It's not like signing for Colo or SJ.

The Irish Rover and Winoman repped this.
  25. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I contend RSL is better than some in Holland and France and worse than others. Unless he has a specific offer and chance to make the move we'll never be able to debate whether its better for him or not. So we're down to if we think he sucks he should stay in MLS and if he has potential he should go to a better situation in Holland or France. That alone proves your bias. RSL should just be considered another option in the overall scheme. RSL is fine for now and if he shows alittle more class he can make a move to a higher league anywhere in the world or a better team in MLS.

An Unpaved Road repped this.