Brooks Lennon @ Liverpool

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Clint Eastwood, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Things are getting serious enough for Brooks Lennon that I think we should have a thread for him.
    [Couldn't find one, so mods merge if one exists] We'd been talking about him in threads for his brother Riggs. I don't know if either brother has the ability to get a Euro passport............................

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/o...es-on-international-stage-with-u-s-u-17-team/

Lennon is expected to play with an academy team for Liverpool FC, a traditional power in the English Premier League, in the Milk Cup held in Northern Ireland from July 29-31, ODFC has learned.

In April, Lennon had a training stint at English Premier League’s traditional power Liverpool FC, where he started for the U-16 team in a scrimmage against Right to Dream, an academy from Ghana.

Lennon has been making waves in international soccer since he was 13. He previously trained with the academies of English Premier League club Aston Villa and Portuguese power Sporting Lisbon and fellow Portuguese club Vitoria Guimaraes; with each club inviting him back for more trials and wanting to sign him.

Testudo, Tom Collingsworth and ImaPuppy repped this.
  2. HopperKowalski

Aug 16, 2012
    I feel like there's no way he would be getting all of these opportunities without a Euro passport or at least some Euro connection. I'm probably wrong though.

3. Brown Shark

Brown Shark Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Upstate NY
    The article mentioned he had a coach in the US that was from Portugal and used his contacts to set up training with Portuguese clubs. If he doesn't have a Euro passport he has to wait till he's 18 I guess.

4. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Brooks Lennon is a very British style name

5. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His trials in Portugal were facilitated by one of his coaches, Joao Bento and both clubs he trialed for (Sporting and Vitoria) invited him to join their academies. His trial at Aston Villa was set up in part by his father, himself a former pro, who has a contact at Villa. Villa also invited him to join their academy but as he doesn't possess a Euro passport he hasn't been able to act on these opportunities.

Mario Balotelli, ImaPuppy and Hararea repped this.
  6. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If his dad is a former pro, maybe he can get a job over there and move with his sons.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    His brother Riggs also had a trial at Villa...............right?

It would seem to me that Brooks is a prime candidate for Bradenton unless a Euro opportunity can work itself out. And without a Euro passport its going to be tough.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Die KlinsMannschaft@klinsmannschaft16h
    Brooks Lennon certainly not the first young American forced to decline major offers due to lack of a Euro passport. #stuckinamerica

Testudo repped this.
  9. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but from what I understand Brooks is a higher regarded prospect by some margin.

As for Bradenton I'm just not sure how I feel about it being the best option for our guys anymore. Until/unless we get someone down there who really knows what they're doing and has a proven record as a developer of young talent I'd just about prefer our top guys pursue other alternatives.

10. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brooks, a '97, is too old for Bradenton's next class.

11. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Google Translate-
    "In Picture: Liverpool U-17 Defeat Frenz United Indonesia 3-2
    Wednesday, January 8, 2014, 22:33 pm
    [​IMG]
    Footballers Liverpool FC U-17, Brooks Lennon (left) dribbles overshadowed two Indonesian footballer in the United Frenz Frenz International Cup Match Prelude 2014 at Stadium Sultan Agung, Bantul, Yogyakarta, Wednesday (8/1) night. (Antara / Sigid Kurniawan)
    [​IMG]
    ...Footballers Liverpool FC U-17, Brooks Lennon (left) perform a penalty kick towards the goal keeper Frenz United Indonesia, Andy Firth (right) in a Prelude Frenz International Cup 2014 Match at Stadium Sultan Agung, Bantul, Yogyakarta, Wednesday (8/1)..."
    http://static.republika.co.id/uploa...u-17-brooks-lennon-kiri-_140108220617-535.jpg

Far East joy for young Reds
    LIVERPOOL Under-17s maintained their 100% record on their tour of the Far East with a 3-2 win over Frenz United Indonesia at the Sultan Agung Stadium... Brooks Lennon fired the Reds in front from the penalty spot and Alaster Redmayne made it 2-0... When Lennon added his second Liverpool appeared to be out of sight but the hosts rallied with goals from Abdul Ali Nahim Arury and Yugan Poobathy reducing the deficit."
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kop-kids-fa-dash-hopes-6482690

He earns a penalty and puts it away at the top, then his 2nd goal is at 1:29-

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    With Frenz like that, who needs ... never mind.

Sandon Mibut and Testudo repped this.
  15. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So does Brooks have a euro passport too or how's he a LFC player? Also he should be on the US u18s

16. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know that it's clear it was anything more than a trial.

I'm surprised a well-known young US prospect pulled on a Liverpool strip and played a game in public and this forum didn't notice for 4 months.

17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

19. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Wow that's really impressive for a 16/17 (?) year old...

20. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is definitely a thread for the new subforum.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  22. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7211, Testudo, Tom Collingsworth and 2 others repped this.
  23. Andylui8

Andylui8 New Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Um he is a guest player for liverpool at the moment right? Sorry don't know much

24. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's essentially signed with Liverpool's academy as long as his Visa allows him to stay. Once he turns 18 you'll probably see a more permanent move but we'll see. Everything depends upon his work permit.

JoeTerp repped this.
  25. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brooks Lennon
    An American! Brooks Lennon is an extremely quick winger who has been trialing and playing for Liverpool on and off over the past year or so. After scoring goals consistently during his time with the club, first on tour with the U17s last season, and more recently in a European pre-season tour match against Schalke, rumors are he has finally joined the club permanently. A product of the Real Salt Lake academy, Lennon has been ranked fourth on IMG's latest USA youth top 150 list and was called up to the USMNT Under-18 squad for a recent youth tournament in Portugal.
    And so it begins, another American about whom those of us with such proclivity can get excited. For his sake, let's hope Lennon can stay more injury free than LFC's last great American hope.

http://liverpooloffside.sbnation.com/2014/8/15/6004311/academy-season-preview-under-18s

Tom Collingsworth repped this.