"Bro, do you even Madridismo?" - A Historical, Cultural & Philosophical Primer of Real Madrid CF

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by macaluca, May 7, 2007.

1. scottyccfc

scottyccfc New Member

May 7, 2016
    Club:
    Cork City
    Anon., Chinky24, Shay Z and 3 others repped this.
  2. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The Real Madrid Story. Official Real Madrid documentary that was released in 2006.

Part 1:

Part 2:

3. KickersFTW

KickersFTW Member+

Jan 12, 2012
    RVA (Soccer hotbed)
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok so I have a couple questions and wasn't sure which board to ask them on. Note these are serious and not meant to stir crap up
    ----

1. Why is racist crowds a major issue in Spain? It seems like quite a few clubs get in trouble for it. Banana, monkey chants, white power banners, etc.

2. We all know the dictator story and such behind Barca and Real but what is the true story? Was Real pushed forward while Barca was truly oppressed? Or is that the story to make Real look evil? Or is the answer in between? I just hate the bias answers on both sides.

3. There's always this idea of Barca developing players to win with a certain style vs Real it is win at all costs. I mean obviously that's not always the case with like Suarez and Neymar. But is that the general idea? Do Madrid fans believe winning is what's important no matter the costs?

I ask this since the history of the two fascinates me. Ronaldo has always been my favorite player. I have his jerseys from his clubs as I watched him from a teen become one of the greats.

4. Crimson

Crimson BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 11, 2009
    @KickersFTW
    It's more of a cultural thing really, happens a lot in Russia and Italy as well, although clubs are stamping it out now, Real Madrid for instance banning the Ultras entirely.

Franco's club was a club called Atletico Aviation also known as Atletico Madrid today. Real Madrid had no concessions, when our ground was burnt to the ground during the Spanish civil war, we couldn't get any help from the government or banks in which to even rebuild, thanks to the genius of Santiago he called apon some friends and pulled together some loans from various people in the business community and rebuilt what was then called the new Charmartin Stadium. When Santiago and a few others envisioned a European league and the subsequent success of Madrid in said league, Franco decided to attach himself to the team for Spanish pride, despite the fact that on a number of occasions Santiago refused entry to Franco's men into the stadium.

We also have other history about Franco bailing out Barcelona when they were on the verge of collapse and even presenting them with awards and the fact that Barcelona won far more league titles than Real Madrid when he was in power.

Our success is really due to one man, Santiago Bernabeu and his amazing vision for the club and for football in Europe as a whole, the world of football owes him a lot not just Real Madrid, it was his idea to bring the very best players from the world over to our club and it was that idea that allowed us to be so dominant in Europe.

I can't and won't speak for Barcelona, but Real Madrid you need to win with flair, just ask Capello how winning without attacking flair worked for him lol, the Real Madrid crowd will simply not stand for it, winning isn't enough, you have to play beautiful attacking football, have the best players and entertain.

5. KickersFTW

KickersFTW Member+

Jan 12, 2012
    RVA (Soccer hotbed)
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's why get confused at the hostility all over. It seems like the clubs have shared great success and have gone through dark sides of history. Both have suffered as well. I mean the ideals of how players are put in place or developed might different. Problem is sometimes it hard to find the root of the whole thing when you got the Messi/Ronaldo folks just going at it. I guess I generally look beyond the players to try to see what clubs are about. I would totally agree clubs at the highest level owe it to their fans to entertain. You are stars and you are paid like stars so yes you should perform like stars. Yeah you'll take the sloppy wins but clubs with major resources are expected to put a show on. This comes from someone who loves la liga. I believe they play a beautiful style. Some of the stadiums are so unique as are the atmospheres.

S1na, 9Qui and Crimson repped this.
  6. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question here - My thoughts:

I see you also live in the US, I think here (depending on your nationality and skin tone), you probably see more racism than in most parts of Eastern Europe - namely Spain. The thing is that here in the US sometimes people are subtle about their racism and not so vocal.

I don't believe the Racist chants in Spain are first - common spread meaning you won't hear it at every match and see it thrown around as normal and second - is usually done to hurt the player because they know they will be heavily offended and distracted.

Sports fanatics say the craziest things throughout the world - Homophic slangs, chants about looks, chants about players being druggies, Chanting foul things about the players family members (momma, father, girlfriend).
    I think that the Racist chants they feel hurts certain players the most so they do it to be purposely offensive rather than just genuinely racist.
    Now, some of them really are racist but like I said that's not limited to Spain, that's worldwide.

All in all it's a very small minority of Ultras and Supporter Groups that do it not really the main crowd.

7. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screen Shot 2016-12-11 at 11.43.22 PM.png

Madrid nunca se rinde!!

Zidane05 repped this.
  8. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #408 Excape Goat, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2017
    S1na, Doni and Shay Z repped this.
  9. -Reivax-

-Reivax- Member+

Aug 10, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  10. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The Real Madrid-Bayern Munich quarter-final is coming up. The two clubs have some epic battles over the years.

In 2000, we eliminated them in the semi-final on our way to our CL title .A year later, they eliminated us in the semifinal on their way to their CL title. A year later, we again eliminated them in the quarterfinal on our 9th title.

We lost 1-2 away, but advanced.

Of all people, Helguera scored this goal. I do not remember the year or the outcome of the series.

In 2012, we lost against them in an epic penalty shootout. Two years later, we beat them 5-0 over two legs.

Doni repped this.
  11. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I have posted about Laurie Cunningham here before. He was a fan favourite in the 1980's. In the UK, he was known as one of the first Black footballers to have represented England. This video below illustrated his skills while playing for us. The English produced a lot of great wingers in the 1980's and he was one of them. England does not produce wingers liked that anymore.

Doni, S1na and 4x4s repped this.
  12. ratheesh7k

ratheesh7k Member

Feb 18, 2010
    India
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  13. El-CapitanoR7

El-CapitanoR7 Member

Oct 30, 2008
    La la land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hello Friends,

Please remember that legends are forever.

Clarence Seedorf was erratic in his time with Madrid, but he was extremely talented. He later was able to hone on his skills as he became a "professor" with Milan.

Look at the team around him, a team that could, I think, challenge any top team today.

Look at the understanding between Raul and Seedorf.

Sit down, relax, and admire the beauty of this magnificent player during his time with Madrid.

Excape Goat repped this.
  14. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This is my latest blog post:

Real Madrid All-Time Team under Florentino Perez.

http://soccerfootballwhatever.blogspot.hk/2017/07/real-madeud-under-florentina-perez.html

The blog was very easy to do. The selection isn't that controversial.

Key notes:

Sneijder, Cannavaro and van Nistelrooy played for Real Madrid between the two terms of Florentino Perez.

The 4th centerback position is the most difficult decision. Carvalho and Varane are better than Helguera. But Carvalho's time here was short. He had one solid season, but did not play much in the next two. Varane has been here since 2010, but he was not used as a starter much. Helguera played for us from 1999 to 2007. He started many matches and won two Champions League as a starter. I have to salute him at least for his services.

Guti also got in because of his long term loyalty to the club. He was never the undisputed starter on the team, but he stayed. His career would have been more remarkable if he took the "Juan Mata" way. I bumped Ozil and Di Maria off the list.

David Beckham was kept off the team by Figo and Bale. Bale at least scored the winning goal in the 2014 CL Final.

S1na, Doni and russian hattie repped this.
  15. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Pipita is one of my favourite Madrid players however surprised to see he made your 25 man squad over Morientes (I know he made the honourable mentions list instead), who won 2 CLs as a starter whilst Flo was around.

russian hattie and Umar repped this.
  16. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Just saw this clip today of my favorite almost goal:

I still ROFL on that #3 Zizou sends to a different continent.

Doni, S1na, Excape Goat and 1 other person repped this.
  17. russian hattie

russian hattie Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agreed.

Great squad choices though. And although I would have my own preferences for the starting XI it's a very good line up, but very surprised Zizou doesn't make it.

18. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I have the worst memory, but I still remember this chance. I was literally on the floor banging my hands when he missed.

19. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Perhaps, I am more of Higuain's fan. Let me think it over.

20. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    From a biography of Puskas I am readng:

Puskas: Madrid. Magyars and the Amazing Adventures of World's greatest footballer by Gyorgy Szollosi.

-- Puskas and the Hungarian players were banned by FIFA after they refused to return home following the Uprising of 1956. Manchester United targeted Puskas to rebuld after the Munich Air Disaster(for young people, the Man Utd team plane crashed and 8 members of the team died), but they were afraid of the FIFA ban. Plus, the pay was too low. Puskas lost everything and was running out of money.

Meanwhile, Franco's Spain had no diplomatic tie with Hungary in 1956. He did not care about Spain's relationship with a communist country and FIFA. Franco grained the Hungarians Spanish citizenship. The Hungarian Embassy in Spain was still maintained by the Royal House of Hungary in exile. Thus, both Real Madrid and Barcelona were able to sign the Hungarians.Czibor and Kocsis went to Barcelona, btw.

-- Santiago Bernbeasu hired Emil Ostreicher, a Hungharian exile who was Honved's financial secretary before the Uprising. Bernabeu only saw Puskas once in 1956 and he had a bad game. Plus, Puskas agrued with the referee, a trait that Bernabeu disliked. Nevertheless, Ostreicher convinced him to sign Puskas. Puskas showed up "fat"... Bernabeu was disappointed. Di Stefano was also ondering why the club signed that 'fatso".

-- Di Stefano soon discoevred that Puskas could play. The author pinpointed the exact moment where the pair became friends. It was round 28 of 1958-1959 season against Sevilla. Both players had scored two goals each. On the last play of the game, Puskas had a clear chance to score. Instead, he passed the ball to Di Stefano. at bthat moment, Di Stefano was the leading scorer in the league. Puskas would pull level with that goal. Di Steafno went on to win the Pichichi Award that season.

* the book was inaccurate. It mentioned that Puskas was sent on a loan to Atletico Madrid becuase bernabeu was disappointed with his new signing. I never heard of it. I found no record of it on the internet.

Buyo, CivilProtection, -Reivax- and 3 others repped this.
  21. adamu

adamu New Member

Real Madrid
    Cameroon
    Aug 13, 2017
    Watch this one ...http://freekickers.com/super-cup-first-leg/

22. adamu

adamu New Member

Real Madrid
    Cameroon
    Aug 13, 2017
  23. S1na