Brian McBride

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Smithsoccer1721, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His ejection was a large part of losing 5-1,IMO. Our other scores were 0-1,1-2.

No,they were playing "normal", playing "rough" to me is US-Mexico 2002.

2. BackOtheNet!

BackOtheNet! New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    So Cal
    "That reminds me kids, dont smoke crack" (Lawrence Taylor - Happy Gilmore)

3. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weren't we already down 3 or 4 to 1 when Wynalda got into the game?

4. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    I have a copy of that game....I just skimmed through it to refresh my memory....Wynalda was ejected around 10 minutes into the 2nd half when we were already down 3-0.....that's hardly "ruining" the game.

P.S. USA-Mexico 2002 was way beyond "rough"....it bordered on all-out combat.

5. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'll have to defer to the evidence rather than my obviously failing memory!!:eek: This is why eye witness convictions can get reversed on appeal.....

Sorry, Eric.

Still think Brian's better though.;)

6. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    You sure are stubborn.:p

In all seriousness though, I think you're letting your dislike of Wynalda's personality cloud your judgment with regards to his ability.

7. swims

swims Member

Earlier in this thread someone made the argument that Wynalda played on USMN teams that were far less capable than the teams mcBride played on.

I'm not completely buying that one. In the YouTube clip, you can see Waldo playing with Tab Ramos, Claudio Reyna, Balboa, Lalas, Agoos, etc.. Some of those teams may have neen less capable than some of the teams McBride played on, but I'm not seeing such a large of a drop-off in skills that it would make or break an argument for or against either player.

Regarding the clip: I had definitely forgotten how fast Wynalda was in his prime, and how bad those nats kits with the stars were...

8. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    I agree with you about the skill of the teams he played on.....the difference was the depth of the player pool. There was a pretty big drop-off after the first 13-15 guys, that's not the case so much anymore.

The case I'm making is that Wynalda was much more talented, but also much more fragile.....McBride was a lot more durable. (Yes, I know he got injured a lot too, but he got up and kept playing usually).

According to this link here, Wynalda had 7375 minutes played in his 106 games....that equates to 1 goal every 217 minutes. And, if you check out those stats I previously posted you'll see he did it against mostly non-CONCACAF opponents (18 goals in 66 games vs non-CONCACAF teams).

I don't know McBride's minutes totals yet, but he scored only 7 goals in 48 games vs non-CONCACAF opponents.

Here's some interesting facts about their WC games...

Wynalda - 8 caps, 5 starts (only went the full 90 in the game vs Romania), 1 goal (vs Switzerland)

McBride - 10 caps, 10 starts (went the full 90 in all 10), 3 goals (vs Iran, Portugal, Mexico)

I don't know the individual minutes for each in only WC games, but I'd bet that Eric's lone goal would look a lot better in context with the number of minutes played.

Wynalda's career was ended prematurely by injuries....and he was plagued with them while he was playing too. Just as one example, in that 1994 WC game vs the Swiss he broke out into hives during halftime and so didn't play in the second half. He seemed to miss half of the games during his career because of injuries and illness.

McBride is to be admired for his toughness, but a lot of people seem to overlook Wynalda's talent because he didn't display as much of that toughness as McBride.

9. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously - and how about some of those keeper getups. Neon and Zubaz - two trends we hope to never see on a field again.

10. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Ah, yes it's all so clear now.

???

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    McBride has 32 goals with Fulham and Everton and 62 with the Crew.

Wynalda has 9 goals for Saarbrücken and 34 in MLS.

There's no bleeping comparison.

12. polak metro

polak metro New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    brian mcbride played longer in mls then wynalda y are therecomparisions . the premier league is diggrent fro m bundesliga there is no comparisiomn at all.

13. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Who cares?

Wynalda was better for the USMNT.....that's all that matters to me.....the USMNT. (Go back and look at the breakdown of stats again if you doubt that Wynalda was better for the USMNT.)

I'll say again that McBride is great too, But Wynalda is the best ever for the USMNT.

14. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo.

Rep to follow...

And for a taste of what might of been, I direct your attention to the '96 WCQ match at RFK against Guatemala, memorable for so many reasons:

Preki's first USA appearance...

the debut of the Ivan Leon Hackfest and Acting School (and a yellow card to Blooter Burns)...

Bob Lea uttering the famous line, "My gosh...they brought some water from Lourdes!"...

A classic Waldo finish for goal number 1 on as sweet a cross as you will ever see from Claudio Reyna...

and the 1st International goal for a very young...lots longer haired...some "Kurt Russell as Native American" leather headband thingy goin' on...and wearing number 7 on his back for cryin' out loud Brian McBride...

...assisted by Eric Wynalda.

Good times.

15. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    Re: McBride better than Wynalda?

that's awesome footage...

anyone happen to have the tab ramos goal vs. costa rica in portland prior to th 98 world cup they could post on youtube?

16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    While I totally support your irrational downplaying of wynalda, and agree wholeheartedly, I do think that there's a case that with the nats, he was pretty decent. I mean, I remember the national team in the 80s, and they were painful to watch. he was a step up.

As noted early, I'm more of a club fan than national team fan, so I'd stick with mcbride in this debate.

17. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US-Canada 1980 0-0 Lockhart Stadium, 2 wasted hours of my life I'll never get back........:eek:

18. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    who was the keeper? Was it AM?
    However, while I repressed it for the most part, can't imagine it was worse than US-Trinidad, St Louis, in, i think, 1985 but maybe later, or earlier. the US played in a tiny, indoor sized rectangle in the middle of the field. They were much better than us. We were like a snail, crawling along the edge of a straight razor. I have no idea if there was a goal or not. It was just so horribly bad.
    Hell, I arrived drunk and had a bad time.
    I remember the relief of "not sucking" against Italy in 90, because it was a shock at the time.

19. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think Mausser sounds right for that time period.

A few years later Arnie was playing forward in the amateur Gold Coast Soccer league down here.....

20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was actually thinking of mayer, but it would probably have been Massser...

21. former baller

former baller New Member

Mar 10, 2002
    Re: Brian McBride - Lockhart Stadium

I remember sitting on the bench in Lockhart stadium around 1980 or 1981 +/- watching the National team play a carribean basin team. George or Louis Nanchoff lined up to take a free kick at goal from the top of the box. I was just a 14 year old or so sitting on the US bench. I was not part of the team nor group. I said out loud, "he is going to bend it to the near post" At that moment Bob Gansler a stranger to me, turned to me and said " he is going to go straight over the wall". Sure enough Gansler was right and the ball went straight above the wall into the upper left side of the net for a Goal from the 18yd top of the box. But the fact that he engaged me in a tactical evaluation during critical game action on the team bench made me feel a part of what was happening..that my mind at that age was not out of its element...at least on the radar.

I rememember watching SIUE vs Indiana in the NCAA championship Final at Lockhart Stadium around 1982 from the side lines. A year later I attended one of those schools taking the next step in the old football career.

I remember the first game between Gerd Muller and Franz Beckenbauer played at Lockhart Stadium and standing before the two of them in the middle of the field post game as reporters and photographers crowded around. I recall asking Beckenbauer for his shoes in the middle of all that and he said to me with a fairly thick german accent at the time..."yes, but I have to play again." Again being approximately 13 or 14 years old +/- I responded there with the two German stars side by side...."but your the Kaiser".........

22. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sounds like you had good connections!! I don't remember that game,but I did go to "the game that would not end":Duke- Indiana, also at Lockhart......

23. former baller

former baller New Member

Mar 10, 2002

Good catch.... SIUE was 3rd in that final four. You are correct Duke v Indiana final. ....no connections .....player access.

Seems you were an active viewer of the game during the era during which I was coming up.

24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Looks like LD is three away from tying McBride already.

25. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    4 away from Waldo, he tied Mac yesterday