Brian McBride

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by m vann, Sep 17, 2002.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got a buddy in Columbus that keeps insisting that when the new transfer window opens that McBride may head back to Preston.I know he was a fan favorite during his short stint there and he gave Craig Brown some insight on Eddie Lewis, but is there any truth or fact behind this?

2. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there were plenty of rumors when david moyes was still coach but he has since moved on to everton in the premiership (and so have the rumors... at least for a while). although it is true that the fans loved mcbride, i don't forsee brown bringing mcbride in... that is of course unless mls suddenly drops their golden child stance and actively shop him to europe. but in the end, who knows?

anyone?

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I told my buddy in Columbus that MLS would be foolish to sell one of its "Poster-childs". McBride has be a huge marketing tool for MLS and like you I don't see him moving.

4. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    Would be kind of cool to have eddie swingin in the crosses for McHEad to put away. I doub't it will happen though. I think Mcbride is crew for good.

5. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    God, I hope so!

6. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not if you're going to make me all weepy by saying how you've misjudged him all these years. I don't think I could handle losing all three of the sure things in life (death, taxes and Segroves bashing McBride) all in one week. :)

7. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Brian McBride

Why is MLS all of a sudden a villain because they refuse to let players go in the worst transfer market in years?

By all reports there have been offers of well under $2 mil for McBride, Mathis, and DMB. Well 2 years ago MLS turned down a $2.5 mill offer for Ariel Graziani and nobody complained then. If you had a house would you sell it when the market was down by 50%?

8. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Re: Re: Re: Brian McBride

I think MLS did the right thing even if the prices offered had been a little higher. The World Cup made some inroads with a lot of MLS doubters in the U.S. -- euro-expats, etc. and to sell them before the season ended would have been a mistake, imo.

9. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    please go on.

10. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    While I agree with the logic of the MLS, I have to say that in McBride's case, they should let him go if he has the chance. His career is going to be winding down soon and this is really his last shot at playing in Europe which we all know is something he really wants. Let the guy go. Frankly, he doesn't look to interested in what he is doing for Columbus now anyway.

12. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    McBride tried to get MLS to let him go to Europe shortly after the World Cup (and with the backing of one Mr. Segroves). However, the monkey's heed and the rest of the baboons running the league are steadfast in holding him to his contract, which has another year to run.

I guess the only way McBride goes across the pond if someone is willing to meet the league's inflated transfer price, whatever that might be.

13. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I think MLS is being smart - but do you have any evidence that there was an official offer?

14. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There seems to be this sense that MLS owes McBride for his service and visibility...

...why doesn't McBride owe MLS for providing the one environment in which American players can make a decent wage as professional soccer players and be in a club environment where Amis are respected, expected to play, nurtured, and encouraged to play for the national team.

This is a league that has been paying McHead, what, something in 6 figures for years, providing him endorsement opportunities, and not trying to ship him off when injuries hit repeatedly AND his form slipped...if he were in Germany would he have continued playing? If he were overseas would McBride have had the playing time and support to work his way back into the nats picture...allowing him to make $300K at this WC alone.

And all the while MLS has paid him well (certainly in comparison to most alternatives for US soccer players) while absorbing tremendous losses. For this doesn't McBride owe MLS at least the courtesy of abiding by the contract he signed until the league can sell him in a less depressed market? I bet Ty Keough (add name of any other mid-80's national teamer) wishes he were treated as shabbily as Brian McBride.

Just my $.02

15. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    :D

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Does anyone not already know?

17. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Re: Re: Re: Brian McBride

Some team offered 2.5M for GRaziani? and MS didnt bite? oh my....

My 2¢ is that while a 6 figure wage is nothing to scoff at, Brian is 29 years old. For a professional athlete that is getting towards the end. Once he does get to the end of his playing days that 6 figures is gone, and he'll be either coaching or broadcoasting or whatnot...still making a decent wage, but if he was to go to Europe and be able to fetch a 1 or 2 million$ cotnract for a few years, that invested properly will enable him to live confortably for the rest of his life put his (for now) one child through college etc.

He must realize this, and is trying to use this opportunity becuase it is timely for him.

Brian has been one of the soldiers for MLS and the Nats, regardless of what I, Segroves or Garber thinks about his abilities and I for one would love to see him over in Europe, I think he has earned this right to explore all possibilites

18. delo_pata

delo_pata Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Durham, NC
    I dunno, as someone who has long seen McBride as one of the most valuable players onthe Nats, I would take a special pleasure in hearing Mr. Segroves eat crow again and again. God I love being right--especially when someone else was so wrong!

19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a chance in hell that'll happen. He recognized McHead for the WC, and now he is back to Crew hating.