brian mcbride upset with MLS

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by mark madden, Jul 30, 2002.

1. mark madden

mark madden New Member

Nov 28, 2001
    pittsburgh, pa
    i host a sports radio talk show in pittsburgh, and we attempted to get brian mcbride of columbus/US nat'l team as a guest. the crew PR guy told us that brian is upset because MLS will not let him leave to go overseas (presumably to everton) and so will not do any more interviews which he perceives as promoting MLS. i think mcbride is being a baby when he refuses to do interviews, but i totally see his point. it also makes me think that ussf is more committed to MLS than to building a strong nat'l team, and it makes me think that the US showing at WC'02 might turn out to be a peak, not a stepping stone. you can only get so good in MLS. to turn the corner as a player, you need to go to europe. if guys like landon donovan want to stay in MLS, fine. but i don't like the idea of MLS preventing a player who wants to go overseas to improve (and cash in) from doing so. thoughts?

2. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Mark,

First, thanks for being one of the few sports radio guys out there that's willing to do soccer on air, much less follow it on a personal basis.

As for McBride--it's not the Fed's decision whether to sell McBride, or let him play in Europe. That's up to MLS, and its HQ in New York City. It's not right to paint, in this specific situation, the USSF with the same brush.

3. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    That's for dropping back in Mark! Your latest "Sign Rivaldo" article was very funny.

4. scudley

scudley New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Syracuse, NY
    Perhaps this is a better alternative than conducting interviews in which he bashes the league.

5. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    we've had similar threads recently and maybe someone with more computer savvy than me can put up a link or two.

i agree with you completely, but understand that it is made more complicated by the fact that mls has thus far been getting pretty low offers. it seems pretty clear to me that our best players should be going overseas (if they want to) if they're going to improve as much as possible. this, of course, assumes that they will get to play once there, but that won't be known until they get there so it's a risk that is part of the process.

while mls deserves some credit for its role in the development of some of our players in the recent world cup, i don't think anyone can seriously argue that the competition is not stronger in europe. that competition day in and day out - both from opponents in games and from teammates for a spot on the pitch - is important to player development.

as for the money issue, it is clear that mls has (at least internally) set prices for players and is refusing to sell them if these prices are not met. this is a fair (and common) strategy, to a point. teams regularly do this during negotiations in an effort to drive prices up. however, what if the mls price demand (which often is not even stated) is unreasonably high? what if mls is overvaluing its players, especially in light of the current soft market? seems to me that mls is doing a disservice to these players and to our national team, and as i've said elsewhere, possibly to itself, as it would seem pretty clear to me that young talent in the US is not going to continue to sign with the mls if the consequence of that is being stuck in a minor league.

6. Newman

Newman New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    Madison, WI
    I don't like the idea of MLS keeping guys "against their will" (although they did choose to sign those contracts) but I also don't like the idea of MLS giving away assets at europe's rock-bottom transfer prices right now. McBride is very valuable to MLS right now, a World Cup star. I assume MLS has set it's price higher than Everton was willing to pay. Maybe MLS has set it's prices unreasonably high-I don't know specifics. I do know that if I were making decisions for MLS-I'd want what I felt the players were worth, and McBride is very marketable. The flip-side is that you might end up with a few surly players.

By the way, McBride is unlikely to be a contriibutor in 06 so the "go to Europe to develop" arguement doesn't really apply here.

7. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Does MLS owe Brian more than he owes MLS? Debatable. To be honest, I am having a hard time believing this is true.

8. I agree with your assertion that Mcbride won't be a major contributor in 06, he'll be more of a role player who will probably be used in the same sort of role that Ireland used Niall Quinn at this years world cup. A guy that goes in the second half when your trailing, a guy who can get up in the air and make plays. In terms of Mcbride being upset with MLS, whatever happened to honoring a contract that you sign.

9. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    Re: Re: brian mcbride upset with MLS

aye

anyone know how much time left mchead has on his contract?

10. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    Nope, the previous poster said that it's unlikely that he's a contributor, as in at all. It's unlikely he'll even be on the team, especially considering the youth we've got coming up. If Conor Casey does well in the Bundesliga 1st this year and Buddle keeps improving, then you can kiss McBride's national team career goodbye.

BTW, mods, this should be moved to the MLS forum IMHO.

11. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    Why is it that every time a US player says he wants to move on to a better league he is accused of not "honoring" his contract? I've never heard him say he's not going to play anymore if they won't give him a transfer. His contract is for him to play soccer in the MLS. He's continuing to do that, isn't he? So give the guy a break. He's only trying to do what anyone in his situation would do, which is to get to the highest level of competition.

As for "honoring" his contract, even assuming that everything in the initial post is true, does anyone know whether McBride is obligated by his contract to do any interviews, let alone this one particular interview? My guess is that he is not. Yes, it could certainly be good for MLS publicity if he did it, but, then again, maybe if he's this upset it's best if he not speak publicly right now. In a sense, his silence (as opposed to saying what's actually on his mind) might actually be demonstrating a certain amount of respect to MLS.

12. BoulderBuck

BoulderBuck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 11, 1999
    New York
    Hey Mark,
    I have been living in Pittsburgh all summer and I have frequently called into your show especially during the world cup. As for McB, the league is in a tough situation. He is a player who does not dominate MLS like many other players who went overseas, but unlike them, he is one of the most, if not the most identifiable players in the league. He is easily the most popular and recognizable athlete in columbus, ahead of all the bluejackets. The problem is, most european teams are not going to throw over $5 mil to mls for an american who is 30. Anything less than that, and MLS would rather keep him in the league for publicity. After following MLS since its inception, i have mixed feeling about the best in MLS taking off for Europe. I feel goaltenders should go, since all they would do is play against the top goal scorers in the world. This will only help them and the US national team. I also don't mind seeing defenders, such as Tony Sanneh go to europe for the same reasons as above. As for midfielders, I only advocate the move if they will be assured of playing time, which is never any assurance. Yes, Obrien and Reyna have succeeded there, but we forget about Eddie Lewis and Landon Donovan who have not done anything there. I believe had Lewis stayed in MLS, where he was tearing things up, he would have been soooo much better during the WC. Had Donovan stayed in Germany, well we all know he wouldn't have even made the WC squad. As for forwards, unless an incredible offer is made or they are nothing short of spectacular players, they should stay home. Here's why:
    Forwards need to score. Good forwards in MLS score. When these guys go abroad and dont score (like Kirovski, Joe Max Moore, Taylor Twellman, and Ante Razov, they dont play and lose thier cofidence and skill. they are better off scoring goal after goal in MLS and then taking that confidence to the world cup. Had Twellman begun his career in MLS, he would have been our starting forward during the past WC. I don't blame MLS for holding back the best Americans. They should live by the motto: "make me an offer i cant refuse."

13. mark madden

mark madden New Member

Nov 28, 2001
    pittsburgh, pa
    what, d'ya think i made up the mcbride story? it's ABSOLUTELY true. i do this for a living, y'know.

the debatable point shouldn't be whether or not mcbride will contribute in '06. it's whether or not the ussf wants MLS to get bigger and better even if, ultimately, the path forged to facilitate MLS progress is to the detriment of the national team. the mcbride story is merely a microcosm.

i DID, by the way, make up that 'rivaldo to the riverhounds' story. har. but don't tell anybody else, because i think i still have some people fooled.

14. Bill Russell

Bill Russell New Member

Apr 16, 2002
    Sounds like Brian is in a negotiation.

Not promoting MLS is probably the best of the little leverage he has at the moment. This is his last best chance to make some serious money at this game and he probably stands to do better in Europe than in MLS in that regard. Can anyone blame him for that? I don't.

If I'm Brian I'm telling MLS "if you won't release me or match my offer then I'll honor my playing contract -- but I won't be your 'Strike Force' poster boy. Go market your League on somebody else's shoulders. You want me to do that, you pay extra".

Go for it Brian.

15. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're misstating the debate a bit, as the USSF has no say in whether or not MLS sells the contracts of McBride or similar players. MLS is going to make those decisions based on what it perceives to be its own best interest. The existence of MLS is beneficial to the national team, but not every individual decision is to the national team's benefit. If they were only trying to help the national team, they would never sign young Central Americans, giving those players the chance to improve their game and perhaps beat the USA in the next round of qualifying.

16. notebook

notebook Member

Jun 25, 2002
    One aspect of this is that it is the middle of the MLS season. It makes a mockery of the league to transfer away your best players in the middle of a playoff race. To many MLS is no more than a glorified developmental league, but certainly the league can't be expected to view itself this way. Hopefully these situations with McBride, Mathis and others are resolved satisfactorily for all once the season is over. I think we would all love to see Brian get his shot in the Premier League and there is a good young forward behind him, Edson Buddle, that could use some playing time.

17. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH
    Mark,

Loved your stint on TV a few years back, BTW.

As far as McBride goes...there's a couple schools of thought.

1) He wants to leave and go for the right deal and right team. No one really expects to see him go to Norway (the latest rumor)...but perhaps England with the right amount of coin, he could uproot his wife and kid and move them out of nice Westerville private golf course living. And he wants to challenge himself at a higher level.

2) He'll stay because he knows he has a good deal here, pays less in taxes, and now has a family. He'll pull enough off of endorcements to move than cover what he would have made had he gone to England.

3) He's already been castrated and his wife won't let him leave.

Other random thoughts: I'm surprised that the Crew PR guy would say he's upset with MLS...kinda seems odd doesn't it? Why would a PR guy for a SEM team say that a player doesn't want to be here. That just seems odd that Weurth would say that....but then again...this is the Crew we're talking about.

Anyway, I'm going to post a link to this thread in the crew forum...that should help get some good responces for u.

18. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    But the USSF has little do with how MLS does business, at least when it comes to player movement. Ivan Gazidas doesn't depend upon Bruce Arena or Robert Contigulia to make decisions--I'm sure from time to time he seeks insight from peope at the Fed, but it's not the deciding factor.

Let's call a spade, a spade. MLS believes that players like McBride are more use playing (under their contract terms) in the US than the capital they could get from their transfers.

With the current depressed transfer market/economy, teams simply do not have the cash to throw around. If the World Cup was played in the summer of '01, then teams would most likely be bidding in figures that MLS would consider.

But reported 1m offers for McBride, 1.3 and 2m offers for Beasley, among others--MLS doesn't want to sell at those figures. Of course, they run the risk of angering these players and seeing them leave on a free transfer at the end of their contracts.

I can see both sides of the argument. But the Fed's main concern is the state of the game in the US, and the national team--and while those goals run hand in hand with a healthy MLS--the Fed doesn't make player decisions for MLS.

19. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I've got a great idea - since BL owns Landon Donovan and he wants to stay in the US and McBride wants to play in Europe - maybe we could arrange a swap - McBride for Donovan? BL gets a player at the height of his career, MLS gets a star to hang onto, and most importantly, San Jose wins its third MLS cup in 2003!

20. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH
    One final thought....

After the cup, McBride was on several of the local half hour TV sports shows on Sunday evening.

Every interview asked him if he would go to Europe or stay.

He gave the appropriate answer...."Right now I'm just concerned about the Crew, I can't speculate on that sort of thing".

21. Now i'll have to go harass this pretty boy tommorrow night at the meadowlands. I'm making my sign now " Mcstuck, the Virgin air flight left you in Columbus"

22. Damon_D.

Damon_D. New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    MD
    this is the Mark Madden formerly of WCW on BS? the best looking big man on television?

I loved you on every Nitro, you were the 2nd best wrestling annoucer I've ever heard, number 1 being Juvy "The Juice" Guerrera.

23. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Regarding McBride's contract end-time....
    http://www.dispatch.com/news/sports99/sept99/crew27spt.html

Unless he signed an extension that was unreported, or the above is incorrect, this is a moot point come December 31st.

Edited to say MLS holds options.
    http://www.mlsnet.com/content/99/0921teleconference.html (below is Gazidis)
    Further edited to say the option is for two years.

24. glove

glove New Member

Mar 20, 2001
    gaithersburg,md
    It scares me as MLS we all know operates in a vacuum. The single entity is worse than a free/open transfer market. Keeping our best here will not help it has not made any difference yet. Letting the best head overseas will showcase the league better than it has done now. More money will flow into the league than currently is coming in. League officials are smothering MLS or using it only as a training team for USSF. We cant compete with other leagues money wise so why hold onto players that are not generating instant revenue like a transfer will do. Vice a versa why is the league going to turn down Gazza as he will fill seats with those who love EPL. I know numerous people in DC who have not gone to a United game this year but would go to see Gazza with the hope he might spark DC to a late playoff rally. McBride deserves to write his own ticket if he wants to go let him go he has killed himself for MLS and US soccer.

25. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    No offense intended. Just skeptical by nature, especially since it doesn't seem to fit Brian's MO. Is it possible that the Crew PR person misstated the situation? As CrewSchmack said, it's strange that a "PR" person would say he's too pissed at MLS to be interviewed. Shouldn't there be some other spin, especially when dealing with someone in the media? Not saying you're making it up, just saying I will remain dubious, especially of the judgement of that PR guy.

If it's true, it's a shame that Brian would protest in that way. It's hard to imagine what good refusing to do interviews accomplishes.