Brian "Cobi" Span at Västerås SK (Sweden)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by iamalfred, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Berhalter and Reyna go WAY back together.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/cup2002/2002-05-16-jersey.htm

Wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if Reyna has a prominent role for Berhalter with NYC FC.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Jersey has produced loads of American talent.

3. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I'd like to point out that Brian would be starting his senior year of soccer this fall at UVA had he stayed in college.

4. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Very true or should be playing in MLS. He hits to move on either tries his luck in Europe or come play in MLS a team willing to develop his game. he hasn't played for his club for quite sometime. any news by the way?

5. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not surprised I wonder what he does next.... The team had a new manager I believe and Span was not highly rated with the team anyways. Should come to MLS or go on trial.

6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #157 OWN(yewu)ED, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    MLS lottery for this man. With so many going to MLS there will probably not too many of these left.

7. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If he does come back do you think he get to play for NYRB or which team would he benefit playing for in MLS? Good spot would be DC United.

8. DIF1891

DIF1891 Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Stockholm
    + Interesting qualities with unorthodox technique, fast and quick.

- Sort of frustrating body language, unconsistent, poor crossing.

If he can put it all together, he could turn into a good player. He just couldn't during his time with us.

Tom Collingsworth and Dervos repped this.
  9. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He's young and coming from a college playing background. He just needs time to get it and he can become a top player in the future.

10. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    If he can't make a mid-table Swedish team's roster it's not going to be easy getting a MLS contract.

He may be better off trying a team in Swedish 2nd div and getting some needed PT.

11. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nik Ledgerwood, Billy Schuler, and Baggio Husidic are all very apt counterpoints for that argument.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  12. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Uhhhh none of those guys went from being released in Sweden->MLS, none of them even went from Sweden->MLS. Two of them have never played in MLS.

Either way I said it wouldn't be easy, not impossible.

13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I just meant playing in the second division in Sweden as being a decent career move. Hasn't really worked out well for them.

14. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    any word on Span's whereabouts?

15. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    According to his Twitter he was in Philadelphia two weeks ago to watch the College Cup, and was at the Westchester Mall on December 18th. Also watching a lot of Arsenal. Doesn't look like a whole lot on the career front.

The internet is creepy.

16. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Will see what he does come January....

17. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Husidic was signed by the Galaxy after flaming out in the 2nd division. I think Span would absolutely be able to get a contract in MLS if he so chooses.

USvsIRELAND and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  18. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Steven Goff, Span is coming to MLS and at least 5 teams are expected to enter the weighted lottery for him.

INKRO, Tom Collingsworth and USAMEX10 repped this.
  19. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Damn MLS is really getting serious getting young talent in this league. I love it. Its really going to fast track the leagues progress. Maybe Gyau and Lletget should be its next targets if they dont get more PT soon. With Bradley reportedly coming back...things are looking pretty promising. Every season keeps on grabbing my attention more and more. I'm excited for the opening kick off

20. Brown Shark

Brown Shark Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Testudo repped this.
  21. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #172 Tom Collingsworth, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    Yeah, same here! I think Gyau and Lletget would be much much better off in MLS at this point. I have to believe both would start for several teams in the league from Day 1 and at their age if they excelled here they could always go back to Europe later.

As for Span, I'm not really a LAG fan but it would be pretty freakin cool from an USMNT perspective to see Span on one flank and Gyasi Zardes on the other from them. So much raw athleticism and skill for Bruce to mold!

USAMEX10 repped this.
  22. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Good luck to Brian! As a final post from me in this thread here's pictures from the last home game of the season where he and the others who were leaving the club were thanked by the fans:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Testudo, Hararea, Chance and 5 others repped this.
  23. Brown Shark

Brown Shark Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Upstate NY
    That's why i think it's so important for guys to start in MLS and for the league to get their structure and pay competitive. I commend Span for his drive to test himself in Europe but maybe his level was always MLS. Maybe if he does well here in 4-5 years he can try again.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Most likely team is FCD, with a 41% chance in the weighted lottery...........................

Brown Shark repped this.