Brendan Hines-Ike at Kortrijk (Belgium)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by iamalfred, Jun 22, 2015.

1. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW... Ireland is reaching out to Brendan

2. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Is that concerning? Based on passed interview he seemed pretty dedicated to playing for the USMNT (though he didn't have Irish citizenship at the time) and he is American born and raised. I would file it under "not that concerning" but what do I know.

3. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are concerned about losing Brendan Hines-Ike to Ireland, then it is concerning. If you are not concerned about losing him, continue to be not concerned.

I would say that he would accept an Irish call-up if offered

I think he sees the USMNT and sees Brooks, Miazga, CCV, EPB, Parker, Zimmerman, and then the Olympic qualifying guys of Glad and Trusty. He might not feel he's going to get a shot with the USMNT - not saying he deserves to be ahead of any of those guys either.

4. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed following the young mans career so far and look forward to following it as he hopefully moves on to bigger and better things.

The reason I'm not that concerned isn't because I think other younger options are certainly going to be better. The reason I'm not terribly concerned is his connection to Ireland seems fairly attenuated and that based on what I've read he feels pretty American and would prefer to play for the United States.

If he is able to keep moving forward in his club career he certainly has every chance of being a part of the US player pool.

5. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure he would rather play for the United States if given the choice. But if Ireland is his only choice, I think he will happily take it. And at 23, if Ireland comes calling, why wait for the United States if that offer never comes?

6. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    While it is true he is already 23 his professional career is fairly new given that he only made his pro debut in February 2016. He might want to give himself some more time to see if he can move on to bigger things and break into the usmnt set up.

I don't know what he will do obviously but that is a plausible line of thought.

7. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im not sure how much more attractive an option we are than ireland. hes been playing well for a couple of years while we missed the world cup and have spent a calendar year with an interim head coach who didnt even have that title for about 8 months. meanwhile every 18 year old in the pool who is on a euro roster (many who have 100 minutes of first team action or less) has been called in while hes never gotten a call. if ireland says they value you i mean...its better than what (we know) hes gotten from us soccer.

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Could Ireland really use him? Or is this Joseph Lapira 2.0 or Michael Parkhurst 2.0 (using the potential of an Ireland call-up to ensure Bradley calls him up first).

10. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I mean, does anyone really know how good Hines-Ike is? I sure don't.

Ireland's centerbacks are below-average Premier League players at best, so if he can approach that level, then yeah, they could genuinely use him.

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'd wager many of them are Championship level. But I haven't watched. But Championship is above Swedish league. But if he gets the move to the Eredivisie; his chances drastically rise, am i right?

12. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Judging purely by league/club pedigree, sure, but there have been some monstrously shitty players who have featured for otherwise good teams. It's hard to say without actually watching him play.

My inclination is to say that, if he's at all decent, Ireland could probably use him more than the US could.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #113 VBCity72, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    Looking at the defensive squad they used against us their active players (one retired) play for Everton, Brighton, Burnley, Cardiff, West Ham, Wolves, Brentford, Blackburn x2 and Sheffield U. 5 EPL teams and 3 C'ship teams. According to fivethirtyeight club rankings Orebro is ranked 394, one behind Sunderland.

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    They like North Ireland/Wales/Scotland seemed to have more favored status decades ago in England. Now, they're lucky to have 10 starters in the PL.

15. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    These two words together, ...underutilized.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  16. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like decades ago the only players in the EPL were from the UK. The transfer game is completely different from then to now especially in the EPL.

17. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interview with an Irish publication

http://www.punditarena.com/football...et-american-sweden-irish-footballs-next-star/

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    With a lot of players from Scandinavia too

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Bosman ruling and EU/EEA labor mobility have changed the face of the sport across Europe.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Can you be a bit more specific?

21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Bosman ruling in 1995 gave EU/EEA players 2 rights:
    1) the right to leave a club after his contract expired without any compensation
    2) the right to play for any club in the EU/EEA as a local, meaning the end of FA limitations on the number of foreign (but still EU/EEA) players on a team

The EU, in a series of steps, had established that EU citizens were free to move anywhere within the union and to work without restriction. This ultimately led to the Bosman ruling which guaranteed that clubs could "hire" anyone in the EU/EEA without restriction. And as the EU expanded, players from poorer countries would go to richer, better paying ones. Even lesser players could go and squeeze out the locals in some leagues by being better quality (or cheaper) than the existing local talent pool.

The EU/EEA became a huge single market of sorts and players moved wherever made the most sense (with only the concept of training compensation and perhaps existing prejudices getting in their way). Players from both Americas dug into their family pasts to get the valuable passport -- even some by fraud. Foreign players sought naturalization wherever possible to get into the game.

Add in that EU/EEA players can move at age 16 under FIFA rules to top clubs and academies (and parents can always move before that if they know how to play the game) and you have a huge mixing of national identities, a clash of club interests vs. NT interests, an advantage to national teams that could export their players to better clubs/academies than they provide at home (we see you, Croatia), frustration of NT fans in the league that can pay the best because they are the place all the best players aspire to, thus squeezing out the local boys...

Labor mobility is a huge game changer.

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Thanks for posting. I was more interested in its effect on the PL in particular though.

24. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Breaking!!!

@TheFalseNine - new thread title needed

25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #125 m vann, Jul 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    Nice step up for Brendan! Also a nice piece of business for Mr Vincent Tan’s club. High expectations will follow his record transfer fee. Looks like the fee was 6.5M kr (Swedish Krona = $750K USD). Great return for Orebro who signed Brendan after a trial. Brendan will have to get quickly Acclimated as I believe the Belgian season kicks off this weekend. His new club faces Anderlecht right out of the gate.