Brendan Hines-Ike at Kortrijk (Belgium)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by iamalfred, Jun 22, 2015.

1. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Vitesse, if they anticipate Miazga leaving.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. AZ is in my opinion the most likely candidate in that rumour. They have tried to sign CD's in the last couple of months. One of their candidates, Sandler, was snatched away by Manchester City.

3. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always nice when a thread you never go into warrants a look in.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Sup Bro repped this.
  4. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without an EU passport (I’m not sure If he has one or not), he’s really expensive in Holland. The club is really going to have to want/rate him

5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors on the street here in Denver - where he grew up - is that when he was exploring Europe and before landing at Orebro - he was trying to obtain I think a Scottish (or maybe Irish) passport via one of his parents. I don't know if he was able to obtain that passport but supposedly there is at least some lineage to warrant the exploration. I should find out, I have some mutual soccer connections through a teammate in one of my adult leagues.

Correct me if I'm wrong.... doesn't a non-Euro passport holder in the Eredivisie subject to a heafty 800K minimum salary?

6. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #81 bshredder, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
    I don't think it's that high, but it's high enough to make it a surprise that a 23 year old American defender with 0 international experience (outside of a few U-18 camps) from a mid-table Swedish team would find a Dutch club willing to pay it.

LouisianaViking07/09 and m vann repped this.
  7. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wikipedia makes it seem like his mother has an Irish passport. I'm not super well-versed in that arena, but my Mom got an Irish passport after a bit of rigamarole (so that it would be easier to travel there to see friends in Europe).

My Grandfather and my Mother both qualified for citizenship despite both being born here, but I don't believe that I do. So, it depends on how many generations he is from the boat. ;)

8. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Irish passports can be passed on indefinitely. The key being that the parent/grandparent has to register with the Foreign Births Register before next generation starts.

So if your parent or grandparent is born in the USA but was entitled to Irish citizenship, you can get Irish citizenship so long as your parent/grandparent was registered with the Foreign Births Register at the time you were born.

9. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh cool. How the heck do you know anything about Irish citizenship laws?

Even my own knowledge (shallow as it is) is pretty uncommon and incidental.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    citizenship in Europa is very confusing. Like you can be born in Italy (to a foreign parent) and not have Italian citizenship until you're 18 whereas the grandson of an Italian citizen who happens to grow up in the USA or Canada automatically has Italian citizenship.

And I really question when you see Scotland/Ireland/Wales national teams feature guys who only have their mom's mom as a link to the country and as such, can be representing them despite being from England or wherever.

11. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And here is your answer:

He only has an American passport as of right now.

His grandfather was from Ireland and he has applied for an Irish passport. The process has taken longer than expected but he believes he is in the latter stages and should have the Irish passport soon.

BostonRed repped this.
  12. That would open venues to several clubs in the top 6.

13. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the game I saw him play he looked like a poor man's Besler. Good at organizing, sensible positioning, smooth on the ball, but not a big tackler or aerial at his size/athleticism.

On one hand I don't think that's top Eredivisie club caliber (unless he's really improved since I saw him). On the other that style would suit his game.

Hard to believe he'd get paid 800k per. Realistically needs the passport.

Surprised even if he was valuated at this level that he'd make the jump direct. Precedent was with Denmark or league of their ilk as conduit.

bshredder repped this.
  14. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Parkhurst like?

15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's probably the better analog.

From an NT perspective, I don't think there's much there, but he could positively contribute to B-team GC's like Parkhurst did.

SUDano repped this.
  16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at you...........see........you always come through in the clutch. It's crap like that makes me waste even more time at work reading your artticles. Sigh.....but I guess that's n me and not you. :D ;)

Seriously, that's good news to hear. I am assuming since that lineage is not passed on directly via parent that it takes a little more time and understandably so. I hope that passport opens up a world of opportunty for Brendan. Good kid. Good family. He's worked his butt off to get where he is so hopefully Orebro provides that stepping stone much like it did for Bedoya.

bshredder repped this.
  17. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    Missing today's match at Djurgarden due to yellow card accumulation

18. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something-something, "MLS is better, why do we care"... ;)

I wonder if players going on to the Eredivisie/Bundesliga from Scandinavia will open back up the pipeline of USMNT players in Scandinavia, particularly as young players (especially attackers) are squeezed out of MLS. They may take a paycut, but if they have a longer-term payday that's better...

adam tash repped this.
  19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts:

edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  20. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    Final 2 - 1 in favor of Orebro. Brendan goes the full 90, as Orebro get back to winning ways, and move up to 4th place

21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Profile:

http://www.americansoccernow.com/articles/hines-ike-focused-on-orebro-amid-eredivisie-interest

“The season has gone quite well,” Hines-Ike told ASN from Sweden. “I think it's better than anyone was expecting. For myself, I am just very comfortable now within the team and I've taken that step in terms of where I am no longer getting used to the league and I am not a [prospect]. Now I have to show that I can play and be involved in big moments. I think I've taken a more leadership role within the team.”

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  25. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His injury is NOT serious and he could be available this weekend