brek shea

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Maximum Optimal, Jun 26, 2011.

1. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen Brek look positively brilliant and also awful against inferior competition. He needs to show he can do it against World cup-caliber competition. Concacaf competition need not apply. EPL will provide the testing ground assuming he gets a decent shot at Stoke.

2. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Panama is going to the WC and Honduras may as well, but I get what you're saying. Good thing that Hughes really likes him...I think if he shows what he did vs. the Union he'll get good PT...he was one of the better players out there

3. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Klinsmann lauds Shea ahead of upcoming friendlies
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ndo-city-left-back-brek-shea-ahead-friendlies

4. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Yeah, this part of his statements, "If he learns the defending side of the game", doesn't exactly fill me with hope when you consider we're discussing a 25 year old.

Although I believe Beasley was even older when he started playing as a left back, so you never know...

DiscoWarrior11 and ttrevett repped this.
  6. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beas, of course, had proven he had the discipline and character, at several levels prior to making the switch.

At best, Shea is still grappling with these variables.

WrmBrnr, ussoccer97531, exref and 2 others repped this.
  7. seeds

seeds Member

Apr 23, 2002
    NYC
    Beasley was a better and more complete professional player than Shea has shown up to now.

I can see why JK thinks Shea has some upside, but I don't get why he has to call it out at this point. Shea had a nice run for the goal against Chile, but he was also one of the guys guilty of falling behind the pace in the second half, despite the fact that he was coming over from Europe and not on a "four month beach vacation." Just once I'd like to see JK evaluating the player in front of him right now rather than the imagined potential only JK can see.

adam tash and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  8. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't worry. To quote a certain national team coach who once made it to the WC semi-finals, "Anybody can play left back."

9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Beasley's soccer IQ is off the charts though, and Shea is ...

FLSoccerGran and seeds repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    WrmBrnr repped this.
  11. sacpasse87

sacpasse87 Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Beijing
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup and I'd also like to see Robbie Rogers get a runout for the position as well, after all he's actually played and excelled for a not insignificant period

ussoccer97531 and seeds repped this.
  12. seeds

seeds Member

Apr 23, 2002
    NYC
    I have a feeling that ship has sailed. If JK thought Rogers was worth a runout at LB he would have called him into this last camp.

Martin Fischer repped this.
  13. sacpasse87

sacpasse87 Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Beijing
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope not...Klinsmann did say the only reason why RR wasn't called up in the last camp was due to the emphasis on Olympic age players...at the same time though, he did bring Brek Shea who's two years younger only...I don't get what goes on his head with regard to these odd personnel choices given his mantra that you need to be playing to get called up...

14. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shea is one dimensional on the wing. He is nothing more than a sub, some fans are OK with that others aren't. At LB it's a new position for him so you have to wait and see. If he started playing there earlier in his career he'd be better and not have such a learning curve.

I'm not sure if it was this thread or another one but a poster made a very good point. While Beasley's first LB outing didn't work out he was a much more accomplished player when converted to LB in his older age. And the poster pointed out his higher soccer IQ which is true. Shea has athleticism and some moments but he struggles combining final third, can't cut inside and threaten with his right etc. Shea plays at one speed. He is one dimensional at LW.

If he gets better defending and learns when to overlap he can be a serviceable LB but I don't think he'll ever be great there. Keep in mind Klinsmann loves Shea. Called him in numerous times when he wasn't getting time over in England. You'll see him on the Gold Cup roster whether you like it or not.

15. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Shea is not agile enough for a left back. Quickness and agility are crucial ingredients for an outside back. He may be straight ahead fast but not sure about his quickness, to say the least

16. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Against Antigua and Barduda, which was the context of the quote, JK is correct.

17. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's got a lot more strength than Beas at least. Beasley seemed to get pushed around early in his time at the position. Eventually, he found a way to compensate with positioning and quickness. Hopefully Brek can use his strength and speed to compensate for his errors in positioning.

18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not good enough for who? Real Madrid ? Sure. Our left back pool....?

19. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    yeah, I would think not good enough for our pool, personally. I would put Fab (way) at #1 and Garza number 2.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we are talking quickness and agility the competition between Shea and Garza isn't close.

21. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brek has been anywhere between fine and good this year at Orlando. No problem with the call up.

22. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Garza is way quicker, although Shea may be faster over distance. But I am a USA fan first so if Brek is all that, I will be happy.

23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not saying he's all that, more like a stable of Garza and Shea is better than he who shall not be named and Heath Pearce.

24. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I prefer FJ in more advanced positions. I like Garza and have no problem with him or Shea at LB.

25. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I thought he did ok against Vancouver. Didn't get into the attacking third much but seemed reliable on defense and as an outlet.