Brek Shea: the rumor has legs

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by lmorin, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That man they prefer happens to be a LEGEND of a striker. No offense to Brek, but he could not compete with that man.

2. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe he even dared. Henry>>>Shea.

3. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Henry would be to complement RVP up top.

Arshavin has been playing like crap and Shea would be a nice replacement for him and give Wenger a version of his own future Bale.

I would think they sell off Arshavin and bring in Henry for the loan/retirement and Shea at the same time.

4. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Retirement? Where are you getting this from? I doubt Henry is even considering retirement.

5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2003, sure. Now, I'd say they're pretty close. Henry has a better technique and shot, but Shea is much more mobile and faster. Also, his knees/back/hamstrings don't break down every few games.

6. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What has Shea did in Europe to give you that hope? I understand Beckham or Henry, they proved themselves to be legends in Europe but Shea?

7. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    To be fair, Shea was only 13 in 2003.

8. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Shea is not a European legend. That is true.

However, he just had a comparable season to Henry in MLS. Henry was one of the best players in the league. Shea was one of the best players in the league. They could probably do an equivalent job covering for Arsenal for two months.

I think the only reason Arsenal decided on Henry was sentimentality and cheapness.

9. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But we all know Shea was better in the MLS. Key word: MLS

Beckham was above average and the MLS and started for AC Milan. Donovan was the best player in the MLS and played for a mid table team in Europe and Milan wouldn't even talk to him as if he existed. What you need to be successful in the MLS is not that same that you need in Europe. Football IQ actually matters in Europe. Shea really needs to improve in that area. I think he could be a solid role player at his stage for Arsenal but not a 1st team player like Henry who would be in the role of Ryan Giggs for Man U.

10. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think football IQ is one of Shea's strong points. Despite looking like a madman/idiot, he seems to make good runs, passes, and decisions, at least in the USMNT games I've seen him play.

Obviously he lacks pedigree and is unproven on the world stage, which makes a "big" club like Arsenal hesitant to sign him. His large fee (I assume) definitely doesn't help. And he is not likely to want to go on a short loan like Henry.

However, I think Arsenal are really overrating Henry based on his history and legend status. He is unlikely to play more than a sub role for them and I contend that Shea could (theoretically) do that just as well. He would also be a better investment for the future.

11. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shea has too many Josh Smith(NBA Basketball player) moment to praise the few good ones I see. He has a sh*t load of talent. He can do a bit of everything and very good too. I think he might be more of a CB in Europe with his low Football IQ but I wish him well. He could be the American Roberto Carlos.

He doesn't just lack of pedigree, he isn't proven in Europe and since most Americans have failed in Europe, Shea is no different from receiving that ill press in terms of assuming. I like Shea, I think he is extremely talented but I would take Henry over Shea for Arsenal 10 out of 10 times. Henry can still score, he is a vet, he knows the EPL. You can say Kemba Walker is better than Vince Carter since VC is old. VC might be old and no where near the player he once was but he's a vet. He knows the game. He understands how to produce in this league. I have no problem with that move. Henry could start for Arsenal. We don't expect the old Henry but we expect a smart one who knows the game in and out and can at least give us 65 quality minutes. I am not even sure if Shea can get PT for Arsenal at this point. He is an unknown for the EPL.

12. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Vince Carter analogy is hilarious because I would sign almost any other player over him. Not only is he old, he was pretty lazy even when he was young.

But anyway, how do you know "Henry can still score"? Sure he scored 14 goals in MLS but Shea scored 11.

13. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because he can. That's the one skill you know Henry still has. He just has a great scoring instinct and Arsenal does a great job of passing and Henry is a very good finisher even at this stage. Look at RVP numbers this season. Ridiculous.

14. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey > Shea

16. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the game against Slovenia..instead of playing true wingers we played a LM and a RM. Look at Fabian Johnson's movement and passing. Shea can't play that way yet..

He can make good runs and make the right cross...but right now he is built for an up tempo game only.

17. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    what does the past have to do with the present? Romario is a lengend, no offense to Brek, but he could not compete with that man.

18. soccersonoma10

Apr 26, 2007
    Are you serious?

19. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't tell if he was or not.

Still, I think Henry's 236 (I think?) goals for Arsenal might have had something to do with it.

And in MLS. Henery 14 goals in 26 games, Shea 11 in 31. Both had 4 assists. Henry is the better player, and had the better year. Shea didn't do anything the last 2-3 months.

20. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I think that's the part that's being referred to as 'sentimentality.'

Tendentiously as he put it, I think that's partly true. Wenger can bring in Henry cheap, as nothing but a band-aid, and the fans will lap it up. Bring in some unknown for two months, knowing that even if he performs he can't affordably be bought, and they might just throw you off a bridge.

The other part, of course, is a trust issue. With Henry you feel like you know more about what you're getting. Fwiw, those feelings can be misleading, but I understand the motivation.

Henry is a center-forward; Shea is a wide midfielder--on a team that often had few options besides him offensively. (The next four highest scorers for NYRB after Henry had an accumulated 29 goals. The corresponding figure for Dallas is 16, and it's telling for Dallas that two of those four guys were defenders, and one was Ferreira, who got hurt 6 games into the season, leaving Marvin Chavez as the only other orthodox attacking player on the team who was even remotely productive.) It's natural that Henry would have more goals, but if you ask me who had the better year I'd say it's about a tossup. If you asked me who I'd want for 35+ games over the next 12 months in MLS, I'd probably rather have Shea--other things being equal. But of course they aren't.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    They're also completely different types of players...............so I don't know what a comparison of stats really tells us.

As an FCD fan I can tell you that Shea completely ran out of gas the second half of last season. It was his first year of being a full-time starter in MLS, and he had to deal with USMNT duty for the first time as well. He's just learning his craft. Henry is a finished product.............

22. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno.

I guess as an RBNY fan I have a different opinion on Henry from most people here. I understand that he is a legend, has had a great career, and was one of the best, if not the best, players in the world at some time in the past.

However, I feel like he is very little like that player now. Sure he has a great shot and still has great skill on the ball, and decent understanding of the game (although it's hard to tell in Backe's system). But he was one of the best players in MLS this past year (not really an MVP candidate) and so was Shea. So I think at this point in their respective careers they are approximately equal.

Of course I understand that many other factors come into play in Arsenal's decision. I honestly don't expect this Henry loan to work out that well for them (or for RBNY). At least there are no turf fields in England.

23. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    I share this view as well. But I can see why Aresenal would want him considering his past, but from an on the field POV I would try and get both players

24. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    If you need a short term fill in for President (laws aside) do you get Bill Clinton or Chelsea Clinton? Experience counts.

25. soccersonoma10

Apr 26, 2007
    Would you like me to tell you some of the many reasons why this is so ridiculous?
    1. They play different positions, so how are they equal? This is like saying that Ryan Giggs and Welbeck are equal. Makes zero sense.
    2. Yes, it is true that they were both 2 of the better players in the MLS. But, is that the only requirement to succeed for Arsenal? In that case, I could make a strong argument that Wondolowski would do as good a job as either of them on one of the top clubs in the world, right?
    3. MLS stifles a player like Henry. He is limited by those around him. On the other hand, a league like MLS allows Brek to showcase his admittedly different talents. Henry won't outrun people like he used to, or like Brek does.
    4. Henry has a wealth of experience at the highest level, both internationally and for his club. Brek has none.