Brek Shea: the rumor has legs

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by lmorin, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is MacLean American? If he is, well, that's not the way a Yank would talk. If he's British, I'm less skeptical that the quote is just flatout made up.

4. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canadian actually, go figure eh?

Here is his company: http://www.santiosport.com/santio/home

Mainly MLS players, no real ties to England from what I can tell. He does however have a pretty good list of clients from a North American perspective.

In any event a Skysports story about teams in the EPL wanting a young US player, no matter how vague they may be, is always a positive.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I always love the comments by readers at the end of articles like that.

This one cracked me up:

real good player but hard to judge if you only see him in the MLS, i would like to see hime at a smaller club to start but he is exciting to watch. Can't really see him at Chelsea (too michanical) City, United, Arsenal or maybe somewhere like Everton. get hime used to the league. Pity we can't produce players like him. well we have Barkley at Everton but none with the tecnique like Brek.

Ha. That's funny.......................

It is interesting to note that scouts from some big clubs were watching him against Honduras. I thought he had an OK game. His cross did lead to his goal, but I didn't think it was one of his better matches. He's looking comfortable with the USMNT now, but needs to start making more of an impact.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    In case people didn't see this from FC Dallas...........

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/soccer/post/_/id/13732/fc-dallas-responds-to-brek-shea-rumors

We have no information regarding any talks or communication around interest in Brek from any Club," said Cesar Velasco, Senior Director of Communications & International Business Development for FC Dallas. "He is signed until 2015 and our intention is for him to be part of our organization for the long term."

As Velasco says, FC Dallas re-signed Shea to a new contract this season that runs through 2015 and FCD is making it quite clear they want to keep the young midfielder. Even the chatter and rumor around the club indicates FCD has zero interest in selling.

No matter what they say, every player has his price..................and they most assuredly know about "interest in Brek." Maybe official talks/communication hasn't gone down, but they know about the scouts from around Europe watching his matches.

7. ebado

ebado Member

May 2, 2008
    Maclean works with Patrick McCabe. Same company, but you might hear McCabe's name a bit more.

edit: Also, all this is some Skysports writer following up the rumor from last week by calling Brek's agent.

8. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it's separate. Seltzer called Breks agent about the Man U, Man City, Chelsea rumor, which his agent laughed off last week. This new article is about Liverpool and and Man City being at the US/Hon match on sat.

9. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I wonder where MLS puts his pricetag at? I'd say he's around if not more than Jozy depending on how he keeps playing.

Jozy was 10milion USD.

10. ebado

ebado Member

May 2, 2008
    It's the same deal though. The team doesn't matter to the UK press. The just put what they see fit. No need for facts. THey'll add "such and such watched such and such at such and such game" every week or so until the have a nice big history of rumors.

11. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    I was thinking the same until the goal he set up. I rewound on that play and watched it again and noticed he did a great job playing simple, making a run to find the return pass, then sending in his cross.

Then I went back and watched other Shea attacking plays -- both before and after that -- focusing on his runs off the ball. They were exceptional. The play where he ran diagonally into the box, received, and took a quick shot. No one on our team makes that play that fluidly.

The only question I have is whether this was such a weak Honduras back line that he won't be able to repeat it. We'll see.

But his performance on Saturday -- at least the first half that I have been able to watch so far -- struck me as very good.

12. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd see Brek going for more than Jozy. More polished, if a little bit older.

13. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    Can't see him getting any playing time if he signs with the big four. What happened to Gabriel Obertan? Better off in Germany.

14. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    youth was one of reasons why Jozy's tag was so high. He had all the right tools and was ready for a couple seasons of developing and adjusting and would still have been younger then what Shea is now. It took a bit longer for Jozy due to some questionable loans, but he's righted himself.

10M is a hefty price tag and the 3 year difference between Jozy's departure and Shea right now is a big difference.

15. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the announcers said it best during the US/Honduras match about it being silly for him to move overseas to ride pine at this point in his career. He's just cracked the US national team due to club play. If he goes abroad to a big club and sits, he falls from favor. With options like Dempsey, Donovan, Williams, etc. to step up (even if its moving them from a different position) you want to keep getting those callups and playing time. A move to the big 4 would be foolish.

Perhaps a move to Holland or Germany would be a better fit, but even Germany he stands a chance to ride pine. I'd play another season or two in MLS, especially given that his tag will be pretty high b/c MLS/FCD dont want to just sell him for pennies (in their eyes).

16. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't put much stock in this article, but it has a price tag and a proposed loan situation so it is interesting to look at.

17. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Germany, most teams won't buy a player unless they're serious about playing them (as a starter, sub, or CL/EL depth player). Brek would probably start on a mid table club.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll be interesting how much influence the league office has on the price, compared to the influence that FCD has on the price.

19. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man U could be very interesting. At first it might seem he'll be stuck on the bench for a year or two, but Man U is usually pretty good about loaning out young players who won't see much time for them. The rumor above suggest Man U would be ok with loaning Brek back to FCD for a little while.

One thing that looks pretty clear, is that Brek will have a multitude of options. Hope he chooses wisely.

20. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Why are people so convinced he won't play at a big club?

21. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hot.

22. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a lot of that going on in England these days...

23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not. At some he'd compete for a starting spot, at others he'd come off the bench for a year or two, and then at others he might be loaned out for a year, to a mid-table EPL type team.

It's not as black and white as many make it seem. Depends on the club.

24. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will never have elite players if management or the player is afraid to play at the biggest stage. I don't subscribe to the idea that a player goes from MLS average to World Class by simply playing. In fact one could argue that Jozy Altidore's loan stint to Hull City negatively affected his growth. Shea should reach for the stars because he very well might grab one.

25. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always crack up when i read that in English articles. I recall reading once an article about a man having an attractive daughter that he'd no doubt be forced to beat off the neighborhood boys.

2 people repped this.