News: Brek Shea added to roster

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jun 22, 2008.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. notinthe18

notinthe18 Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Re: Break Shea added to roster

Yea, no Cooper. Hello, Bob. Brek Shea?

Bob calls in Moor and Shea, but no Cooper. He'll probably pick Alvarez and Oduro if he can before he'll pick up Cooper.

I just dont understand.

3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Kenny Cooper is not part of Team Try Hard clearly. Hopefully Brek Shea can be. Id take him over EJ frankly :)

4. sjclash

sjclash Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Oklahoma

If Brek wants to continue playing on the senior MNT then forget about scoring goals. Learn from Eddie Johnson, and bring some Chap Stick to kiss Bradley's a$$, then he will be called in for every game.

I think the U.S. players like Adu, Cooper and Parkhurst need to decline, if invited, to play for the national team under Bradley and maybe force the USSF to get rid of the bum. If the players boycott and revolt then maybe they will find a manager who deserves and earns the respect of the players.

Bob Bradley is a joke. He picks World Cup qualifiers to experiment rather than friendlies; if players don't suck up to him they never get a chance to prove what they have, and he is totally inept at in-game adjustments (AKA coaching/managing).

5. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm convinced Kenny Cooper stole Mike Bradley's girlfriend in junior high....

6. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe Cooper ruffled some feathers in camp during his previous call up. At least our rosters are beginning to look a bit more physically imposing.

7. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like the Brek Shea call in if he can get some playing time.

I'm still p*ssed off about the cooper though thing which others have already covered.

8. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow. I guess he is trying to help along (read: drive up the price of) the whole Brek Shea to ManU situation by calling the guy in. Very interesting indeed.

9. narko

narko New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    North Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Anyone think that... it may be Cooper refusing a call up?

10. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That roster is just the core of the Olympic team plus guys who are either in the off season for their club in Europe or do not have an MLS match this weekend. Cooper does not fit into any of those categories. It is not mysterious.

11. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The US is up by 8 goals going into the 2nd leg. I think Bradley can get away with experimentation since Barbados isn't much of a threat offensively, especially with the Goalkeepers we have (between Howard and Guzan).

Judging by this article, they've lost half the team that played the US in the first leg, so they're not gonna be much of a threat anyway:

http://www.nationnews.com/story/152561646475513.php

12. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

By recent standards, I think I've earned a call-up!

13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

no.

14. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Break Shea needs some int'l experience for his working papers in the UK. Rumor has ManU interested in him. I don't see how 1 game would be sufficient.

15. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

I may be the only one, but I think Bradley has called him solely because of United's interest...

16. jpoler1

jpoler1 Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Bedford, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Never seen this Brek Shea kid before (his name reminds me of a Rickshaw) Anyways, why is Man U interested in this kid? He must have some potential, I like the call up especially given the forwards that were called up for this leg of qualifyingying were shite in my opinion. Maybe Bradley is trying to get him some Int'l experience to boost his resume for potential clubs in England? Whatever the case maybe, I hope to never see Wolff, Rolfe, or T-Rex Twellman play for the USMNT again!! I would like to see a player I have never seen before start before any of those clowns take the field. I hope to see him today.

17. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bold added.

Yup. Really very obvious what the callups are for.

Barrett is a bordeline Olympic guy (in fact I doubt he makes the 18 man roster in the end). Nowak wants another look. Shea had a decent Toulon Tournament, one of the very few who did. So Nowak wants another look. Virtually none of the players called up (except for Moor) have a club match this weekend. It is amazingly simple to understand.

Plus, this is a match that will be far less competitive than the team's scrimmages this week. Barbados would struggle in the USL minor leagues.

Simple and obvious. Nothing to get bent out of shape over.

18. Skurwiel007

Skurwiel007 Member

Jun 12, 2004

He wants another look.Give me a break , man. It looks like he is an idiot.:D

19. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO

He did very well in a U-23 tournament in Toulon, France, agaisnt older competition is what I read, and impressed some scouts.

20. wooglin12

wooglin12 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was going to skip the US men's game to watch that other game... but the potential of Brek playing has changed my mind. He was fun to watch against Turkey in Toulon... I'm hooked.

21. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003

Barrett does score goals, sometimes. He's got to be on the list of potential strikers for our U-23's. If Barrett ever just "pulled it all together" he could be quite good. But if you go by the "plays and succeeds" standard Barrett as a U-23 candidate qualifies easily.

Shea is the opposite. He doesn't play as he's so young and new to the pro game. But he has talent, as shown in Toulon. He's also got great combos of size and athletic ability. Fantastic prospect and the kind of guy I personally am screaming for MLS to put on the field. If MLS teams would look a bit further into the future than 1 game at a time they'd see their long term benefits of playing this kind of guy. If it works out even close to his potential they sell him for serious cash or he becomes an MLS star.

22. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brek Shea never left the bench in the USA's 1-0 victory over Barbados leaving questions as to why he was included in the first place. Oh well, free trip to Barbados.

23. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Who cares? Man people will reach for anything.

Bocanegra didn't come off the bench either...damn that Bob Bradley...:rolleyes:

24. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I very much doubt you'll see Brek complain.