Breaking into the first team.

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by ChickasawLand, Jun 6, 2019.

1. ChickasawLand

ChickasawLand New Member

Leicester City
    Mexico
    Jun 3, 2019
    So, my 06boys player is on the "B" team for his club. It's a strong club that actually has a C and D team at his age level, so it's a good team with talented kids also. Anyway, he was originally on the A team when he first went out for competitive, but his coach demoted him because he wouldn't track back on defense and was "lazy" at 8 years old. (He was). Then the age change happened and he got stuck on the second team. I think right or wrong in the coach's mind he was "good but lazy", but that hasn't been true since he was 9.

He's spent the last 3 tryout years IMO outplaying A team kids, but at the end of the day, always on the second team. It's been fine, though, because we love the coach, the other kids and the parents, too.

Finally, this year, there was a new coach at the top, nothing out of the ordinary, they usually spend a max of 3 years with any age group and because of the birth year change, he had actually spent 4 years with some of the kids. New guy says that no one's spot is safe and all would get a good look. Great, now's our shot. My son had a fabulous tryout. They let us know that email invitations would be sent out last night for the first team. Then, nothing, no invitation. I'm thinking what do we have to do to break in? They rostered 15 keeping the whole team together except for a new guy from Texas who is moving here, but he took the spot of a guy from here moving to Texas, and the B team striker (and my son's best friend) who is an all-world goal scorer and was only on the B team because he was in his own words "fat and slow". He's not anymore. He took the spot of an 07 who was playing up but couldn't keep up with all the kids going through puberty anymore.

But then, the first team coach called me this afternoon. He wants my son and another teammate of his to double roster. They will register with the second team, and then practice and guest with the first. We'd play with both teams but maybe not the regional league for the time being? I don't know all the details yet.

So, any advice on navigating this? I actually think this is a good way to go although I am concerned about jealousy taking time from a kid that is still there at the end of the day instead of being bumped to a different team.

2. TheKraken

TheKraken Member

United States
    Jun 21, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems you like the club, so I think it's about how your son feels. If he is happy with the situation and wants to improve, then practicing with the first team will be beneficial. It is also the best place to show them why he should be promoted. I've seen some good players on B teams that get stuck with a stigma for one reason or another. You get a chance, you take it.

Cantona's Eyebrow and bigredfutbol repped this.
  3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you should take the deal if your son thinks he likes the new coach. He's basically looking at your son and thinking he likes him but also knows he's been on the B team for several years. This is your son's chance. I'd say go for it.

4. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    Everything The Kraken said :thumbsup:

Time for your son to show what he can do. Remember football is a game of opinions; one man's trash is another man's treasure. If he shows more, in the eyes of the coach, than some of the other players he'll be in.

Personally, I wouldn't stand for a lazy player. Football is a team game, and there is nothing as demoralising for a team than carrying someone who doesn't track runners, work hard to win possession, or make those gut busting runs to support forward play.

If your son has recognised that this was a deficiency in his game, then that is worth its weight in gold. A player who can recognise shortfalls in their game, can except constructive criticism and work hard to improve will always do well in football, as well as life.

Best of luck to the young man.

5. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    I agree with everyone else. Training and occasionally playing with the 1st team will show the coach if he has what it takes. Aren't 06s playing 11v11? They are around here. 15 seems like a low number to roster.

6. ChickasawLand

ChickasawLand New Member

Leicester City
    Mexico
    Jun 3, 2019
    #6 ChickasawLand, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    Thanks all. No , he's not lazy anymore. He's always been a good technical player with great foot skills and close control, but this past year as the first playing full field 11v11, his coach moved him to playing mostly outside back. Mainly at first because he was the fittest on the team, but he really made it his own. He's spent a whole year sprinting from end line to end line, it's no issue now at all.

No, his issue now as I see it is hanging on to the ball too long (a natural problem for good dribblers). That first team really moves the ball well and it's what he needs to recognize and adapt to.

7. ChickasawLand

ChickasawLand New Member

Leicester City
    Mexico
    Jun 3, 2019
    #7 ChickasawLand, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    That's the way this club does, at 6v6, they rostered 9 per team, at 8v8/9v9 they rostered 11/12 . Last year the second team also rostered 15. It did end up being a problem as we had injury problems. a couple of local league games we only had 12 dressed and we took a couple of third team guys to a tournament last year so there would be 14 kids ready to play.

I do know the second team coach said he wanted to take 16 kids this year, and the 1st team will have 17 with my son and his teammate added to the mix.

8. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    I get the more players, the less playing time, but IMO, there should be at least 5 subs at 11v11, and I think 7 is better. As you mentioned, injuries can be a big issue.

Last year we had 18 on our roster. For one tournament (a showcase no less), we had 4(?) injuries... broken leg, torn ACL, sprained ankle, and a concussion. We had more injured players on our bench than subs.

To clarify... the injuries all happened prior to the tournament, not at the tournament.

mwulf67 repped this.
  9. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Couldn’t agree more…clubs sell short-rostered teams with the idea of “more playtime”…and for many parents it seems like a reasonable and good thing. IMO and experience, it tends to cause more problems than over-sold benefit of playtime….The reality is short-rostering teams is usually just a financial strategy to increase the number of checks being written….

10. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019
    My daughter started off on the B team for a major club in Chicago. Played at a high level for the B team, thought we were looking at an A spot after tryouts. Performed well but didn't make the A team. Was given practice time with the A team instead which we took. Player left and opened a spot for her. Then played on two teams for a season before moving full time to the A team. Now an Elite player.

My takeaway was my DD was lacking in something, for us it appeared footwork and speed which she worked on. Having said that, was better than bottom of the A roster. Those players came from other clubs so they get special treatment when they come in.
    Playing for two teams is a positive thing. Have a discussion with coach end of season to determine your kids role going forward. If it doesn't make sense, leave.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  11. EverRespect

EverRespect New Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Club:
    --other--
    Sounds like being double rostered will give him the opportunity to shine with the A team. If he takes advantage, he will be able to move into A team full time.

12. ChickasawLand

ChickasawLand New Member

Leicester City
    Mexico
    Jun 3, 2019
    I think it will be, and like I said, it's a winning side and why would they want to disrupt them especially before the South Region Championships in two weeks, their season is still technically not over. This way they can bring him along slowly.

13. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    You're not going to disrupt them. DS's team won state and therefore qualified for Region II Championships in two weeks. Tryouts are still this weekend. This is to set up NEXT year's team.

14. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Top of B is always better than bottom of the A. Throw in training with A and occasional games.....take it. Best of both worlds.