/ Breaking In K-Leather Boots /

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by LaLiga1989, Jul 25, 2006.

1. LaLiga1989

LaLiga1989 New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    Ecuador
    Hi,

I was just wondering which would be the best way to go about breaking in new k-leather boots the "right way". I've heard many ways of doing it, like the shower trick(putting the boots on in the shower), but I don't know which way would be the best way to break in my new Kelme Masters. A little help from you guys, or maybe Dr. Leather?

PS: For the Big Soc. Mods., if there are some good responses to my question, is it possible to put this thread as a sticky for other newbies; it would be quite helpful to them and would prevent the question from popping up again. Thanks a Bunch! :)

LaLiga 1989

2. óleóle12

óleóle12 New Member

Dec 28, 2003
    Midwest
    The right way would be just from normal use, I guess.

Soaking them in water involves some risk.- I do this, w/o problem, but some people manage to screw it up.

3. alco_soccerstar

Nov 3, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all my shoes, no matter the upper material being leather or synthetic I wear them around the house for a few days before i even go outside to fool around in them. It helps them to contour to your foot, without the blisters of taking them directly to play in.

4. Its Swanny

Its Swanny New Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Midwest, USA
    I literally opened the box for my Absolutes, put them on my feet, and played a 90 minute match without any problems what-so-ever.

With k-leather, the only "break-in" you need is getting your feet used to the insole.

I 'spose putting some of that anti-sole seperation stuff on is a good thing, but I've never used it and I'm still using my Precisions and Manias without any sole problems.

5. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, modern shoes really don't need much, if any, break in time. I woke my kangaroo epidermis shoes first time for a 90 minute game, and felt like I could do another 90 afterwards.

6. wb wilson iv

wb wilson iv New Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    I agree with that. I tried a new method of breaking in some synthetics today and it seemed to really work. Soak your socks in hot water. Immediately after putting them on, throw on your boots. then run in them for about 10 minutes straight (i did so on my treadmill in the garage) then afterwards turn on your shower and soak the outside of each boot. dry off the bottom so you dont slip then run another 5 minutes. After those 5 minutes continue to wear the boots for about 45-60 minutes. this seemed to really work for me hope it helps:D

7. wyman

wyman Member

Jul 23, 2006
    New York
    I've done various things on baseball gloves, but for best glove (Wilson A2000 model L), I used a very small amount of Vaseline at the start, played catch with it, and always kept a ball in it at night. It's perfect now.

For soccer shoes, I've never tried this, as they're usually softer than baseball gloves. I may do it on my next pair.

8. FrigaTSF19

FrigaTSF19 New Member

Jun 5, 2006
    USA
    if you have the right size cleat.not to big and not to small, you shuldnt have any problems with feet problems. and could wear them right out the box.

9. Dr Leather

Dr Leather New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Brisbane
    Dear forum,

Sorry to reply so late but have been busy drag racing:D ....... but back on to topic.

I would suggest that really there is very little need to do anything!!!! I agree the shower trick is completely unnecessary, because the tanning process allows the leather to conform as a natural part of its structure. But it is very important to purchase shoes that fit your feet well. I also agree on wearing them around the house for an hour to get the insole bedded in. But the leather will be soft straight out of the box. It again has to be remembered that the way the boot breaks in as most describe it is very dependent upon the construction of the shoe.

However......... we do not supply all the K-Leather in the world. We do not presently supply Hummel, Kelme, Lotto or Puma. So I am unsure how the boot will react from the original post as it is a Kelme, and I would assume it is tanned in Italy. I'm not going to go into detail, but I would suggest that the raw material that the Italians purchase is not the best;)

Hope this helps. And make sure you look after your boots by giving them a regular and simple clean.

Cheers,

Dr Leather:D .

10. Paul.eta

Paul.eta Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Dr Leather,

Do you think if I were to microwave my boots (10-15 sec) to get a 'conformed/fitted insole' that they would have any adverse affect on the materials of k-leather or the plastics? I've done this with basketball shoes to break them in, but never thought of trying it with football boots.

Cheers

11. Echo_

Echo_ New Member

Jul 15, 2006
    man you guys do some weird things to break them in

ive always just worn them around the house for a bit then played with them in a practice or two and they are fine

12. Dr Leather

Dr Leather New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Brisbane
    Microwave technology (and each oven has many different wattage power outputs)works through the excitation of molecules, including water. Thus the moisture (which naturally will be about 16% in the leather as ambient) will be excited. Of this 16%, 12% are 'bound' to the fibre structure with the other 4% free. I would not recommend this as an action to try as it might damage the fibre structure. Microwave drying technology was tried in the industry back in the late 1980's.......without success. Thus I can't recommend the action. Besides that, the fact is that the boot is made from a number of components other than leather and I cannot vouch for what might happen to those.

I would suggest you microwave the insole and replace ASAP and stick your foot in the boot.

Rgds,

Dr Leather

13. DarrenOHooligan

Apr 19, 2004
    Fanita Rancho Elite
    I have a great technique for breaking in leather boots...

I wear them to a game, and play in them... seems to work great...

Not to be a jerk or anything, but this seems rediculous, is this really an issue for people?? I guess i'm from the old school when you get boots, you put them on and play in them. No goofy shower tricks, or anything like that, just put them on and play... my how times have changed...

14. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It did a long time ago, when shoe making technology was not as good. The things simply would not fit without those tricks. Even though shoes have progressed a lot since then, the old-player's tales have not.

15. RealFutbol21BG

RealFutbol21BG New Member

Jul 29, 2004
    North Carolina
    I had 6 pairs of Pulses and never got a single blister from any of them. One of the pairs, I pulled out of the box and wore for an 80 minute game with no problems. I'm sure I could do the same with my Absolutes, but I haven't tried. Anyways, my point is that I don't think any good K-Leather boot is going to take much breaking in.

16. soccer4life_7

soccer4life_7 Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Canada
    same here just got abs this mornin and wore them to practice tnight(which was a fitness practice) and i did not get any blisters .. but with my vapors and aztotal 90's i did :S