Breakers vs Atlantica in NEW BRITAIN, CT 8/21/10

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by AMBreakers, Aug 16, 2010.

1. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never forget that you have karma on your side.

2. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Awesome! Is she a holding midfielder???

:p

1 person likes this.
  3. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I think this move makes ATL better and *more likely* to play well. But at no point since I read about ATL hiring O'Sullivan did I think it was a good hire. I was willing to be convinced otherwise but nothing I saw from him moved me past "dubious."

5. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Breakers newsletter:

Both teams are without key players due to National Team duty. Boston will be without defenders Ifeoma Dieke and Alex Scott and midfielder Kelly Smith. The Breakers will also be without midfielder and co-captain Leslie Osborne who suffered a season-ending broken collar bone as the result of a blindside foul inflicted by Sky Blue FC forward Patricia Panico in this past Sunday’s 4-0 victory over Sky Blue. The Beat will be likely be without forwards Eniola Aluko, Johanna Rasmussen and Ramona Bachmann.

6. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you're quick Dan!

Yea, if they are indeed without Rasmussen and Bachmann as well as Aluko I like our chances a bit better....

7. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get toooooo excited... if their replacements know how to shoot low to a corner instead of blasting it at the GK like the missing players seem to tend towards we could be in trouble lol.... in any case, it should be an interesting match! "HOPE" to see you there!

8. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Boston Breakers, Boston Univ. Women's Soccer, Norwich City, Charleston Battery
    Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few questions.....

1) Where in the stadium are you guys planning to set up the Dock? I would highly recommend having it on either corner of the side OPPOSITE the press box/bench areas. A better view and closer to the pitch.

2) When is your bus arriving and are you tailgating in the parking lot beforehand?

3) Is the Afro Brazil drum section coming?

9. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    I think Boston has some players hungry to get back on the field (Hemmings, Bogus, Igwe), so they'll be okay. And judging from all the tweets, they will be wanting to win this one for Osborne!

10. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Alas, Afro Brazil is not available this weekend. They've got a gig elsewhere.

11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. Thanks for the info.

12. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the WPS roster report:

Week 19: Aug. 16-22, 2010

ATLANTA BEAT
    UNAVAILABLE: Johanna Rasmussen (Denmark National Team duty)
    NOT ROSTERED: Amanda Cinalli, Mallori Lofton-Malachi, Rebecca Nolin, Lauren Sesselmann
    SEASON-ENDING INJURY LIST: Tobin Heath (ankle), Manya Makoski (knee)

BOSTON BREAKERS
    UNAVAILABLE: Ifeoma Dieke (Scotland National Team duty), Alex Scott (England National Team duty), Kelly Smith (England National Team duty)
    30-DAY INJURED LIST: Sarah Walsh (knee)
    SEASON-ENDING INJURY LIST: Cynthia Morote-Ariza (knee), Leslie Osborne (clavicle)

Aluko wasn't called in for England? Doesn't seem fair........

13. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the BBC:

"England squad: Brown (Everton), Chamberlain (Chelsea), Bassett (Birmingham City), Bradley (Lincoln), Johnson (Everton), Rafferty (Chelsea), A. Scott (Boston Breakers), Stoney (Chelsea), Susi (Chelsea), Unitt (Everton), F. White (Arsenal), Chapman (Chicago Red Stars), Houghton (Arsenal), J. Scott (Everton), Williams (Everton), Aluko (Atlanta Beat), Carney (Chicago Red Stars), Clarke (Lincoln) K. Smith (Boston Breakers), S. Smith (Lincoln), E. White (Arsenal), Yankey (Arsenal). "

And, from the FA itself:

Forwards

Kelly Smith

Boston Breakers

Eniola Aluko

Atlanta Beat

Ellen White

Arsenal

Theoretically, she's in Austria, but I guess we'll see tomorrow.

14. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHAT??? You would believe the BBC and FA websites over the offical website of WPS??? :eek:

15. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Dowie from Everton was called up late as a replacement, the day before the England squad flew to Austria. I guess it is to replace Aluko.

16. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aluko is not listed in England's 18 in the pregame lineups per the UEFA site. Looks like she'll be in New Britain.

17. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Aluko is here with the Beat for this evening's match

18. AtlBeaterteacher

AtlBeaterteacher New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    last I heard Mundy was still recovering from her knee injury. She has been off crutches around 4 weeks or so.

19. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I am surprised she allowed to play. If you pull out of your national team I am quite sure you are suspended for the next club game :confused:

20. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Andy - Any word why she and Bachmann are not in Europe?

21. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Boston Breakers, Boston Univ. Women's Soccer, Norwich City, Charleston Battery
    Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure enough, them having Bachmann and Aluko was the difference. I also notice a trend that the Moore/Igwe back line collectively can't get it done. I think the contribution Dieke has made to this team since her signing has been the difference in the team's overall turnaround. Her/Scott together are that valuable.

Great job by everyone in Riptide, although the crowd overall was smaller than I expected....some more advertising might have helped?

Aluko taunting the crowd after the goal was funny......

Thanks again to all the Riptide folk for making the trip down. I'm sure Tony D. appreciated it.:)

22. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Igwe was on the back line she was horribly out of position all night, looked like was she the holding mid. She had a very tough night, late to the play, tough touches, porr passes, couldn't find her mark. Was surprised lctd left her the field as long as he did. Hemmings was at right back. Moore made some solid plays, looked like some miscommunicaion between her and Lepelbet a few times. Neither one had anything for Aluko's speed.

23. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what makes Dieke such a good fit; she can catch up to players who break through the line and steer them over to where Amy is. That happened in the Sky Orange game for example.

24. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although the result was disappointing, kudos to Andy Crossley and the staff for doing a great job at their temporary home. From what I could see and what I experienced, a very smooth operation!

The Dock sounded great and made a huge impact on the atmosphere, nice work by the Riptide!

25. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All good calls, that is pretty much how it went down. Hemmings held her own IMHO. Igwe is not Osborne, that is for sure. That combined with the lack of speed at CB made the difference. I was surprised that Del Rio didn't get the start, I would have preferred to see her on the field and drop Angeli into Osborne's spot that she played earlier in the season. But that's just me :)

Damn Powell for not calling Aluko in :(

The last 5 minutes were pretty exciting, with Atlanta going into prevent mode and Boston throwing everyone forward. If the game lasted another 5 minutes (or if the Boston subs and tactics change had started 5 minutes earlier) they may have pulled out a totally undeserved result from this match.