Brazil's Serie A TV rights

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Gyro62, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    I think that's for internet only, hopefully GOLTV will still show some games.

2. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
  3. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Jesus, what a mess. The league needs that international exposure there. They can rely on PFC International alone to get those eyeballs in elsewhere...

4. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    All South American teams need more money to try and keep players at home, they are leaving so young that some never play for the first team once.

5. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    *can't

6. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Half of Palmeiras matches are not aired in Brazil, because they refused to sign with any Globo channel.

At least in Mexico, each team sells TV rights for home matches only. They can choose air TV, basic cable, PPV, internet, whatever.

But in Brazil, teams sell rights for all matches, and if two teams have different agreements, nobody gets to show the match. It's ridiculous.

jcvf90, Redbullsnation2012 and daniloni repped this.
  7. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    Palmeiras wants to get paid the same as Flamengo and Corinthians but does not get the same TV ratings, the difference in fan base is enormous, so that's the impasse.
    The same happens in Spain with Barcelona and Real Madrid getting more TV money.
    The solution to this problem is in Palmeiras hand, take less money or a lot of games won't be shown, I don't see TV Globo caving.

8. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    As I said, if two teams have different agreements, it can't be aired. There's a legal problem.

9. alexolympiacos

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
  10. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    Fanfoot failed to come up with the money, negotiations went on with two other investors and they came to an agreement with one of them, but on the day the deal was to be signed the investors tried to sneak language to the effect that there was gambling interests involved in the deal, the clubs turned down.
    Negotiations are on going with different companies but nothing concrete yet.

11. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  12. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    By the way, the international TV rights to Brasileirao have been sold to an investment company that will in turn sell to broadcasters around the world.
    It would be nice if ESPN+ would get it but it will most likely end up at GolTV again.

13. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Sling TV is now promoting the addition of a new channel "Premiere" in HD "soon." They are also promoting the addition of SBT Internacional in HD "soon" too. These channels will be part of the highest priced Brazilian package, apparently.

There is no soccer on SBT in Brazil, as I recall, but they do have some interesting entertainment/variety shows. I think Premiere is Globo TV's soccer premium channel, or channels, because I think they have several of them, kind of like BEIN Connect. This could be interesting, especially since PFC Internacional is also a Globo channel, and is only in SD, at least for now.

14. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #15 daniloni, Jul 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  15. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Glad I saw this. Did you re-up yet? I canceled as well because the idiots at BeIN were focused on endless replays of PSG, Real, and Barca instead of dipping into their 10+ year archive. But if Sling has games from the Rio state championship (I think they're the only one back) then I'm down (esp. with Cloud DVR and on demand).

If you did re-up, are any of the channels HD or are they all SD?

16. alexolympiacos

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Wow, fantastic news!

I just noticed I get world sports for free with my package.

So I end up adding Brazil for no money.

17. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven’t reupped because I don’t see evidence that they’ve been added yet. But the press release says that the channels will be in HD.

18. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I JUST re-upped. 14 days Free. I will post after I explore the Brazilian package.

19. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Only PFC in SD right now. Which is why I got rid of Brazilian package. Tons of games, yes, but garbage quality.

20. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Plus most of those games are 60 minute highlights on PFC. I'll keep waiting until Libertadores/Sudamericana returns. I have 0 interest in La Liga since the league is done before it begins. I can predict the winners for the next 5 years: Real Barca. So, no need to pay just for BeIN. If there were Brazil channels in HD, that would be great.

21. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    Grupo Globo Premiere Esportes in Brazil has one main channel that is on 24 hours, the other 7 channels are overflow, they only show live games on the overflow channel no replays at all, they only have a channel logo on screen before or after live games, unless it's going to be different on Sling.

22. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I asked them on Twitter when the channels will be added and they tweeted back, “at this time there is no information.”

23. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    Nothing but old game replays right now, Paulista League confirmed to return July 22th.

24. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    I'm surprised at this announcement from Sling because I know that a contract was signed with a company other than Globo to sell international rights to Brazilian soccer, unless it does not cover the US.