Brazilian roster for the Gold Cup

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by MIGkiller, Jun 25, 2003.

1. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Brazilian U-23 coach Ricardo Gomes has announced the first 2 players for the Gold Cup next month, who play overseas:

- midfield: Thiago Motta (Barcelona-SPA)
    - foward: Ewerthon (Borussia Dortmund-GER)

The roster will be completed in 7/2 with 16 players from the domestic league, likely including Kaká, Robinho and Diego.

http://oglobo.globo.com/oglobo/Esportes/108739841.htm

2. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    Will Brasil take this tournament seriouly or is this a tuneup or preseason for them?

3. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    For them it's a preparation for the pre-olympic tournament, so there'll be more experimenting than anything else, again.

4. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    In English:

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Brazil confirmed on Tuesday that it will send an under-23 team and not the senior side to the CONCACAF Gold Cup in the United States and Mexico.

The Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) said under-23 coach Ricardo Gomes would include two foreign-based and 16 home-based in the squad for the tournament, which will take place from July 12-27.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=270455&cc=5901

They will put a bit more emphasis on this now since the Confederations Cup is over. It is like MigKiller said. Also, the Confed Cup was disappointing in the way the CBF was organized and although I don't think Parreira is the manager of the Gold Cup, poor results may still be tacked on to him. He isn't under fire yet, but you better believe the pilot on the stove is clicking.

IMO I am a bit more excited about this group of players and do agree with this strategy. Good to get a look at how the young players go. I think the CBF will be looking to at the very worst make the semi-finals - although they are in the "group of death" in this tournament.

5. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    I hope this team plays good, I'm ready for some magic.

6. MathuzaLem

MathuzaLem New Member

May 30, 2003
    SP, Brazil
    Leão said that Ricardo Gomes was going to convoke 7 players from santos (6 are starting lineup in santos), but Leão only will let 3 or 4 players go, or santos will play 6 games in Brazilian league with a reserve team...

7. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Diego and Robinho join U-23 squad for Gold Cup!!!!

This just in.

Ricardo Gomes has just called up Santo's wonder duo Robinho and Diego for Brazil's U-23 which will play in Concacaf's gold cup. Great news. Been waiting to see these guys play. Kaka is also playing.

8. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Roster completed

U-23 coach Ricardo Gomes completes the brazilian roster for the Gold Cup:

Goleiros: Gomes (Cruzeiro) e Alexandre Negri (Ponte Preta);
    Laterais: Maicon (Cruzeiro), Adriano (Coritiba) e Coelho (Corinthians);
    Zagueiros: André Bahia (Flamengo), Luisão (Cruzeiro) e Alex (Santos);
    Meias: Paulo Almeida (Santos), Fabrício (Corinthians), Julio Baptista, Kaká (São Paulo), Carlos Alberto (Fluminense), Diego (Santos), Paulinho (Atlético-MG) e Thiago Motta (Barcelona-Espanha);
    Atacantes: Robinho (Santos), Nádson (Vitória), Nilmar (Internacional) e Ewerthon (Borussia Dortmund-Alemanha)

http://oglobo.globo.com/especiais/brasileiro/mat/108827628.asp

9. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Inter's NILMAR comes as a GREAT callup, but also will hurt my Inter by not being there for 6 games.

NILMAR is better than ROBINHO!

Take note.

10. brazil2002

brazil2002 New Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Porto Alegre, Brasil
    I'll drink to that,I am glad that Carvalho is staying,we need him.Nilmar will rock,I have seen him play this season.

11. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I'm looking forward to seeing these guys play together. SHould be interesting. You think Nilmar is really that good? ;)

Looking forward to seeing how Carlos Alberto plays too. Santos and Cruziero got hit hardest with the call-ups.

12. trmbrasil

trmbrasil Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nadson of Vitoria, as much as I hate to admit, is having a great year and I believe is vice-artilheiro of the Brasileirao right now. He is a good pick by Gomes and should put a few in the net.

Overall seems like a great assembly of young talent, and Gomes has already thrown the gauntlet saying they were going to play forward and attacking football the way that Brazilians should. I can't imagine a tougher baptism for these babies than a first game against Mexico in Cidade de Mexico.

13. brazil2002

brazil2002 New Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Porto Alegre, Brasil
    ]
    Good luck if you see anything at all,he already thinks of himself as the best player in Brazil,acts like one too,actually in my opinion he is avarage,holds the ball too long ,slows the game a lot.

14. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas

Robinho is certainly showing his sophomore slump form. After having so many amazing games in the playoffs of the Brasileirao last year, I've only seen him have a handful of good games for Santos - and only in Copa Libertadores.

Seems to me like he is giving the ball away about 70% of the time he has it. Really poor form right now in my opinion.

Let's see tonight if he can manage any better.

15. brazil2002

brazil2002 New Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Porto Alegre, Brasil
    Diego gets # 10

1 - Gomes (Cruzeiro)
    2 - Maicon (Cruzeiro)
    3 - Luisão (Cruzeiro)
    4 - Alex (Santos)
    5 - Adriano (Coritiba)
    6 - Paulo Almeida (Santos)
    7 - Júlio Baptista (São Paulo)
    8 - Kaká (São Paulo)
    9 - Ewerthon (Borussia Dortmund)
    10 - Diego (Santos)
    11 - Robinho (Santos)
    12 - Alexandre Negri (Ponte Preta)
    13 - Coelho (Corinthians)
    14 - André Bahia (Flamengo)
    15 - Nilmar (Internacional)
    16 - Nadson (Vitória)
    17 - Carlos Alberto (Flamengo)
    18 - Thiago Motta (Barcelona)

16. Canuck Power!

Canuck Power! New Member

Sep 5, 2002
    Canada
    Canada will kick Brazil's arse in the Gold Cup. You guys are toast.

17. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    *Mod Note*

**No trolling in this forum**

Please post in rivalries. The Brazil forum is for more serious analysis and discussion.

18. Enganche

Enganche Red Card

Apr 30, 2003
    I saw a recent story that Brasil's lineup on Sunday vs Mexico in the Gold Cup will be: Gomes; Maicon, Alex, Luisao, Adriano; Paulo Almeida, Julio Baptista, Kaka, Diego; Robinho, Ewerthon.

Looks like a pretty good U-23 team to me. But can they compete against older players and in the heat, contamination of Mexico? We'll find out on Sunday. Anybody with comments on these players?

19. MathuzaLem

MathuzaLem New Member

May 30, 2003
    SP, Brazil
    well alex, paulo almeida, diego, robinho, gomes and ewerthon can for sure compete... well kaka this year hasn't shown any soccer... julio baptista has come from a good form in são paulo fc... Luisao has already been convoked to ther main NT, although I don't know why... I haven't seen Adriano playing but all the comments that I heard, is that he is a great player...
    I liked the supposed lineup, I think this U-23 is gonna make a great Gold Cup...

20. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    didn't Nadson score a goal few days ago?

Can you tell me how he's been doing so far at the Gold Cup? He'll be joining FC Suwon soon and I'm sure there's a whole LOT of Suwon fans who would like to hear about how he's doing.

"and I believe is vice-artilheiro of the Brasileirao right now."

what does that mean?

21. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I watched Brazil against Honduras last night. Where did you find all those U-23's who are 6'3", 200 lbs with 4.2 speed?

22. Sao Taffarel

Sao Taffarel New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Did not video it did you?!!

23. moacir

moacir New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Figueira da Foz, PT
    Kids game

I saw the Mexico game, They wasted so many chances...