Brazilian defense underated?

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by uamiranda, Dec 23, 2008.

1. uamiranda

uamiranda Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well...If we do so, we'd have to elect not only Gerson, but maaaaany of them...rsrs.

And how he did...rsrsrs.

It may seem like a metaphor, but you might agree that sometimes it happens... Maybe that's not the 1990 case, I agree that the serve was not the goal. Canniggia could loose the play... But my point is, if it was not him (and his lucky pass among thousands of legs) in that match, who in that team would take the ball that way and serve Cannigia?

That's true... But I'm a little bit ceptic about it. Before I draft my all-time XI ever, I did a research on newpapers, magazines, websites, whatever, to have the oppinion of who lived football in older ages, even considering that they could be 'tendencious' to their ages also. That's why you can see a lot of players in my team that are not from my generation
    (BTW, I must correct my team...:eek: N. Santos, Garrincha and Puskas maybe in the starting XI...)

That's true...And also, I've seen other threads where some people use to choose their best WC tournaments the first they've ever seen.

:eek: No comments...

:D And how it would be called? kk-ua??

No..No way! I don't want a derby against you! rsrsrs

2. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yup.
    That's unquestionable.

(Although I think Alemão could have been a little less 'friendly' that day).

I have to agree he was an illuminated guy.

If Zico had half of that 'light'.

BTW, Canniggia would just miss that goal if he were blind.
    Since the beginning I noticed you were a criterious person.

Nevertheless I was sincerely surprised to see a 'Classic XI' so similar to mine (with you probably being at least 30 years younger than me).
    What's even understandable, although not justifiable.
    Yeah, that's a great clip (even the Afro-Brazilian musical background was well chosen).

Had you seen it before?...
    :p
    A carioca vs a baiano?...

Nah!...

It would always end up in pizza...

That is evident even in my clip: you don't know if what you hear is 'cocada boa' (Bahia) or 'coca da boa' (Rio)...

El Pibe would certainly like to give his opinion on that:

'Nóo, iu ajo ki zó tán valándo di goca-cola' :D ...

3. uamiranda

uamiranda Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Zico was also a source of shine! He would be even brighter if he could score just one more goal on his career...Thanks Serginho!

It's a wonderful clip! I've never seen it before... Looks like a compilation of "Pelé Eterno"...And the music...is fantastic!!!

C'mon...baianos and caroicas have so much in common (despite their differences...rsrsrsrs)!Maybe it would end in acarajé with a beer...:D

And as a baiano, of course I heard cocaca...rsrsrs

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It wasn't Alemao that went soft ... it was Dunga. Alemao was the first guy Maradona beat when he got the ball. Alemao got completely faked out by Maradona's change of direction. Dunga came from the back and had the chance to foul Maradona but he didn't come in strong enough.

If Alemao was Maradona's "buddy" you would think Maradona wouldn't have had such a tough time in that game.

5. uamiranda

uamiranda Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hmmm...I'm not so sure...Maybe he could do...

...this...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiVq5-u7MH0"]YouTube - Extraordinary Soccer Miss[/ame]

:p:D

Not even the best of the world escapes...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ocQT3fBW4Q"]YouTube - The worst miss of the season[/ame]

6. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    A bit too strong to say Alemão, an old companion of El Pibe, intimate of his tricks in Napoli, was 'completely eluded' by his swerve.

It might even have happened, but he knew a tackle (instead of trying to play technical football in that moment) would kill the play: it was within the last 5 minutes of the game and no risks could be taken.

That's been quite established (even recognizing Maradona's opportunism) by the critics & commentators at the time.

But he just stuck his leg shilly trying to 'cut' Maradona's move 'on the ball' (not much of his specialty, BTW).

Dunga, next, didn't tackle hard enough either, the same happened with the 3rd player (who I don't recognize).

Summing up: we had 3 great chances of killing that play, and blew it.

The rest everybody knows.:D

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They probably didn't foul him because we had 4/5 defenders back there against 2 Argentinians. If anything, there was a major failure with 4 players converging on Maradona and no-none following Caniggia on his run. If one had stayed with Caniggia, they wouldn't have scored.

After 75 minutes of keeping Maradona under check, they probably got a little relaxed.

8. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not taking the merit out of Maradona's play, that collective failure (IMO starting with Alemão) did determine Caniggia's goal, as you pointed out.

'Sloppiness' that we'll find in the already cited goals by Boninsegna's (in the 70 final) and by Rossi (the 1st or 2nd [??], on Cerezzo's blunder) in 82.

Fatal (or almost fatal) mistakes - generally being originated in the midfield - that are part of the traditional vices of Brazilian defenses.

9. BongartzUndRivera

Sep 24, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Well when u guys won in WC2002, it was Cafu's 3rd and RC's 2nd, remember?;)

A great team always needs a mixture of great motivation of youngsters and experience of the vets, especially when it comes to defense.

10. uamiranda

uamiranda Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Of course I remember, and I agree on this mixture! But in WC 2006 it didn't work. They were not at their best, but would be good choices as subs though. They didn't have the motivation of Cicinho, for example, who made a great Confederations Cup one year before, and was better than Cafu in 2006.

11. BongartzUndRivera

Sep 24, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    I was trying to point out of a Brasileiro World Cup team who didn't win maybe by the causes of lacking of experience.

For teams afterwinning a WC, I thinky it is important to get rid of the washed out ones, young or old.
    In WC2006 was that the coach tried to put up the Best 11 "on paper" like a Harlem Globtrotters in stead of putting up a "Team" to win and were out of motivation coz they won the last one.

So yes, Cafu or RC or both shouldn't been there not even on the bench.

P.S. I would have benched Gaucho.

12. uamiranda

uamiranda Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's it! ;)

Moreover, I tend to believe (maybe it's a pre-WC thouhgt) that even an 'unexperienced' brazilian team would also be competitive, once many players are used to face the 'best' players in the world during the club seasons... But that might be just a supporter's thought... :)

13. uamiranda

uamiranda Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Found this recently...
    One of them was this...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYioFv2Sthk"]YouTube - Brasil 2 X 1 Argentina (Gol de Pelé)[/ame]
    Note: with left foot...:p