Brazil

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by msilverstein47, Sep 20, 2013.

1. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Francielle and Rosana have joined Cristiane in retirement. I would not be surprised if we hear about others following suit in the coming days.

gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its so frustrating and sad that some legends of the game felt compelled to go out like this. :cry::cry:

3. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Cristiane should of made at least $100K an year at PSG. I thought it was a disgrace that the Brazilians(the 3 that are retiring included) refused to shake hands with the Matildas after their last game. I can see how demoralized though; their now 0-5-1 in their last 6 games. Their coach could use a page out of Ellis and start playing tomato cans

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think the lack of shaking hands was more from losing three in a row against the exact same team than from being in a six-game winless streak. They had five-game winless streaks in each of the previous three years, too, for example.

Either way, though, this spate of veteran retirements is certainly sad. I hope the CBF wakes up soon and realizes they're squandering some great footballing talent in their nation and are due for a big decline if they don't right the ship.

gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am quite sad for Brazil and this generation of players.

I am even more sad when I consider that the 1 in that 0-5-1 record was a draw vs Japan. o_O If Japan can just draw vs a team that everyyone else is beating, this means Nadeshiko's decline is underway also... :unsure:

6. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Oh brother....

With all due respect, Rosana hasn't been revelant in several years, since 2011 maybe. In fact, the Vadao got it right when he dropped her. Of course he cancelled that out by bringing in Raquel. :rolleyes:

Calling back in players such as Rose and Fran(l, coupled with her terrible coaching and tactics, ultimately cost Emily her job. Make no mistake: the majority of hardcore Samba Queen fans were ready to see her gone after the nations tournament or whatever y'all call it. Emily was way out of her depth and was not ready for the position. Unfortunately, that important fact will be buried by the "gender" issue.

Regarding Cris: I have no problem with her actions. I hope she makes all the money, while she can still walk. The CBF is and will always be corrupt, so not criticism on that front. She's never been my favorite player, so I'll keep it cute and wish her well.

Now, if Marta or Fabiana (the team's most important player in Rio) decide to leave the team, then it's time for the CBF to start sweating...

7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assumed from the statements of the players that the frustration was not solely about the coaching decision but that the firing of Emily brought it all to a head. From their statements, it sounds like it was more about not being supported on an ongoing basis. Plus, 24 out of 26 of the players signed a statement to CBF wanting to keep Emily. (As an observer of the team, and not really a fan, I don't have strong feelings either way.) I also am keeping in mind that these three players perhaps saw the writing on the wall, and wanted to get out on their own terms before being dropped from the 2019 roster. All that being said, its still a crappy way for players who have served a team well to go out, imo.

BTW, Marta has clearly said she has no plans to retire from international football. She wants to continue to fight CBF from the inside, and more power to her. It'll probably take voices on the inside and outside to bring about any change.

8. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You had to watch that last game though, there was way too much fussing or whining from Christiane & Marta as they were badgering the ref on just about every call. Rosana was committing a lot of what I would call 'dirty fouls' and really should of been shown the red(which she wasn't. Taisa ran from behind & shoved an Aussie down to the ground to retrieve a dead ball. And then with the hand shake refusal/ you got the feeling the CBF felt there was a complete breakdown of the team, hence the firing of the coach(Vadeo is returning again)
    It's a shame that the players lost their nerves cause they only lost both games by one goal(though they were out played) and they were still missing from their lineup Camilla, Monica & Poliana plus oddly enough the BR coach didn't play Debra(she was their best player in the first friendly) vs Matlidas playing with a full deck(though why on earth did he put the teen, Charisma Carpenter, to defend Marta?)

btw.........the Aussie kept saying throughout the broadcast that if they win both games, their rankings will go way up. Wonder how though? Since they only beat a team that's lower then them(their #6/Brazil is #9)

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeeeaaaaah that's probably an announcer thinking about reputation and not knowing what the rankings currently are and/or not knowing how the math works. Not only was Australia 64pts ahead of Brazil, but they played in Australia, meaning the expected results are calculated with the 100pt home field bonus... They do get a bit of a bonus from it being a friendly match between top-ten teams, but their rating will go up maybe ten points from these two matches. So they might catch Japan (who were 8pts ahead) but no way they catch the Netherlands.

blissett repped this.
  10. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Tough run for Brazil lately. First, they lost Camilla to ACL; she was a revelation in NWSL this year. Then, the firing of Emily Lima led to retirements of key veterans. Rosana not so much, but I'd argue Cristiane and Francielle are both big losses. Cris is th

During the U.S. college playoffs, I had the pleasure of watching Stanford's freshman Catarina Macario. Born in Brazil, lived in Brasilia until age 12, then moved to the U.S. because her home nation did not offer enough soccer opportunities for girls. Now she in on record stating she wants to play for the USWNT, not Brazil - she feels the U.S. is her home now. She is a tremendous talent and complete player, scoring 17 goals and 13 assists in her first college season. Brazil, due to its incompetence and lack of support for the women's game, has let another one slip away.

gricio61, blissett and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  11. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    #461 FawcettFan14, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    Brazil roster for CONMEBOL qualifying

G: Bárbara, Aline, Letícia
    D: Rilany, Poliana, Tamires, Monica, Rafaelle, Erika, Daiane
    M: Andressinha, Thaisa, Andressa Alves, Formiga, Aline Milene
    F: Marta, Cristiane, Beatriz, Debinha, Thaís, Raquel, Millene Karine

https://selecao.cbf.com.br/noticias...lecao-feminina-para-copa-america#.Wr5o2xMbPox

A couple things:
    • Cristiane is included. She famously retired in protest when Lima was fired. Apparently Vadao personally asked her to return, and she was encouraged by the CBF putting at least a few women in leadership positions.
    • Formiga, age 40, is back?? She had that emotional farewell game in late 2016. Could she possibly play in a record 7th World Cup next year? Seems impossible, but she still plays for PSG, a top club. Or is this just a desperation call-up because others are not available?
    • When I saw Daiane listed, my first thought was she who scored the own goal and who kept Wambach onside in the 2011 quarterfinal. But then I checked and it's actually Diane Limeira Santos Silva, a much younger player.

Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thanks, these are exactly the two subjects I was wondering about when I read Brazil's line-up: I was under the impression that Cristiane had retired from NT for good, so I was surprised to see her in the roster; and about Formiga, sorry for the caps, but my reaction was REALLY? o_O In fact, for whoever saw her flawlessly play 2017 Women's Champions' Legue final with PSG, this should be barely a surprise, but the notion that she could play a 7th world cup at 41 is really unbelievable!!! :eek:

jagum and FawcettFan14 repped this.
  13. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Cristiane published a lengthy Twitter post, explaining her decision to return. This link below features a translation to English.

http://www.womenssoccerunited.com/cristiane-is-back-brazil/

The USWNT tends to keep aging veterans for too long, so usually I dislike this. But it would be a joy to see Formiga compete for a 7th time.

blissett repped this.
  14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Apparently was on Instagram and not on Twitter. ;) Anyway very interesting reading, and I can relate with Cristiane and her worries.

I guess it's quite interesting that coaches of teams that showed regression in the last pair of years chose to recur to the old World Cup veterans, maybe feeling the new generations can't really make the cut: similar to what Japan did by calling back Kawasumi. Will it pay? We're going to see.

FawcettFan14 repped this.
  15. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Japan has just a handful of older players left. On their Asian Cup roster, only 4 players are 30 or older: Kawasumi, Sameshima, Sakaguchi, and Ariyoshi. Interestingly, no recall for Nagasato (nee Ogimi). Most of the roster is 25 and younger. They have certainly changed over generations more than Brazil.

blissett and Lechus7 repped this.
  16. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Vadao created good team for Rio Olympics, imho the best Brazil had in years. Only problem it consisted of only 11 to 13 good players and had almost 0 depth on the bench. When Fabiana and Christiane got injuried Poliana and Debinha both of whom were called in their place not only weren't at the same level as previous two but playing now as starters they further depleted any option as subs for tired players. Rested Brazil at full strength handled Swedish team with ease in first match. In semi's patched Canarinhas line-up was running on empty tanks...
    Hope remians that CBF learned their lesson and Vadao's coaching team will be given this time more funds for building a much bigger player base.

I'm not sure...she is getting slow and thus fouls a lot...

blissett repped this.
  17. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Even as a USA fan, I was rooting for Brazil in those later rounds. In front of their home country, and for the great things Marta/Formiga have done for women's soccer. I vividly remember Marta trying to carry the team on her back, working so hard, could barely run at the end of those overtime games. You could tell it meant the world to her. They just could not score.

Debinha was one of the best players of NWSL opening weekend. If they can add Fabiana to this roster, and the excellent Camila who is rehabbing from ACL, and the pacy Ludmila, in addition to Beatriz, it's a good supporting cast for vets Marta and Cristiane.

lil_one, Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Considering that Brazil has a giant domestic league whose best teams can easily compete with the likes of Australian, Japanese, and English clubs, I would certainly hope they'd a good pipeline of young talent, and lots of it... While it certainly would be cool to see Formiga in a 7th WWC, and the likes of Cristiane, Barbara, Thaisa, Monica, and Marta are still great players, I find it hard to believe that there isn't a glut of younger players challenging for those spots.

Lechus7 repped this.
  19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Although it was not announced, she probably retired from NT. But anyway, she couldn't have been called at this round because she's currently out injured.

20. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    During last WWC U20 only Yasmim and perhaps Geyse showed some future potential while Gabi Nunes looked almost ready for senior NT (she did get a call short after). Not much convincing for the future... :unsure:

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  21. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    I wouldn't put me money on that...yet.;)

blissett repped this.
  22. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    My impression was the Brazil domestic league is not well-developed or funded. Hence why the NT players go abroad for club. Is this wrong?

23. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Oh yes, I forgot Gabi Nunes. Yet another victim of the ACL. Suffered in August 2017 so could return by this summer.

24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Definitely not wrong, but just considering is size, (and its competitiveness - 8 different teams have reached the final in just the last 5 years,) you would think that the league should still be producing a fair amount of talent, even if it's in the form of exports that need a bit more developing rather than directly feeding players in to the NT.

Lechus7 repped this.
  25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Which is what baffles me... There are so many players in a league that regularly dominates the continent no matter which team(s) qualify to the continental championship, I just don't get why the NT always seems to thin.

Lechus7 repped this.