Brazil vs. United States Pre-Post Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Alex_1, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Here is a thread to start up and discuss Brazil vs. the US match. I have will check sporadically. Please do not start any other threads with the result.

2. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  3. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Result- Brazil 1 vs USA 0

Thanks to Hamatachi, I saw the match.

Adriano really just went through the defense there - nothing special about the goal - it was a textbook finish .

Will review in detail later.

4. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I want Scolari back!

Hey Alex_1, I was thinking about to start a thread just to bash Parreira, but I would have to post the results. Can I?

Yeah, we won, but don't be eluded with the result. Brazil played a better but not great first half, and the 2nd half was another piss poor display of catenaccio. If the US had more skilled players, who knew how to finnish better, they could have reverted the situation. Brazil practically sat down and watched the americans passing and holding the ball during the 2nd half. What is Parreira thinking?! Brazil should have tried to increase the advantage if we didn't want to chase a victory against Turkey on monday. Now it's Turkey who has the advantage of tying.

As a whole, I think it showed how will be Parreira's philosophy for the seleção. We're going to be like Italy. I don't like this, and be sure that the local press won't forgive Parreira for this. And you know what? I hope Brazil flops in this Confederations Cup, because I sincerely believe that we will sweat and struggle once again in the upcoming WCQs if we continue like this.

5. Dinamite22

Dinamite22 New Member

Jun 21, 2003
    I'm hating this philosophy too!C'mon,Brazil has very skilled players and if they are set to play offensive,they will!It's a shame parreira wants us to play like the ridiculous italian style and that we have a hard time defeating an average team,with unskilled players,like USA. Brazil has a lot to improve.

6. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Parreira is falling victim to the same problem he had in 93/94

He is completely unable to adjust his team after they step onto the field. He panics, he doesn't make substitutions, he sits their shitting his pants hoping things will work out rather than doing something! ANYTHING!!!

Back then he won because an inspired Dunga and Romario were able to keep things going. This time around he may win if he has a full squad playing well. But frankly if you're going to coach Brazil's national team you can't sit and watch and not change things around because other coaches will have Brazil figured out. And if Brazil has no alternative gameplan we'll always lose (or at least come close to losing) to better coached teams like Cameroon and the USA were.

Pathetic game today outside of some inspired Alex combinations in the first half. If it weren't for that lucky goal (which Adriano needed a rebound to finish) we would have tied... or maybe even lost.

Anyways, I'm not sure I'm gonna bother watching the third game since I'm here in Rio spending vacation with my friends and family and these games are just so wretchedly frustrating.

7. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Re: I want Scolari back!

Be my guest if you want to start a "Parreira sucks" thread. I do not mind. But just put an [R] in the subject line.

To be honest, Brazil did look better than the US. There were some things, intricacies about their touch and overall ball skill that the US couldnt' match. And, to be quite frankly, I think Brazil won because the US did not really think that the US could win. I.E., the US were their own worst nightmare.

Oh well. Don't get too too frustrated. Remember - Brazil may play them again in the Gold Cup but I think Parreira is bringing an U-21 team to this tournament. Also remember that this is really a good show for some of the prospects of the CBF. While I don't like some of Parreira's tactics I hope that this will not be a preview of how he will go about his tenure as manager - otherwise his tenure will be short and with devastating results.

Disappointing passion in the match, but it very well could have ended up a draw. I don't think the US ever really threatened.

8. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Re: Re: I want Scolari back!

Not that much of a deal to look better than the US team, don't you think? ;)

And for your information Parreira will not be coaching the U-23 teams, I guess. I think it's Ricardo Gomes who's in charge of the olympic preparation.

9. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Re: Re: Re: I want Scolari back!

OK, but you boasted a prediction of 5-0 Brazil and you stuck by it, so I wouldn't be sounding too proud myself.

10. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Re: Re: Re: Re: I want Scolari back!

That's why I feel worried. We could have beaten the US with a 5-0 score. But looks like Parreira won't simply let the hounds out.

11. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I want Scolari back!

We could have beaten Brazil 1-0, but that didn't happen either.

12. Dinamite22

Dinamite22 New Member

Jun 21, 2003
    USA barely played on the 1st half.Brazil could have won 5x0 easily.But with parreira attitude...it became difficult.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  14. trmbrasil

trmbrasil Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parerria can't go out and put the ball in the goal, and unless the players step up their effort these results will continue. Adriano had many opportunities, outside of an easy goal, and could not take advantage. Ricardinho can't finish with strength. Ronaldinho was given plenty of freedom in this stifling system of Parerria's, but his fine moves and good service was rarely rewarded. Brasil didn't play well enough to even joke about "could have" won 5-0, regardless of how poorly the US showed. Besides, Howard is a high quality keeper.