Brazil vs Nigeria friendly [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by MIGkiller, May 12, 2003.

1. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Wow!

37' Brazil 2 x 0 Nigeria

Luís Fabiano scored. Good start for the rookies.

2. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    HT

Brazil started as usual in the recent friendlies: playing neglecting, a lot of wrong passes, specially by Ronaldinho, and didn't finnish anything before 30'. Then they started to take the game seriously. Nice first half for Beletti and Ronaldinho.

Overall it's a fun game to watch.

3. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    80' Brazil 3 x 0 Nigeria

Adriano (Parma), who was sub in after the HT, is the scorer.

4. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I wish I could see the match. Looks like FT is 3-0.

This takes the pressure off of Sr. Parreira for a little while. Was it that they were finishing well as the match progressed - how did Ronaldinho look linking up with the forwards? Sucks that I cannot see the match. And how is the back-line. Is it that the selecao is playing so well or that Nigeria is playing poorly? Details man details!

5. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Alex, do you have FSW? I fully expect them to show highlights of this game tonight, as well as the many European qualifiers.

FT 3x0

6. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The match has just finished: Brazil 3 x 0 Nigeria.

Finaly a good showing by the seleção under Parreira!

The 2nd half was even better.

Ok, the nigerians played poorly, not playing with their hearts (that's not one of their attributes anyway), but Okocha, and in a less extent Kanu, were decent. They didn't menace Dida that much.

Our defenders also didn't fuck around this time.

But the entire team wored good. The passing also worked during the 2nd half. Nice exhibitions by Beletti, Kleberson, Emerson and Ronaldinho, who missed a wonder goal after a great play, saved over the line by the nigerian defender.

Adriano was also a nice sub-in. He almost scored another goal after the 3-0.

Nice showing by the rookies also.

Ronaldinho gets my vote for man of the match.

7. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I wish - I don't even have the cable. But hopefully I will have something in the fall. I miss it now! I tried to follow on O Globo but the tracker was too slow to load up. Only one I can follow is the England vs. Slovakia match.

Thanks for the recap of the match Migkiller. I guess whether or not Nigeria was in it or not is beside the point. In the last Confed. Cup, Brazil was horrible under Emerson Leao and coming into the tournament after some low notes in qualifying. But hopefully this time around things will be different. A lot of those guys have to have good confidence now after the touches and solid match.

8. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Anyone know if there are any highlights available for this game on the internet? I wish i could have seen it.

9. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Match report on BBC site:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/2983182.stm

10. Martin Cutler

Martin Cutler New Member

Sep 30, 2002
    San Diego
    I saw the match too and I agree Brazil played pretty well but that Nigeria was disappointing. Nigeria moved the ball around well in the first half but didn't create any dangerous chances mainly due to Brazil's solid defense. Once Brazil scored though it took the air out of Nigeria and they rarely threatened after that. In the second half Brazil was able to completely control the tempo of the game as Nigeria looked to have given up.

I was most impresed with how solid Brazil's defense looked, particularly Lucio. Juan also played pretty well and the 2 central defenders ate up everything Nigeria could send their way. Dida had little to do but when needed to come off his line he did well and stopped a one on one opportunity. Belletti overlapped well and defended well also. He looked a much better player yesterday than he has done in the past. Kleber defended adequately but overlapped much less than Belletti. But it was Kleber's run down the left and shot/cross which the Nigerian keeper couldn't hold which led to Adriano's goal late in the match (Brazil's 3rd on the day). Gilberto came in late for Kleber and deserevs a longer look which he'll get in the Confederations Cup.

In midfield Emerson and Kleberson did their usual work. I thought Kleberson in particular played a good game and the two of them kept things easier for the central defenders behind them. Ricardinho did make some nice passes setting up the moves which led to the 1st and 3rd goals. He's not a spectacular playmaker and isn't going to beat defenders with fancy moves but he looks to be a solid passer of the ball. Ronaldinho was for me Brazil's best player. He controlled the tempo of the game very well, made nice passes and looked dangerous going forward. An all around solid performance. I think he enjoys the greater freedom he has without Ronaldo & Rivaldo on the field.

Gil scored a nice goal which was beautifully set up by Ricardinho. Gil is quick and a good dribbler but I don't see him being a regular member of Brazil's national team when other players are available. But he'll get some more chances to show what he can do in the next few weeks. This was the first time I'd ever seen Luis Fabiano play and he looks like a center forward who is worth looking at more. He got on the end of a cross from Belletti for the 2nd goal and is a strong player with decent mobility. Like Gil he'll be able to use the Confederations Cup to demonstrate to Parreira that he belongs. Adriano of Parma didn't have enough tiem to show too much but scored an opportunist's goal at the end. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him.

Overall this was a good match for Brazil before the Confed Cup. Nigeria is a pretty good team which gave Brazil a nice warmup. Brazil's greater guile and experience showed in this match and with Ronaldinho and either Ricardinho or Alex running things in midfield they'll be an entertaining team to watch in the Confederations Cup.

11. Galgowski

Galgowski New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    River Falls, Wiscons
    Anyone who saw this match tape it?