Brazil vs Nigeria friendly [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by MIGkiller, May 12, 2003.

1. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Brazil vs Nigeria friendly?

I've heard something about a Brazil x Nigeria friendly to be played just before the Confederations Cup in June? Does anyone have more accurate information on that?

2. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    Re: Brazil vs Nigeria friendly?

Hope it happens.

Guaranteed not to finish 0 - 0. Ronaldinho and Okocha, the way they are playing now, could be a treat.

3. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    How about scheduling a friendly in Brazil? Now there's an idea...

4. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I read in the O Globo newspaper today that in 6/11 Parreira is going to release the roster for the Nigeria friendly and the Confederations Cup. So we can say the game is confirmed.

5. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Parreira has released the roster of brazilian players who play overseas, to the next Confederations Cup and the friendly against Nigeria on 6/11, in Abuja:

Goleiro: Dida (Milan/ITA);
    Laterais: Belletti (Villareal/ESP) e Fábio Aurélio (Valência/ESP)
    Zagueiros: Juan, Lúcio (Bayer Leverkusen/ALE) e Roque Júnior (Milan/ITA)
    Meias: Eduardo Costa (Bordeaux/FRA), Emerson (Roma/ITA) e Zé Roberto (Bayern de Munique/ALE)
    Atacantes: Ronaldinho Gaúcho (Paris Saint-Germain/FRA) e Adriano (Parma/ITA)

The list of players who play in the national clubs will be released in one week.

6. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I don't know. I'm undecided about this roster. He left out some players. Most glaring to me is Juninho Pernambuca - is he injured? Ronaldo, okay, I can see some reasons not bringing Ronaldo - I like the inclusion of Adriano. I guess Riotom was right in Ze Roberto too.

I guess Parreira is going to look mostly at domestic players (looks like maybe 11 slots - I sure hope note just 7!) in these matches and gear up for qualifying instead, and try to have a solid roster for that. But he had better have an eye for this b'cause the pressure will be high for goals and success since the CBF has met next to none since the World Cup.

7. ROM2

ROM2 New Member

Apr 27, 2000
    I suppose the question is which of the young bloods will get the nod, a part from the obvious suspects I have been really impressed by Tinga. Whoever he chooses this must be about preparing for 2006.

8. ISM

ISM New Member

Nov 2, 2000
    nigeria-Brazil friendly

FYI, For all Brazil fans - This game will be available live on June 11th - 1:30 PM ET on DirecTV PPV.

any additional TV Coverage updates will be posted at www.ISMsports.com

9. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Parreira has called this Tuesday (6/3) the players of the domestic league to complete the roster for the Nigeria friendly next 6/11 and the Confederations Cup:

Goleiros: Fábio (Vasco) e Júlio César (Flamengo) Zagueiros: Edu Dracena (Cruzeiro), Fábio Luciano (Corinthians)
    Laterais: Maurinho (Cruzeiro) e Kléber (Corinthians) Apoiadores: Adriano e Kléberson (Atlético-PR), Alex (Cruzeiro), Dudu Cearense (Vitória), Ricardinho (São Paulo)
    Atacantes: Gil (Corinthians), Ilan (Atlético-PR) e Luís Fabiano (São Paulo)

Roque Júnior (Milan/ITA) and Zé Roberto (Bayern de Munique/ALE) were sacked from the previous roster due to injuries and medical treatments.

10. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Yup... fresh off the press:

http://esportenaglobo.globo.com/Eng/article/0,19125,SER547978-1290,00.html

Interesting. He was not kidding when he said he did not plan to bring the "kids". Clearly Parreira is using this as a tune-up for the big time CONMEBOL qualifying in the fall with some players. Although I am disappointed to not see some of the faces of the famed offensive future of the CBF, I am sort of glad to see some of the domestic talent - like Gil, Ricardinho, Alex and Kleber.

11. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas
    Where is Carlos Alberto?? I assumed for sure he would make the squad after such recent praise...

12. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Gilberto (Grêmio) is replacing Fábio Aurélio (Valência/ESP), due to medical problems.

13. ROM2

ROM2 New Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Aw...I was looking forward to seeing the youngbloods, but I suppose it's best to pick the fruits when ripe!

14. willowtv

willowtv BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 10, 2003
    Live Brazil vs Nigeria Soccer Match on June 11th

I wanted to let you know that Willow TV
    ( www.willow.tv ) is
    streaming live Brazil vs Nigeria match on the internet on Jun 11th 2003.

Willow TV is a portal for the broadcast of premium sporting events to niche
    markets in North America. The sporting events are streamed at broadband
    bitrates to pay-per-view subscribers. Subscribers must have a broadband
    internet connection to view the video. The sporting events we currently
    cover are soccer and cricket, and we have plans to add additional sports in
    the near future.

15. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    CBF again...

[​IMG]

Parreira is going to play some of the "old heads" of this selection in the Nigeria Friendly. ;)

ABUJA, NIGÉRIA - O treinador da seleção brasileira, Carlos Alberto Parreira, foi obrigado a convocar vários novatos para o amistoso contra a Nigéria e para a disputa da Copa das Confederações. Mas para a partida desta quarta-feira em Abuja contra a seleção africana, Parreira optou por um time mais experiente, com apenas dois jogadores que nunca atuaram com a camisa da seleção.

Gil e Luís Fabiano, destaques dos rivais Corinthians e São Paulo, formarão o ataque titular e jogarão pela primeira vez na seleção. Os demais jogadores têm experiência na equipe, incluindo seis atletas que participaram da campanha vitoriosa na Copa do Mundo (Dida, Belletti, Lúcio, Kléberson, Ricardinho e Ronaldinho Gaúcho).

http://oglobo.globo.com/oglobo/plantao/108412976.htm

Accordingly, the line-up for tomorrow may look like this:

Dida
    Belletti, Juan, Lúcio,Kléber;

Emerson, Kléberson, Ricardinho, Ronaldinho
    Gaucho

Gil and Luís Fabiano.

Have Gil and Fabiano played together up front before? This is a risk, but of course it is a friendly. Parreira doesn't want the bad vibe of being the first CBF Tecnico to lose in Africa, so I think that's why he went with some of the stalwarts. That and, well, my main concern below....

.....Typical CBF hijinks. They only had 45 minutes to prepare for this before taking off to Nigeria!!!! WTF? Why the hell can't they be more organized!!!!!!!!!! It's the same old story.

16. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Why the fuck is he not playing Adriano in the foward?! This duo of rookies in the front scares me.

17. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas
    I'd certainly consider Adriano a rookie as well. But that guy is also a beast to contain...power, power, power. I hope he gets 20+ minutes...

18. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Breaking news: Brazil x Nigeria on DISH

I just received an email from a Globo International TV employee letting me know that Globo Ch. 596 on DISH WILL transmit Brazil x Nigeria LIVE today afterall. Gametime 1:45EST.

Enjoy.

19. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hey, I've seen footage of the Abuja National Stadium. Not bad at all for a country that wishes to host an WC.

BTW, the game starts in one hour. :)

20. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Scratch that...CBF just overrided Globo and will not allow transmission. ONLY IN BRAZIL DO THINGS LIKE THIS HAPPEN!!!!!!

21. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Okocha is playing. I thought he had retired.

Ok, game starting...

22. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    33' Brazil 1 x 0 Nigeria