Brazil vs Mexico {r}

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by ronaldina09, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    A Little Article

Aos poucos, a seleção pentacampeã vai se transformando. Para o amistoso de hoje, às 22h (de Brasília), contra o México, no Estádio Jalisco, o time não terá seis titulares da Copa do Mundo de 2002: Marcos, Lúcio, Roque Júnior, Cafu, Roberto Carlos e Rivaldo. A Família Scolari, como o grupo passou a ser tratado por causa da união em torno do técnico Felipão, já não existe mais. E as feições do novo comandante, Carlos Alberto Parreira, começam a aparecer. Sereno, elegante, mas sem esconder o incômodo que sente quando perguntado sobre o fato de ainda não ter vencido nos dois jogos que comandou o time (o empate sem gols com a China e a derrota para Portugal por 2 a 1):

http://oglobo.globo.com/Esportes/107637661.htm

2. trmbrasil

trmbrasil Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CAP's lineup

Parreira definiu a equipe brasileira com:

Dida, Belletti, Edmilson, Anderson Polga, Júnior, Gilberto Silva, Kléberson, Zé Roberto, Ronaldinho, Amoroso e Ronaldo.

3. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I like that Amoroso will be starting. Some of the best Ronaldo played was when he was lined up alongside Amoroso - but this was before the numerous injuries and burn-out.

I guess what this means is to look carefully - I think Ronaldo and Gaucho will be off after 45. VERY good chance that the miudos will get a chance to show a little.

Interesting articles on the buildup:

http://www.cbfnews.bol.com.br/selecoes/ult1046u141.jhtm

5. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Fair enough, I think his contribution compesates his absence in some plays on defense.

6. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Ronaldinho was here

[​IMG]

7. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Does anyone have a link to a live webcam feed of this game?

8. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thanks Carlos Alberto for a crappy game. Everyone wanted to see Diego and Robinho. He brings in Juninho and Emerson when the situation calls for some better attacking moves. BS. Oh well. I thought Ronaldinho had some great moves. Terrible play by Ronaldo though. We saw Diego play for about 5 minutes. Terrible terrible terrible draw. I hate Perreira.

9. futbolrey

futbolrey New Member

Dec 20, 2002
    Burke, Va
    man mexico deserve a refund 1 million dollars for playing a pathetic brazilian team. It seems as Brazil only wants to play when there is something at stake...bad passes, bad control, almost everthing was bad...this game almost put me to sleep.

Hopefully the U.S. men saw the game...perhaps they could learn something from the mexican team.

10. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Actually.. Mexico (FMF) did not cough up the bill. Some foreign company coughed up the bill.

I wanted to see Robinho

11. brazil2002

brazil2002 New Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Porto Alegre, Brasil
    Horrible game

12. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas
    Diego had a nice pass....

Ronaldinho dribbled one or two people...

Dida played well...

Wow. Stunning. I haven't seen a performance that bad since early 2000 when WL couldn't get his team to do anything against some poor competition. How do they have such a lack of effort? Passion? The back line looked horrible. Belleti proved once AGAIN he shouldn't be allowed past midfield. Kleberson looked half the player he did a year ago. There was NO supporting runs. Ronaldo...well, he has a different game than he did a few years back, so he really relies on service now and had virtually none. He shanked his only chances to have a decent game. Ze Roberto looked ridiculous out there. It's why I gave up no him on this team until I saw him play for Leverkusen last year.

I just can't understand it. When the subs came in, looked like they consciously tried to push up for a goal for about 5 minutes. Then nothnig until Diego came in.

Athirson isn't ready for this level. Would like to see him get some more chances, but that's just because I'm biased and hopeful.

To be honest, Diego looked great. Made good decisions, wasn't intimidated or nervous at all, and had a trademark excellent touch pass inside the box. Start him next time. I'm afraid to call anyone else though for fear of apathy.

I even invited a non-soccer fan over to show him an entertaining game and...ugh...embarassing.

Bring back the attacking flair of Scolari! (Doesn't that sound crazy...)

13. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas

It means nothing after the game has been played, but I would say that I've never been a fan of Amoroso on the Selecao. I admit he's played fantastically in Europe, but I've been dulled by his play in yellow. He deserves a chance again, I admit - but that was a different Ronaldo in the past, and to be honest, the only times I saw him play with Amoroso - Copa America 99 - I didn't think they complemented each other at all. Obviously he's not going to be Romario, but Rivaldo and Ronaldinho have always had a better raltionship at building dangerous opportunities.
    Just my opinion....

14. Aguilas Del America

Oct 28, 2002
    Nido de Coapa
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Bad game for Brazil
    other than Ronaldinho the rest of the team were just spectators
    Diegos first touch was incredible
    Dida also had a good game
    i woulda loved to see Robinho in the game

15. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    report:
    http://www.soccerage.com/en/13/m8704.html

very disappointing from Brazil's perspective.
    scandalous that Robson Souza did not get a run out. He couldn't have done any worse the Ronaldo, that's for sure!

16. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    someone explain to me how in the hell THAT much "confetti" got on the field? I'd expect to see some small confetti near the endlines or the sidelines, but that was ridiculous! Right smack in the attacking thirds of both sides of the field, and to make matters worse, it wasn't like small little pieces, the looked like the grabbed all the schoolchildren of Guadalajara and asked them to empty their binders of notebook paper right in the middle of the field.

It did, several times interupt the play, in particular the instance where Ronaldo (who was junk all nite) was free in on goal and the ball rolled over a pile of paper which made the ball jump up 3 or 4 inches right as he was about to contact it and sent it over the bar from just a few yards out...

very wierd...

Even I, as a El Tri hater, was really looking forward to this match and seeing a good attacking matchup...what I got instead was a uninterested, crap Brazil side (Ze freaking Roberto??!) vs a Mexico side intent on setting the world record for missed sitters (What...Borgetti missed 73 open headers?)

Uggh..

17. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas

I share your frustration. However, the main reason I'm frustrated is because of how much talent Brasil had out there. There was a LOT of talk of Ze Roberto deserving a spot at the Cup last year. I've always been a fan of his - when he's played for his club team. He's got quite a lot of talent - he just didn't use any of it tonight, that's for damn sure. I just didn't see many players making an effort or helping each other out.

18. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Why play Ronaldo for 90 minutes??? And leave Robinho and Adriano on the bench?

The only motivated guys out there were Ronaldinho (well, every now and then) and Diego. And boy, if you think Zidane and Ronaldinho have ball control... damn, the few touches he had out there show it's unlikely anyone will ever steal a ball from him.

I so wanted to see Diego and Ronaldinho with Robinho and Ronaldo/Adriano up front... what's the point of being so stubborn in a friendly? Parreira never had balls, that's for sure.

19. ag944

ag944 New Member

Jan 27, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil v. Mex (R)

Looks like Ronaldo shot the wad versus Man U. last week. Brazil played like they were all looking at their watches wondering when they could hit the tequila bar. The sad thing is that they were able to slouch their way through to a tie.

Mexico really took it to them in the opening 30 or so, and if they'd been luckier, they'd have won, but yes, they screwed up a number of easy chances.

Who was the Mexican kid in the red shoes? He scared the Hell out of the Brazilian defense.

---Mark

20. Aguilas Del America

Oct 28, 2002
    Nido de Coapa
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Re: Brazil v. Mex (R)

thats 19 year old Alberto Medina

21. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ronaldo looks to be 15-20 pounds overweight. He never played much defense and waited to scorch teams with his runs but now he justs stands around and shoots moon balls. If a ball was 3 feet away it might as well have been in Brasil. So sad.

22. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    How can CAP be so boneheaded. Why was it so hard to play some albeit young but motivated attacking talent. Damn. What is wrong with this coach. Why play established stars in friendlies anyway, they don't care. Only Ronaldinho and Dida showed up.

23. PsyKoh

PsyKoh New Member

Apr 26, 2003
    Money talks.... the people banking the match DEMANDED all the stars in the game. Add that to the stubborness of a certain brazilian coach and you get what you got today.

24. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Brazil v. Mex (R)

[​IMG]

I am one of the few that liked this match despite the fact that it lacked more attack and it ended in a 0-0 draw. Observing the tactical movements was quite interesting. It is obvious that the main concern for Brazil is working with the defence to avoid problems during WCQ..

Brazil's seemed to play Mexicos game and waited for counters which usually involed quick passes to Ronaldo or Ronaldinho which were shutdown by the Mexican defence for the most part, except in the final minutes after Marquez had been subbed out, Brazil managed at least three shots.

The abscence of Roberto Carlos and Cafu seemed to really affect the Selecao, Belletti did a decent jon and Athirson was regular. My guess is that this is what Parreira is looking for. And just like everyone i was waiting for Diego and Robinho to hit the pitch, Amoroso didnt impress me but Medina (Pic) surely did..

25. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Small Parreira apologist

Well, first thing - to be fair, Rivaldo, Roberto Carlos, Cafu were not there when they were expected to be there - axed due to injury. Most likely Perreira's original tactics had them involved - much the same way as Scolari's plans of the summer. But they were axed, and he had to improvise.

The result? A 0-0 draw. That would be one point if something were at stake against a good selection in Mexico.

The problem? There was nothing at stake (except maybe people's perception of Parreira if he went winless in his first three - which he now has). Because of this, I think he should have certainly played different guys, and experimented. C'mon, it's a friendly!!!! Throw in the kids! See what they can do. I certainly wouldn't have kept Ronaldo on after 45, and would have put in Adriano much sooner.

I don't know what it is with CBF players that come to the team from the Bundisliga, but sometimes it doesn't look like they really fit with the Brazilian system depending on position. Amoroso, Ze Roberto... not good matches. But I'm optimistic that Amoroso could do much better. Remember - he and Ronaldo played well in Copa America 1999.... but also, that was before Ronaldo's injuries. Their styles of play are different now and may not be the best to be matched up.

Overall Assessment: Fair friendly. It would have been nice to see the kids, but maybe next time. Besides, they were really there by default when the "big guns" pulled out. Look for more creativity to be injected into the midfield in the next friendly.

***Look for Parreira to get the beat-down by the press until the next match, and then fired if they don't win it. His side has only managed one goal since taking over. Despite the friendlies, that's not acceptable with the amount of talent they have - and no disrespect to China but they are not the best defenders in the world.