Brazil 2014: Inter-Confederation Qualifying Playoffs [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Nov 2, 2013.

1. pololo

pololo Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Sweden/Stockholm
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Jordan played decent this time specially on defense not letting Uruguay to score, strong of them too tie in the Centenario. If only they played like this in the first game..

2. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Jordan was very unfortunate in the first leg. Sometimes you get a score in soccer that merely reinforces stereotypes and expectations that are themselves ill founded. There is no way Uruguay deserved beating Jordan 5:0 in Amman. They didn't do anything in that match and didn't even have that many scoring chances!
    I can remember a couple of sequences from Jordan attacking Uruguay in that match, but despite Uruguay scoring 5 goals, I can hardly remember Uruguay attacking Jordan!

Anyway, if Jordan had lived up to its traditional mode, it would have perhaps defeated or drawn Uruguay in Amman, but then lost 5:0 or so in Uruguay. As it turns out, they got thrashed at home, making them play better away.

zahzah repped this.
  3. rick100

rick100 Member+

Jun 4, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    come on , uruguay had no pressure going into this game , they knew they were already in the world cup. At the end they try a bit to score a goal and they completely dominated jordan.

If anyone knows a bit about uruguay is that they play their best under pressure. Why do you think uruguay is in a playoff spot to begin with. When uruguay dont play under pressure they are a beatable team , conmebol qualifiers are the best example of it , they were almost eliminated and not many people thought they can make the fith spot however they had to play against peru , venezuela away and against colombia at home , they managed to win all 3 games , they even beat argentina in their last game when its a do or die , that is when uruguay can beat anyone in the world. This is a team that reach the semifinal of last world cup and a team that won copa america

4. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Do these people even watch the games? Sometimes I wonder... :rolleyes:
    This was obviously taken as a practice game. Heck I bet the players were uncorking the champagne at halftime.

5. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Go celebrate and be happy that you won 5:0 in Amman. Uruguay are obviously better than Jordan, but that 5:0 was not like any 5:0 I have ever seen! It was probably the most boring and uneventful match and for a game with 5 goals; I am still trying to figure out if Uruguay was really in Jordan's box 5 times all game to have scored 5 goals? Talk about taking your chances! Not to mention, Jordan was very unfortunate to be without their first choice keeper in that first leg, as his replacement was obviously subpar.

6. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    put Uruguay under pressure and they will win 5-0 against Jordan everytime. That is good old Uruguay for you. And the reason I hope they dont reach the final against Brazil. One Maracanazzo is enough. Hmmm... maybe if the brazilian crowd massively supports Uruguay, they will give the game away!

7. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I would correct the statement to: "This is a team the deserved to reach the quarterfinal of the last world cup and team that won copa america"

BTW Uruguay were under no pressure to win the Jordan game. They would have settled for a draw. Jordan practically gifted them the win. Uruguay wasn't even pushing. Lets not exagerrated either way. Uruguay deservedly won the tie, but that's about it.

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Halftime? That's an understatement. I'm sure they were partying all week. Anyone who thinks this match would've finished 0-0 if everything was on the line is a dreamer...

What do you mean "that's it"? That's everything. There is nothing more that can be accomplished from these 2 legs.

Gonchi repped this.
  9. mwjppgr

mwjppgr Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
  10. mwjppgr

mwjppgr Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
  11. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Uruguay took care not to get any Red cards and injuries in the 2nd leg. Remember what happened in the 2010 qualifiers? Cristian "Cebolla" Rodriquez got that red card and missed the World Cup due to a 2 game ban. Who knows what would have happened if he went. He was ridiculously good at Porto.

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    umm... the defending champion's spot came out of their confederation's total allocation. For e.g. when Brazil won the WC in 1994, CONMEBOL still only had 5 teams in 1998.

So UEFA did lose 1.5 spots. They had 14.5 spots in the 2002 WC, with France automatically reserved 1 of those spots.

13. Gonchi

Gonchi Member

Apr 23, 2009
    If football was about what teams deserve, Ghana would have been flying back home after the first round of the last world cup.

And seriously now, after 4 years you really should consult a few doctors, I'm certain they can prescribe something for that chronic butthurt.

guri, BocaFan and rick100 repped this.
  14. pololo

pololo Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Sweden/Stockholm
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I saw the game, i saw the uruguayans desperatly attacking and trying too score in front of an fullpacked Centenario. Many of the uruguayan players where irritating for not getting open chances, which the jordanians didn't let.

Just giving credit to the Jordan team and of course at the end and in general Uruguay is the better team and deserves the final spot miles away.

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  15. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    [​IMG]

Fact is Ghana didn't cheat or benefit from any dubious referee decisions to get to where they were (the 1/4 final). If anything they probably deserved a penalty for handball against Germany. So honestly - you have no argument.

16. Gonchi

Gonchi Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Whatever helps you cope.

But seriously, see a doctor.

17. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Gonchi, dude. Really? Is that the best you can do.

OK. Time to cut myself off from this discussion. There is only one way it can end.

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Nothing against Ghana because they played amazing, but they did benefit from the dive/foul call right before the Suarez handball. Without that dodgy call maybe Uruguay reaches the final.

19. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    #519 zahzah, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
    Without that call it would still be penalties, but no mental advantage Uruguay (which BTW I saw footage on local TV which confirmed that the Ghanaian was clipped). Ghana's chances of winning the penalty shoot-out increase dramatically.

And honestly: Uruguayans dived all game winning freekicks in dangerous positions, so they don't exactly have the moral right to cry foul play.

20. Gonchi

Gonchi Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Considering how Gyan choked when put on the spot, I doubt it. He probably would have choked in the penalties round instead, and we would have had Suarez to take his shot too.

Would love to see that footage, by the way. Not sure how Fucile managed to stretch over a meter to reach Adiyiah.

Wait, weren't you leaving?

21. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I'm ignoring Uruguayans. BocaFan is Argentinian.

22. Gonchi

Gonchi Member

Apr 23, 2009
    I'm Spanish too. Do I only get half ignored?

23. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    [​IMG]

24. Gonchi

Gonchi Member

Apr 23, 2009
    So much for that then.

25. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    after reading this page, the question stands...

Do these people even watch the games? Sometimes I wonder... :rolleyes: