Brasileirão 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil: Clubs and Competitions' started by Emperor Adriano, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Matic would be the only one. Gaitan is a joke. Garay is maybe debatable, but I never rated him. Rodrigo wouldn’t crack the deepest position of our team.

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He does touch the ball, but after he gets Gabigol. Only thing I see is Gabigol does step in front of the defender probably expecting some contact ... but that's normal, clear PK. That's absurd.

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Nice marking Ze Rafael ...

4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Emperor Adriano repped this.
  5. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Pathetic. Other coaches deserve this opportunity. If i were to complain about brazilian managers it wouldn't be the quality, it's the fact that nobody looks at people grinding in small clubs. Inter watched those fortaleza and the Copa Brasil tie with Botafogo I hope......

6. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This move is all on Rodrigo Caetano. No one that he was interested in wanted the Inter job, so he went with the man he was familiar with during his Fla days. Luckily for Inter, they are a few points away from reaching that magical relegation number, so it may not cost them in the end. They'd be dumb to let Ze Ricardo continue into 2020 though.

7. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Is the deal just until the end of the season?

8. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah, till the end of the season. But they would have been just as better off having someone come up internally to fill in. They tried going after Luxa, Tiago Nunes and Roger. They also tried getting Racing's coach. I haven't heard anything about them pursuing a coach outside of Serie A.

9. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Ok... just this year we had Talleres defeat SP and Colón d. Atlético Mineiro. And those are two very mediocre teams from Argentina with budgets several times smaller than said opponents.

10. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think you mis understood the point. the sul americana really isn't valued in brazil. The schedule here mixed with the ruthlessness of the brasileirao is quite a bit different. Teams can coast in Argentina due to the format of the lg. River was lucky to slide by Cruzeiro who is terrible and in a relegation battle.

11. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  12. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It was great seeing Cruzeiro give up a draw after dominating the entire game against Fortaleza.

13. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Deyverson’s PK was legit? @celito

14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Initially I thought it wasn't based on body language. But looking at all replays, can't really tell with all the water. I think he may have been kicked. Obviously Deyverson jumped ... but that doesn't mean his ankle wasn't kicked.

But I don't know know how the ref could make out the contact on the replay.

15. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    @Mengão86 adilson is a mad man... He refuses to play an attacker. campinho-1-.png

16. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Some Brazilian coaches brought this onto themselves. Many have commented over the years that foreign coaches could never cut it in Brazil because of cultural differences and all the instability. Even the top coaches. This is all about ego and a pinch of not wanting foreign coaches to take manager spots so that many can keep jumping from Serie A team to team.

It doesn't help that for whatever reason he is making some nonsense analogy to Brazil 70.

18. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This is the first foreign coach to really make an impact tho.

19. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's a sight for sore eyes. I am really pissed off with that hire. They are literally letting Flu and Cruzeiro off the hook. One of those two teams deserve to go down this year.

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'd have to question the quality of many of those managers and if they were actually bringing something different. Having said that, they failed just as many Brazilian coaches fail all the time. For the same reasons. My point is, they were selling this notion that foreign coaches could never adapt to the challenges of the Brazilian league whenever there was a question if the Brazilian coaches could learn something from European ones.

Sampaoli has done a fine job with an average squad as well. In a very short time. So that's 2 successful coaches right now ... and more importantly, playing an attacking brand of football.

21. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's really a case of two extremes -- one side is being too defensive when it comes to questioning the quality of Brazilian coaches (and some of it rightfully so) while the other side believe any thing a foreigner touches turn into gold. For me, I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Some foreigners can bring new views and approaches to the challenges that our domestic game faces. On the other hand, there are plenty of capable Brazilian coaches out there that aren't given a chance because they aren't a big enough name or foreigner to buy enough time to put their ideas to practice or have enough weight to force the FO to make smart moves.

Flamengo, for example, made a bad move in hiring Abel. Say what you want about whether he is a good coach or not, but he simply was not a good fit for the players that we had on the roster. Our players needed a more offensive approach to the game and Abel is the complete opposite. Jorge Jesus' offensive philosophy was a good match for our roster. The real question was if he could adapt to the difficulties of the Brazilian calendar and a more balanced league from top to bottom. The fact that he is a foreigner with some previous success bought him time with the front office and our fans. If it were a Brazilian manager with no real big club track record, he would be under fire after the result we had vs Bahia. JJ said that game was a wake up call for him. He also didn't learn about how we value the Libertadores more than the Brasileirao until several games into his tenure.

In short, yes, JJ inherited a good squad, but the squad was a good match for his philosophy and he had to adjust to survive and succeed. He deserves credit. Are all Brazilian coaches bad because Abel flopped with basically the same roster? No, he wasn't a good fit. It's true that I don't rate him as well as I did 5 years ago, but we were mashing a squad peg into a round hole. I think there are some coaches out there if they were afforded the same type of leash to achieve similar (may be not as good) results as JJ has.

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree. When the criticism comes from the press about our coaches it's in comparison to the top coaches in Europe but the message that gets through is that everything from outside is better. Obviously there are "mediocre" coaches everywhere. And yes, there has to be a fit between coach and roster. Most teams, specially in Brazil, don't think about that. Ceni at Cruzeiro being a very extreme example.

As for the lower names getting chances, you can't blame that on foreign coaches as there hasn't been enough of them to take up much space. You can blame it on the established ones that keep doing rounds. As far as time to show results, I think that mostly, that's across the board no matter what your name is with few exceptions. We've seen big name, small names, and foreign names get the ax within a couple of months of poor results.

But let me ask you a question, when is the last Brazilian team that you remember that played as good as Flamengo is now ? With a focus on attack. I think it has been a long time. I honestly only started following Brasileirao more again in the past 4 years or so. I think you've been way more in touch than I have.

23. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This is not an issue with the established coaches, but an issue with the front offices being afraid to try something outside of the established ones. This is why we see teams in panic mode bring Abel, Ze Ricardo and Adilson Batista. Sure, everyone eventually gets the ax, but I bet the foreign coaches get a bit more time on average than a Brazilian one does. Diego Aguirre got a bunch of time and multiple opportunities at big clubs. Bauza got more time than a Brazilian would when he coached at Sao Paulo. Rueda when he was at Flamengo was given more time than usual and even managed to get a NT gig.

Cruzeiro from 5-6 years ago with Everton Ribeiro and Ricardo Goulart. They had a less talented team than Flamengo has currently. You really have to go way back to find a roster as talented as Flamengo's -- probably to the early 2000s or 90s. Cruzeiro won back-to-back titles and I am pretty sure they lead the league in goals scored. The other squad that comes to mind was Renato Gaucho's Fluminense side 9 years ago with Washington, Dodo, Conca, Thiago Neves, etc.

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Carille axe watch.

25. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'd love to be the team to put that nail in the coffin. We got them at home over the weekend. One of the most overrated coaches in the last 2-3 years.