Brasil vs Colombia (Eliminatorias Rusia 2018)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by pipevasquez, Sep 1, 2016.

1. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    kromekote and BlueDamian repped this.
  2. Jace

Jace Member

Oct 19, 2014
    James became invisible when Macnelly was subbed off and James moved to the middle.

3. BlueDamian

BlueDamian Member+

Jun 7, 2005
    In the shade
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Not on the first goal, you're right. I think that it was Bacca who fell asleep on that one.
    But I can blame him for the lineup which eventually lead to the loss. And we were lucky no to finish the first half down by 2 goals.

Speaking of set pieces, Brazil seemed surprisingly weak as well.

Azucarero repped this.
  4. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    #204 Azucarero, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    His new habit of stopping his run, staring down his defender, and doing a step over effectively killing the momentum of the attack is getting damn annoying, too.

There was a play where Sanchez turned the ball over by passing up field when Cuadrado shifted downfield. It was impossible to see who was more at blame given Bein's atrocious broadcast, but it pointed out a problem. Cuadrado doesn't try to get behind the defense anymore.

5. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Bacca was late, but he was guarding the post. Miranda was actually Jeison's man, who lost him in a screen. Either way, these set pieces are killing Colombia.

True, but I think the game plays a lot differently without that goal. Minute 20 and on, the teams were somewhat even. The game plan just fell apart with that goal, and the onslaught that ensued completely melted Medina and Barrios' confidence. The latter, luckily, was able to recover.

But yeah, Macnelly is for Barranquilla and Barranquilla alone. Medina is Arias' sub. And Bacca...well, let's just say I don't love him like some others do.

BlueDamian repped this.
  6. SoyDelMustang

SoyDelMustang Member+

Dec 24, 2007
    Flushing,Queens
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    What sucks even more is that not only should've this been tied. We could've won if it weren't for mistakes losing possession and being completely misplaced on defense. This team most definitely needs to improve but Pekerman also needs to act fast and not wait and hope for the best. Changes could've been made way earlier.

*if only Muriel finished that chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Azucarero repped this.
  7. GavoCol

GavoCol Member

May 12, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Que leeento y aburrido juega Colombia..hace tiempo que ya no tiene esa velocidad y cambio de ritmo

8. BlueDamian

BlueDamian Member+

Jun 7, 2005
    In the shade
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    As terrible as it looks for Cuadrado in this stills, where the heck is Medina? He's way out of position.
    I gotta watch the replay again

pepinointer repped this.
  9. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Era un partido que se tenía en los planes perder. Mostramos personalidad , estuvimos cerca del empate . En Barranquilla podremos ganar

10. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Me gusto mucho el debut de barrios mostró personalidad

11. Big Football

Big Football Member

Jun 25, 2001
    Some beach in Florida,
    Club:
    Deportes Tolima
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No, estabamos ante Brasil, un Brasil con un nuevo aire y nuevo tecnico, demosle credito al Scratch que nos quito la pelota, ante la presion y la obligacion de ser local. No todos los partidos seran ante Ecuador o Venezuela.
    Este es un marcador que se acomodaba al "presupuesto"

pepinointer repped this.
  12. dirtysanchez

dirtysanchez Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Barrios will play even better alongside a player like Daniel Torres.

pepinointer repped this.
  13. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    My point of view - Yes we lost the game, yes we could and should take points from this Brazil. Even though they played better, they weren't that scary so it's a shame that we let them play. It was for me, the easiest game of Brazil. If we could press them more and wouldn't give them too much respect, we could took at least a draw. This time we can only blame ourselves, not the ref, not Neymar. And why we need to give them free goals from set pieces every fu*king game?

For me, the best players were Ospina, Sanchez & Cuadrado. Most of the players play bad, Medina and Barrios for me were the worst. I was afraid about Medina's possible to play in this match and unfortunately I was right. He was clueless vs. Neymar and basically every attack from his flank. By the way, it wasn't his fault in the second goal. Barrios lost the ball Medina came to help Sanchez and the middle and Jeison should've cover for him but he left Neymar wide open.

Now Barrios. The guy has a potential to be our next Sanchez and he is still young and hopefully will learn from his mistakes. But horrible first half and a slight improvement in the second. The problem? He keeps doing unnecessary fouls near the boxes which also caused us Neymar's goal in Rio 2016 and yesterday he did another one which the ref didn't call but one minute later he also didn't call for a foul that Neymar did on Barrios which led to the second goal. I hope that he'll improve in Boca and we should trying him more next to Sanchez and Torres, but yesterday he wasn't good overall.

James once again should've done more. These are the games that we need him the most, not Bolivia at home. He is the captain, I want to see his leadership, to be more involved, to try more shots outside the area. Mac was weak but James struggled when Mac was subbed. Bacca had two games that he will like to forget asap, although yesterday it was less his fault. Muriel surely impressed me vs. Venezuela and was not bad vs. Brazil, just need to work on his finishing.

At the end, we wanted 4 points and we got them. How exactly? look at the other results, all in our favor. No one thought that a game in Brazil is a game that you need to take points, but we also counted 3 easy points for Chile vs. Bolivia and for Argentina vs. Venezuela. Peu victory also help us and Ecuador already has 3 straight loses. so we kept our WC spot after these rounds and next month we have crucial matches in Asuncion vs. Paraguay who will play with a lot of pressure due to their loss and vs. strong Uruguayan squad but in Quilla.

Furnaccio repped this.
  14. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Luckily we had some favorable results. Ecuador lost, chile dropped points at home, even the Venezuela result.

We dtopped a couple of spots but still look good to make it with a lot of tough away matches out of the way already

dapip and pibe10 repped this.
  15. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

The way I see it, usually the first 3 spots, will make around 60% of their points: Uruguay, Brasil and Argentina are on pace to do it. For the next direct spot, we are looking at a little over 50% (probably 50%+3 points) and Colombia and Ecuador have done exactly that so far. For the 5th spot, 50% of the points usually suffice.

In that order of ideas, the 4th place needs 30 points, Colombia has 13, therefore we need at least 17-20 points in 10 games.

Games we can win on paper:

Uruguay
    Chile
    Bolivia
    @Venezuela
    Paraguay
    @Peru

That is 18 points.

We also have @paraguay, Brasil, @ Ecuador games, where a draw is possible. I will asume that we will lose to Argentina in B.A., but everything is possible.

Azucarero and J-Mezzy repped this.
  16. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think that the main problem was giving away a goal so easily in the first minute. Yes, Medina had a horrible day and he looked vulnerable the whole night until help came his way and he kept making the same mistakes over and over. OTOH, do you think Arias would have fared better? I sincerily don't know, since Arias looked also very vulnerable in our defeat against Uruguay and those guys were no Neymar and Marcelo.

From there on, the team looked not defensive enough and very vulnerable on the right side. Only towards the last third of the first half was able to gain control of the ball and to play Pekeball, that ended up in the foul that lead to the partial draw. During this 15 minutes and the first part of the second half, the team looked solid and they took away Brazil's options.

Brazil's second goal was a little bit of a fluke, since apparently Barrios was fouled (no call) and that left a space in the middle; Medina comitted to the middle too early, which in turn left the right side open for Neymar. However, aside from Barrios' inexperience and Medina's mistake the problem was that neither Roger or Cuadrado actually changed the game much. Martinez was easily manhandled and Cuadrado, while he looked brilliant a few times, showed that proclivity to kill the flow of the play, which in turn allowed Marcelo to easily control him and to create more runs on their left side. Marlos touched the ball too few times.

Regarding James, I think that he was too predictable and Macnelly did not help him. I was wondering if Cardona could have done better than Macnelly, since he is stronger and because he also looks for his shot. When Macnelly was subbed, there were a few plays where James connected with Cuadrado, but again, they didn't take it straight to the area, which allowed Brazil defense to recover and crowd the middle.

It was a though game, I was hoping for a point, but at the end, the table is still close enough and we have enough games to make it through.

Azucarero, J-Mezzy, pibe10 and 1 other person repped this.
  17. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We have Brazil space and counters, with those factors we were penalized.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nothing I saw last night really surprised me.
    We always seem to give up set pieces to those guys. Neymar finds a way to kill us more often than not, and we struggle to put shots on goal.
    The only thing that did surprise me was that Brazil scored a goal for us and kept us in the game.

The next four games to finish off the year are going to be brutal. Epic battles that will come down to strength, heart and being more efficient with chances given to us.

19. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    A Paraguay siempre le hemos ganado en Asunción en las últimas 4 eliminatorias , que está no sea la excepción

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That just means they are due for a win.
    And looking at those games in proper context, those matches were played the very last match date. When either Paraguay was already clinched and was not playing for anything... ... or they were already eliminated like in the last cycle.
    The game in October is going to have a much different vibe to it.

pibe10 repped this.
  21. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Barrios really wasn't that bad.

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    For a debut I really could not ask for anything more from Barrios.

dapip and Doogs repped this.
  23. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He wasn't that bad and we didn't have a better option in this position but in a regular situation I wouldn't put him. And like I said, I hope he'll learn from his mistakes for the future.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

24. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Other than the 2015 Copa America game where we beat Brazil, it appears we have a tendency to give Brazil too much respect and space. I wish we played against Brazil with the same intensity we played against Venezuela.

In the Venezeula game, we constantly pressured them and did not let up, even though we were leading the game. We did not park the bus once we had the lead.

Against Brazil, we let them control the game - i was pleasantly surprised that we were at 1-1 at half time but we looked content in maintaining a draw. the first five minutes after Neymar scored, we showed some urgency, but that quickly faded away.

1. Ospina - had some good saves, not much he could do about those goals, sucks that he will go back to the bench at arsenal - hope he can make the best of the occassional game he plays between now and next NT appearance...

2. Medina - i liked what i saw against Venezuela; Brazil - tough day; would like to see him feature in friendly games so he can build confidence; Santiago is the clear starter going forward, but Medina should not get crucified

3 and 4. Murrilo Brothers - them two and Zapata all make a solid rotation in CB - not concerned with the CB role

5. Farid - solid LB - hope he can stay healthy and fit throughout the rest of the WCQ and be our guy for the WC

6. Wilmar Barrios - rough 1st half with an improved performance in the 2nd half. Pekerman rolled the dice giving him this game for his debut. let's give him a run of games in the next set of friendlies or have him be a sub when preserving a lead.

7. Carlos Sanchez - he's the man, nothing new to report

8. James - looked sharp against Venezuela, needs to demonstrate that against teams like Brazil, Argentina, Chile on a consistent basis.

9. Macnelly - what's his role going to be with the NT? he's the opposite situation of Freddy Guarin. prior to 2014, Pekerman leaned on Mac20 heavily and excluded him from the WC; while Guarin was always on the peripheral and utilized once in a while and then played against Brazil in the quarterfinal of the World Cup.

10. Bacca - watch him score 2 goals this weekend for Milan. club form and national team form are two different stories here

11. Muriel - i like what he brings to the table. he is explosive and not afraid to take the ball or take shots. would like to see more of him in the future for the rest of the WCQs

12. Pekerman - needs to be more efficient with subs. JC11 for Mac20 in the 52nd minute - good sub, shows he wants to change the pace of the game; Marlos in 81st minute - seems like an act of desperation rather than tactical move. the only kind of subs that should happen in the 80 - 90th minutes are defensive subs to kill time and momentum.

fingers cross everyone maintains match fitness, stays healthy and continues to improve their performances over time!

Paraguay and Uruguay up next!!! 3 points from Paraguay is a must on the road, and with Uruguay at home it would be great to get 3 points at home against them!

Azucarero repped this.
  25. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I give stephan medina the benefit of the doubt.

dapip and Furnaccio repped this.