Bradley to Roma? Or Palermo, maybe?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by delo_pata, May 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. delo_pata

delo_pata Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Durham, NC
    I'm not as convinced of that as you. If he can keep improving his discipline I think he has a great shot at getting regular PT at Inter.

Really? Like who? Not Dempsey. Not Reyna.

2. Emperor_Norton

Jun 14, 2007
    Schalke will find it easier to qualify for the CL in the future - thanks to the BL´s 4th CL spot. Roma, on the other hand, will find it harder because of Serie A losing one CL spot. The past might be important, but I would argue that the future is even more important.

3. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like Jones and Howard. Didn't we just go through this?

This. Going forward, Schalke will have a significantly better chance of qualifying for the CL. Inter and Roma may have history, but I'll take our CL spot over history all day any day. Our projected revenue is $260-280 million next year, Inter will be lucky if they can get to 250 (without the CL). Roma will be lucky if they can get to 200.

4. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    Like JOB

5. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Frankie & and Jovan

6. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even DMB for that matter (for a season at least)

7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    FYP?:geek:

Seriously though, that's a pretty good argument in a debate that can go on forever. I'd just repeat that I was taking issue with a statement that Schalke already are one of Europe's premier teams, to which the answer is 1) "where are the trophies?" domestic or European, and 2) the track record isn't that impressive in general, although it's improved significantly in recent years.

This is an argument that is as old as European football, and nobody has won it - yet. Let me just put it this way, Schalke's record in the last 5 years is much better than Liverpool's; does that make Schalke a premier European team and Liverpool not? Much as I dislike Liverpool, I'd still say they are unquestionably a premier European team, but reasonable people can argue over Schalke.

In any case - before the mods get onto us for a threadjack - given their infrstructure (62k stadium, huge MSA, good TV money, plentiful local sponsorship, politically-motivated main sponsor, etc) Schalke should become a European power over the next five years. Like City, they "just" have to go out and do it .

8. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    As for Bradley, were I advising him, and assuming trophies and prestige are a factor in his decision-making, I would recommend Schalke over any Italian team not called Milan, Inter or Juve. The BL is a better league overall, with more stable finances, and Schalke are an emerging power in a league he knows well and has shown he can compete in, even when he was playing for a very poor Gladbach.

9. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Too low on club. He was a very consistent performer on a very mediocre squad. Wasn't put in positions to contribute offensively very often. Too easy to dismiss his contributions when his team was so defensive. Even at home Chievo tend to pack it in at the back.

On a better team that allows him to get forward some, I think he's ready for a breakout.

10. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gladbach would have been a really good option for Bradley (had it not been for the previous fallout). They're loosing Neustadter to Schalke and could use a good replacement. Its funny how those things work out.

11. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I admire many of Milan's players. Players like Seedorf are class acts and I'll miss seeing him play in Europe if he goes to Brazil. Still doing the numbers I estimate Milan just dumped around €20m in post-tax salary (double with taxes), €385k per/week . I know Milan are one of the clubs most concerned with FFP but they can still add a lot of quality with half that. Putting Bradley in the rotation would be a good move and if Allegri stays that's the best manager for him. He'll get plenty of time.

I've thought for awhile that Milan's wages are inflated, those players are great and have tons of experience but this arguably should have happened awhile ago. They need to start offering similar contracts to clubs around Europe. I think FFP is having some positive effect more clubs are offering contracts similar to Arsenal and Spurs, who have been relatively of alone in how we structure contracts. Both North London clubs contracts are incentive laden, most of the perks kick in with CL football. For instance Spurs wages are around £60m without CL football, with CL football that figure increases 50% to around £90m as well as other performances based incentives.

I think more clubs are going to start structuring deals like this, you can already see it happening with Chelsea and how they approached Mata, Luiz and Cahill. All on similar deals to the North London clubs with slightly higher base pay. I think Milan can build a good squad that could compete in Europe for less then €160m.

I think if they really are thinking about rebuilding we might see Milan and Zibra mutally part ways. They pay Zibra €18m pre-tax, that can't continue forever.

12. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well, if Neustadter is off to Schalke, there's no room at the Veltins for Bradley and we've been arguing
    about a hypothetical - not like that's ever happened on BigSoccer before :speechless:

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no question somebody will make that argument.

14. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Schalke expressed any interest in Bradley? Umm NO. He is going to stay in Seria A for sure and he should.

15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I first came on BeeSoccer Nov 4 2011. That wasn't very long ago. I had Bradley on my starting 11 for USA and was surprised at all the rotten veggies that came my way just for mentioning his name. "Baldy", "baby sweats" - those were just two of the pejoratives hurled his way. Today the question seems to be whether he goes to AC Milan or Schalke. This is bizarre.

16. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    You missed out. The demonization of Bradley for 4 years is not USA Men's finest moment.

17. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets be clear, he's not going to Schalke. That was just a hypothetical. He'll probably be staying in Serie A. Personally, I think his performance in the US-Italy friendly also has played a part in his rise to prominence. Regardless, Bradley hasn't been linked with any Bundesliga teams as of now.

Skevinrules and BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  18. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its not AC Milan or Schalke its AC Milan, Inter Milan or Roma.

19. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said.

20. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BigSoccer is full of gutless punks and cowards

WrmBrnr and Fanatical Monk repped this.
  21. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    You think he's the only one?

It looks like you weren't here long enough to experience the times when Donovan, Dempsey and all the other USMNT players were being put down as well.

22. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    Thank god Freddy Adu has been immune to this vituperative behavior. :D

chinaglia repped this.
  23. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    Holden, Hahnemann, Feilhaber, DeMerit, Torres

Mr Martin repped this.
  24. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some have received more criticism than others. Bradley (early in his USMNT career) comes to mind. Kljestan stands out. He had some bad performances, but some were inclined to write off his career as a professional athlete at age 23.

BS posters are just irrational and reactionary. We have very strong emotions, and we take our anger out on scapegoats. :cool:

25. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobodys gotten more sh*t lately than Bornstein.​