Bradley to Roma? Or Palermo, maybe?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by delo_pata, May 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Considered player of the year? He rarely got motm for his team, that I remember. Maybe other players were less consistent?

2. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, who knows what actually might be going on behind the scenes. Here is an article from last night.
    Chievo fans call affectionately call him "the General." The 24-year-old helped the modest club avoid relegation from Italy's Serie A, and the speculation about his future has begun. Roma was reportedly interested in his services before he moved to Chievo. The storied Italian club has American owners, and it is believed they want to bring a U.S. national team star to the capital city.

Read more at: http://www.nesn.com/2012/05/michael-bradley-would-have-no-fear-about-playing-for-as-roma-agent-says.html

3. tubby_butter

tubby_butter Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Providence
    After reading the article, I think the headline should actually read "Nobody has called from Trigoria and Chievo haven't made Bradley's agent aware of any interest from other clubs"

4. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please Mikey for the love of god do not go to interMerda. I just started seeing the quality in you. I dont want to throw that away already ;) Milan would be nice, add a little class to that rather classless team.

5. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think all the Roma links from the past were just made-up BS by lazy journalists who remembered that Bradley played well in the Confed Cup and World Cup (and earned a lot of praise in the Italian media) and that Americans bought Roma. I don't think there ever was a real link there. We'll see, but I think that Bradley would be well-served to spend another season at Chievo. He's an automatic starter and learning the league. I guess if Inter or AC want to buy you, you go, but he can do himself very well (I think) by staying put for a year.

6. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly, a case could be made for exactly this.

Bradley has made some great decisions and has ended up in some great spots for his development. He has really only had one hiccup along the way, and the situation at Aston Villa was complicated by Houllier's illness and ultimately the coaching change.

This will be an interesting one to watch this summer.

WrmBrnr repped this.
  7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Aston Villa could certainly use him right about now.

8. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley is too good for Aston Villa.

9. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    And I just thought McLeish was a bad judge of talent.

10. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roma or Inter > > > > > > > > > > Aston Villa

11. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but is he too good for Villa? He might be one of the top players, but Bradley is no Messi. He's not too good for any EPL club.

12. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Villa aren't as bad as they looked this season.

Also, MB was in some of the worse form of his life during his loan period at Villa.

I think staying in Italy gives MB an advantage when moving up the club ladder. Unlike most leagues in Europe, upper tier Italian clubs can successfully buy and integrate players from mid table clubs within the league.

13. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    This. Michael was out of favor in Germany so he went to Villa. Houllier was not the coach the club needed and Bradley was in a bad spot. McLeish is a complete idiot when judging talent; he did sign Alan Hutton. Bradley made the smart choice of going to Italy.

14. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    An article from today's edition of L'Arena repeats that Bradley is as good as gone and mentions the same Roma/Inter/AC Milan rumors. But a couple of interesting new points:
    • Tottenham is now rumored to be in the mix as a potential destination.
    • Chievo paid Gladbach approximately €1.2M for Bradley but now he's believed to be valued at €3M. However, he could go at an even higher price than that and some sources in England even have him valued at around €5M.
    http://www.larena.it/stories/Sport/..._capitan_america_accende_il_derby/?refresh_ce

15. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that, if Mikey moves, he will go where he thinks he'll have the best opportunity. Still, I hope he stays in Italy. Just an excellent league for him.

16. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not coming to Spurs.

You have to remember with Italy they seem to always mention our club with every player rumored to leave Vucinic, Amauri, Samuel, Mexes, Milito, etc. I'm convinced agents in Italy do this to get players new contracts or moves in country. For some reason Spurs rumors are believable. If you were to say United people roll their eyes, but Spurs are just big enough but not as big as United to make the link believable.

There's really no room for Bradley - Parker/Sandro/Thudd/Livermore and probably our best prospect in our youth setup Massimo Luongo.

I'd like to reiterate how much Roma need a player of this type. Hopefully he impressed Sabatini this season because Baldini confirmed that Enrique is out, if I had to bet I'd say AVB will replace him. He's the manager we initially wanted but we wouldn't pay the compensation Porto wanted. Anyways my point is even though Sabatini handles the transfers and coordinates the scouting he does take the managers recommendation into account and would AVB recommend Bradley not having seen him play like Enrique and the previous regime?

17. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MLS web site has this lauditory article by Matthew Doyle, in his Armchair Analyst column:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/05/11/armchair-analyst-taking-notice-bradley-–-finally

Bees Knees repped this.
  18. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    I like how the reported figure Chievo paid BMG for Michael keeps on going down. It's 1.2 million euros now? They really made out like bandits with this deal didn't they?

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Going down the table in EPL, there was an opening at Arsenal but they say that M'ville has been signed which closes the window unless MB wants to sit on the bench next to Aaron Ramsey (p.u.).

Next stop is really Fullham unless MB wants an adventure at Everton with Moyes experimenting with Fellaini as target forward which leaves a hole in the midfield. Nah.

Next stop is Fullham which would be perfect if they have the cash to deal. Otherwise, Roma looks good but can you please tell me why you want AVB? I mean, if you can't somewhow work Fernando Torres into your lineup.......(?)

20. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather have him stay in Italy than come back to England. We have enough players in England, and I think it helps to spread the players out among different leagues. I admittedly haven't seen much of Bradley in club games since he moved away from Heerenveen, but if his play for Chievo has been anything close to the performance he had against Italy in February, then it's easy to see why he's being linked with big clubs.

I just hope he doesn't make too big a jump, and wind up buried on the bench ( like Gooch @ Milan). Roma does seems like a good fit, though.

21. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    This is not an accurate description of his club performance.

22. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  23. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you go to the Chievo page on Gazzetta's website, they have a blurb of transfer rumors. One of them is that they are working on selling Acerbi to Milan, who also inquired about Bradley. Also their projected lineup for the final game against Lecce doesn't even have Bradley on the bench.

http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Squadre/Chievo/

24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    man Chievo are hookin Lecce up for a shot at survival

25. mcritelli

mcritelli Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Milan did just lose Gattuso and will probably be losing MvB and maybe even Ambrossini. He'd certainly have a very good chance of securing a starting spot.