Bradley:Sun, 12/9, 14:30 SC Heerenveen - FC Groningen

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I think the ignoramuses in question are Cobi's former coaches.

2. green94

green94 Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel compelled to give you a hint without giving it away totally so...
    It rhymes with Vandon Ronovan.
    Good Luck!

3. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    The club was founded in 1920 and I'm sure that's not a complete list cause I figure Abe Lenstra had a couple hat tricks in his career.

4. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    FSF has no reason to lie... or make it up... and go over his posts when he is translating Dutch for us... he knows the English language...

and I bet you most BS posters do not know that... I would like to see the convo myself... but I trust his words... and that is a shock if Gullit is telling the truth... if you do not want to accept that, fine... but Im shocked

5. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Have you ever played the telephone game? None of the people playing are deliberately making things up, but yet the story comes out a lot different on the other end. Cobi interprets what previous coaches said, Gullit interprets what Cobi said, viewer interprets what he sees Gullit say on the show, bigsoccer posters interpret what is posted here. The chances of a misinterpretation in that chain are high.

6. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe FSF is either lying or making anything up. His posts are a major positive contribution to these boards. But, he did not post a verbatim translation and, even if he did, I would still argue that something was lost. Possibly back in LA where the supposed conversation took place.

Maybe Cobi said, "Gee whiz. Really? I never knew about playing a compact defense. The 95 coaches I've had since 6th grade never said a word. Frank Yallop never told me. Sigi Schmidt never told me. Bruce Arena, Steve Sampson and Bora Milutinović never told me. Maybe that's the reason we were so bad defensively this year and it had nothing to do with a near-total absence of defender skill? All because nobody every told us about playing compactly. Ya think?"

Compactness in defense is something taught to junior high kids.

7. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Lol, that is because Freddy is only 18.

8. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His Dutch is pretty good, but that's not surprising for a young, smart guy who's been there for over a year. He has to pause a few times to find the word he's looking for, but he is to be commended for learning the language at all, particularly when so many people speak English there. He's definitely picked up a northern accent, too.

JOB's Dutch is better, though. :p

9. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it is a big secret that, in a relative sense, American players' tactical sense is underdeveloped. We've traditionally relied on a limited game plan that plays to our main strength, which is our athleticism. And I don't think it should come as much of a surprise that the Galaxy are a tactically limited team. They're limited in virtually every department.

A great many players, coaches and pundits have pointed out the technical and tactical deficiencies of American soccer. One example is Jamil Fearrington, here. There is progress on the technical front, imo, but I'm not sure that tactical awareness is making the same sort of progress.
    On the other hand, it shouldn't surprise anyone that Ruud Gullit is a wee bit arrogant either. But he does have a point.

10. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

But what's so controversial about what he's saying? Just look at almost any International tournament we play in - at every level. Our success more often than not is due to athleticism, high octane pace, and tremendous expenditures of energy - and as a tournament progresses our effectiveness starts to run out of gas. Thinking on the ball and maintaining possession, breaking down a team, evaluating and adjusting to an opponent, playing at different paces, etc. etc. are not our strengths. But you could probably say the same of other teams, like England.

11. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't necessarily disagree with you. But what is "controversial" is the suggestion that neither Cobi or any former coach of Cobi's understands that a compact defense is a most fundamental tactic. That is simply too much to swallow, IMHO. There has to be a misunderstanding somewhere in the scenario, as presented. Maybe Gullit was intentionally exaggerating to make a point and simply stating, in so many words, that it's a lot easier to defend if skill and solid tactics than it is to constantly rely on "athleticism, high octane pace, and tremendous expenditures of energy," to use your words.

12. If he goes to Real Madrid he doesnot have to learn Spanish, he can speak Dutch overthere with the Dutch crew. Royston Drenthe told in an interview that he is teaching Raul Dutch. So they can force the rest of Real to learn it too.:D

13. Think what your NMUSteam could achieve with a coach like Hiddink. The Australians hired Guus Hiddink and he started a friendly international match campain as a preparation for the do or die matches the Australians were facing.
    With a large part of the players playing in the English Premier League you would assume these players had enough tactical knowledge. It turned out to be otherwise. I read in Australian papers that the players were amazed by what Guus taught them. These were things so fundamental you wonder what the hell those EPL coaches do overthere. I donot have a high opinion of most English coaches after those remarks of the Aussi players anymore.
    In the end it took a referee blunder to take the Italians to the next round!

14. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd actually like to see Hiddink coach the US national team. I think he'd be awesome at it.

And you're right (for once ;)) about the overall level of tactical awareness in the EPL.

15. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I personally think you are getting too bogged down in the specifics of the example which was sort of vague. (Ruud was instructing Cobi - I guess I'm out of it, but when would this have happened?)

16. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's BS, the only question that can be definitively answered 'no' is, "Was he at the time of transferring good enough to displace Paul Bosvelt"

17. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you realize that, at the least, Cobi also played in Mexico, Brazil, and England in addition to MLS?

18. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    and apparently, he still does not know how to defend (apparently)

19. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Can someone explain. Why would Cobi even be in training with Ruud as coach? Didn't he retire (at the end of the season) before Ruud became coach...

20. Reverend Paul

Reverend Paul Member

Dec 23, 1999
    San Clemente
    He's on the coaching staff.

21. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody know how to say "Missing in Action" in Dutch :)

22. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    thank you

23. Klont

Klont New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    He is 'Zoek geraakt in actie'

The thing is, we use missing in action aswell.

24. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, and JOB's larynx broke after only two weeks there, so he must be better. ;)

25. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Not I, he may be a good football man but the accolades about end there.