Bradley coaching watch

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bshredder, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea if he obtained his US passport. I know it was talked about a few years back when he was out of work and there was interest from the Puerto Rican FA. But most Yanks aren't nearly as douchey, egotistical, and just a straight up a-hole like Magath. Therefore, he's lost his "Yank Card" from me! ;) :D

2. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    That could have something to do with not having a league though. When that's worked out, things will probably improve for everyone there.

3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't think that's true at all. Norway and Sweden have very similar talent levels in their first divisions. Norway 1 > Sweden 2

Tom Collingsworth and Hararea repped this.
  4. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    No question. I wasn't trying to suggest that there isn't talent in Egypt. I think those results show (anecdotally) to me is that Bob was up against it, and did very well to get Egypt to do as well as he was able to.

You can't tell me Monterrey is 5 goals better than Al Ahly consistently. Most of the time I'll bet Ahly is better than Guongzou. But at this point, with the national situation, they're just not very good.....understandably.

5. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are right.

Hararea repped this.
  6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    You have a point but Bradley coached a team that reached round of 16 in a WC outside Europe so that is quite memorable. Not to the average Norwegian, but those in the know.

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    and why is that exactly?

8. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His nickname is Saddam. Magath has rubbed elbows and made enemies with coaches, management, and players alike including our own Jermaine Jones. But JJ's situation has little it do with my dislike for Magath. You either love him or hate him. He's commended a lot of power whenever he's been in charge -- often serving as Director of football and manager, a rarity in Germany, but it's often caused more riffs than good. I've always have a big disdain for his arrogance and petulance. Magath was won 3 titles, is a very successful coach, no arguing that, but his authoritative style and " I'm right, you're wrong" mentality has come across to me, and I'm sure many others, as bring a dick wad.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Didn't mean that he isn't a good coach, but not an earth shattering name by any standards.

10. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    I think Bradley would still be a trailblazer in that his soccer background is almost entirely American, while the other guys had long playing careers in Europe.

11. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    In some senses, it would be a lateral move, but in terms of future job prospects, it wouldn't be

Succeed in Norway -> better European offers
    Fail in Norway -> still in high demand stateside

Winning in MLS doesn't offer the same kind of upward mobility.

12. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    True, but big clubs tend to be loath to hire coaches from small clubs anyway, not without doing something extra to prove you regularly punch above your weight. And an argument can be made that Bradley, at 55, doesn't have the kind of time it takes to work his way up that ladder. The odds that Stabaek leads to, let's say, Everton or Atletico Madrid, are very slight.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  13. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    The odds may be slight, but that doesn't make the gamble a bad one. After all, few professions have ups and downs like the coaching world. Look at Roy Hodgson. Fired by the UAE at age 56, hired by England at age 64, after a wild ride through five jobs in between.

14. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    He's an example of how hard it is to get in the door at a big club starting from the periphery. After not a whole lot of club renown as a player, he started managing in 1976 in Scandinavia. He did eventually make it all the way to Inter from there. . . but it took 20 years. (And you're talking about a guy who won the domestic championship in Sweden as a coaching rookie at only 29 years of age.) By the time he coached UAE, he had a foot in the door of Europe's 'core', so the road back is not nearly as tough as the initial road in.

15. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Also a guy who was relegated with his second and third clubs. It's a wild ride.

Hodgson's post-UAE return to prominence wasn't so much a "road back" as it was a case staying on the scene long enough to catch a big break. After flopping at Blackburn, he hadn't been expected to work in the Premier League again, and it wasn't as if he had done anything of note with Viking or the Finnish national team, either. In spite of that, Mohamed Al-Fayed decided to hire him at Fulham, anyway, and he turned out to be an inspired choice.

Getting back to Bradley, if he is going to coach at a high level in Europe, he needs that one backer who's willing to hire him, but he probably also needs some European club experience first, and not necessarily a huge amount.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Well better Norway than a club in League 1 if you ask me. The man is going after his Dream.

Jeff Bradley repped this.
  17. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, ********ing Arsene Wenger was coaching at Nagoya Grampus Eight before being hired by Arsenal. It's maybe an exception, but pretty frickin' notable.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That leads to the question of how he got to Arsenal. What did they see in him?

19. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Indeed. Right off of his surprising success, the best he could do in England was a basically bankrupt club.

True, it is about having someone who believes in you and allows you to skip the customary line. But one would think that the greater visibility of coaching a National Team that makes the World Cup on a regular basis would give you that better than a non-extraordinary Nordic club would.

20. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I thought Wenger had some success coaching in the French top flight before he went to Japan.

21. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bob is American and doesn't have a prominent playing career in his past. Goes against him.

22. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he coached Monaco for 7 seasons, (Wiki) won the league once and the cup once. Klinsmann played for him for 2 seasons.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  23. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Not interested in your attempt to spin events from 30+ years ago, but there is an excellent article about that situation here.

http://www.footyplace.com/features/bristol-city-the-original-crisis-club-1128273723

Hodgson states the obvious: "We were not made aware of the situation before we arrived."

24. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    What the hell are you talking about? I said they were basically bankrupt, and your link above certainly backs that up. I did not say he knew that. It was a shit job, Hodgson didn't know it, but the board who hired him sure as hell did.

25. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    What you said was, "The best he could do was a basically bankrupt club."

If Hodgson was deceived about the status of the club, then it makes no sense to claim that that was the best he could do.