Bradley: Chievo v. Napoli, 9/21 2:45 ET

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by AllNats, Sep 21, 2011.

1. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Some stats... He completed 28 of 40 passes and was successful on 4 of 7 tackles and was whistled for 2 fouls.

Eurosport gave him a 5 player rating, only Sardo received worse but a few other Chievo got a 5, as well. Interestingly, among Eurosport users he currently has the highest rating for Chievo with a 7.6 and only the goal scorer Moscardelli got higher.

2. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty good first start. He'll get sharper as he plays and gets to know his teammates better. It seemed like he came out much more aggressive in the 2nd half. If he has to defend wingers 1 on 1 as much as he did tonight he will have some trouble. He's always been good at covering for the fullbacks, but he wasn't covering for anyone tonight - he was the RB when they dropped back to defend. I don't think I've ever seen a back 6 like they had, but it got the result.

3. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    As an either-sided, box-to-box midfielder in Italy in a 3-man central midfield you're gonna succeed or fail based on how well you help out the fullback on that side. That's just the way it is. I don't watch enough non-Italian football to really comment on how it is elsewhere.

4. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the whole game. It was painful to see him get beat again and again with dribbling and speed.

However going forward he looks like he'll do well and his skill should be up to par. If he can get used to not getting really wasted in defense he should do really well, if not he'll be ok. Overall I'm pretty satisfied with his play, and hope he gets better.

His work rate was one of his best attributes, not surprisingly.

5. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    I understand his sense of opportunity. The question was really because he had an opportunity to very, very likely take a minute or so off the clock with options on the wings as well as space in front of him. I was submitting that taking time off the clock at that point was much more important than taking a flyer on a long shot.

Curious that Bradley only completed 70% of his passes...that wasn't what I remember visually.

6. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that stat sounded low, too, from what I saw.

7. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had some clearances/headed passes that might be counted in that. It wasn't his sharpest passing game either. He was fine when he kept it simple but tried some more attacking passes that didn't find their targets either from lack of sharpness or understanding with his teammates.

8. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. And since Chievo looked like they were all fixed to rails that only went two directions (team wins ball, run directly forward towards the other goal until team loses ball), the forward options were all direct and poor angles.

That team needs some lateral movement.

9. delo_pata

delo_pata Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Maybe Egypt will cap him! Oh wait. Sorry.

10. BirdsonFire

BirdsonFire Member

May 9, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Wait. What???

Showing for the ball has always been a strength of his. And he already has been great moving forward (see Herenveen [sp?])

His team sucks at passing. That's going to make everyone look bad.

11. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does it count that, IMHO, he was playing both as a right-sided midfielder and as the right sided fullback? Very seldom was there a real fullback helping Mike out while he slowed the wing attacker. He was left with rather a lot to do. Were Chievo playing a 3 man back line?

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it was four, but the outside midfielders were expected to drop in when the ball was on their side.

13. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Soccernet's average position chart (as well as the "on paper" starting formation that they give) had Bradley as the right central midfielder in a 4-3-1-2 skinny-diamond. It also shows about a 30 yard gap between the fullbacks and CB's.

14. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I didn't see this game but Napoli's first team typically play a 3-4-3 with the front three all switching and sometimes defending as AM's. So against a 4-3-1-2 the opposing fullback often has to mark one of the front three, so when the wingback is in the attack it causes a lot of problems.

15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so high on his performance. I saw him lose the ball a few too many times. He was completely burned by that little quick man half a dozen times. I think he'll have to improve next game to keep his spot.

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must have only focused on him.

17. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    what kind of sense does it make for a player who is a slow cmid to repeatedly defend a quick skillful winger on the edge. seems nonsensical to me.

i don't see how bradley can succeed going forward with that job requirement. he simply does not have the footspeed of a right back, and he had no right back helping him for the most part.

seems like a recipe for embarrassment to me, and he was indeed embarrassed several times in this match.

haven't noticed this quirk in serie a before, but then i haven't looked at serie a with any great interest.

18. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think MB was embarrassed. The right back should have been embarrassed. Where was he? Bradley had the speed and acumen to slow the attacker sufficiently to allow a second defender to also apply pressure. That second defender seldom appeared. The winger was a good player, by the way, who he dribbled calmly, efficiently and got his crosses off. If I were the coach, I'd be rather unhappy about the situation because every team Chievo comes up against will now play the same tactic and succeed just as well or more so (i.e., get a goal out of it). Allowing the opposition to repeatedly pull Bradley out of the center is not a good thing.

19. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    it happened so often (cmid individual defense of a winger) that it looked like it was by design.

and nickyviola suggested in post 153 that bradley will succeed or fail based on how well he does this task. (i know he said "help out", but, like i said, at chievo "help out" seems to be 1v1 defending out on the edge)

i know, i know.

one game.

i'll calm down.

20. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree it looked as if it was by design. If so, forget this season for both MB and Chievo.

21. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He looked worse than the rest of his teammates to me in this game. I'm a fan of MB's. I'm sure he'll be fine.

22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't agree with that assessment.

23. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No he definitely did not look worse than his teammates. For being new on the team, etc. he looked fine; easily the middle of the pack. I would be shocked if he didn't stay in the starting 11. That said any role relying on him to contain speedy wingers like that better teach him to stop making those lunges. I didn't keep count, but it looked like half of them put him off balance or on the ground *behind* the attacker.

Edit: That said, it was sad to watch that team and think what might have been if he'd stuck with BMG who are now 3rd in the BL!