BPL R29: Newcastle vs. Stoke City, in 52 minutes

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by tigerdave, Mar 10, 2013.

1. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starters: Elliot, Debuchy, Saylor, MYM, Santon, Tiote, Cabaye, Sissoko, Jonas, Gouffran, Cisse.

Subs: Harper, Haidara, Perch, Anita, Marveaux, Squidward, Campbell.

And then there's Michael Owen:

"Just signed autographs for about 40 Newcastle fans outside our hotel. Not one single bad word spoken towards me.
    "I reckon they will be the exact same people who will be booing the life out of me should I appear on the pitch today!!!"

On the bench for Stoke. I honestly forgot he was still a professional footballer.

2. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has he been since he was signed with us? Does anchoring the bench and collecting a paycheck count as "being a professional footballer" now?

tigerdave repped this.
  3. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frustrating first half. Clearly the better team but unable to capitalize when Stoke has a breakdown. Both teams keeping it mostly tidy in the back. Need a moment of magic to open up the game.

4. mplsTOON

mplsTOON Member

Apr 25, 2006
    @ St James Park
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Meh. Im not surprised. Typical Pardew team, typical work rate, typical result so far. Lots of air balls into areas defended by some of the best aerial defenders in the league.

It's defend and counter vs defend and counter...yawn. I'm going to re-wire my basement....

5. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was just about to say this has a 0-1 smash-and-grab written all over it. Thanks Cheick.

6. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If ever I were to love a man, it'd be Yohan Cabaye.

Russell1892 repped this.
  7. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marveaux. Magical.

8. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thank f*ck for that. I thought we played really well today and to not get all three would have been undeserved. Tiote's tackle was insanely stupid - what the hell was he doing? Other than the penalty I thought they never looked like scoring.

How's this for a pass and finish? (Was I the only one who immediately thought he would be offside?)

[​IMG]

9. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sure did. Lots of guys on Facebook and twitter did. Judging by the way he struck the ball I'm inclined to think even Cisse thought he was offside.

Someone get a video of the Cabaye goal. If you can see Steven Taylor's antics pre and post goal, it's worth the price of admission. Comedy gold.

10. mplsTOON

mplsTOON Member

Apr 25, 2006
    @ St James Park
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Watching the first half i would have looked at you funny if you said it would turn out the way it did. We're we're pretty dire and then it was only a matter of time. Cisse's goal was almost a let down as I had reflexively dismissed it for him being offside. By the time I realized it went in they were showing the replay as if it was unbelievable that was onside

Only thing I can add is Pardew got it spot f*kin on today. Props to him for that. I think he's found out just how to play Marveaux.

tigerdave repped this.
  11. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Tayls probably doesn't go all batshit crazy if Brgvc doesn't get all up in his face when he's trying to play the peacemaker.

Nice result. No backsliding, please.

Thx,

Jay!

12. bacon06

bacon06 Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I wanted to start following an EPL team, I found out what team Michael Owen was playing for because I have a random poster on my wall of Owen for the English national team. He was playing for Newcastle at the time, or at least that's what FIFA told me, so I decided to become a Newcastle supporter. I later learned what Newcastle supporters thought of him....:oops:

13. mplsTOON

mplsTOON Member

Apr 25, 2006
    @ St James Park
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Michael who?

Here is his heat map from Sunday:
    [​IMG]

surprised he got that far...

JayRockers! and tigerdave repped this.
  14. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sure was a whole lot of bringing the ball up the wings at will... followed by kicking the ball the Begovic. o_O I particularly liked how you couldn't tell Debuchy was playing right-back. Lucky to waste so much and still get the win.

15. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
  16. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Makes me want to get a youtube account so I can rep the user.

Thx,

Jay!

17. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hah! brilliantly funny.

18. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nolan was great at standing on the goal line and poaching balls in front of the keeper, but trying to block the keeper from lining up his wall is gamesmanship. They'll have to make a rule if this catches on.