BPL Match 5: West Ham Vs. Newcastle United, September 14th

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Russell1892, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well howay the lads, we're off to Upton Park (or the Boleyn or whatever they're calling the place until they can ditch it for the Olympic Stadium). We're without Mitrovic due to suspension, and Dummett due to injury (maybe Marveaux too? Not that he would play)

They've been poor at home but have managed to win at the Emirates and at Anfield so far, we're still searching for a win under McClaren. Mark Noble's suspension has been overturned making him available for them.

The big selection for Steve is whether to play Cisse or Perez up front, and a hope that we can keep eleven men on the field. Last season Sissoko got sent off here as we lost a scrappy affair 1-0.

This would be a great time to get a first win under Schteve. Howay the lads and discuss....

2. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    We are utter crap.
    I don't see us winning more than 6 games this year.

3. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not seeing the 4-2-3-1 working so far, at all, at least from a creating chances point of view.

The second goal was frustrating and I think Haidara dived in too early, and at that point West Ham could stick 11 behind the ball and look for a counter (again), was frustrating to see De Jong and Perez brought on when the game was essentially gone.

I just don't see what the plan is at the minute to get the best out of our players... I would have rather seen De Jong start than Sissoko, and Cisse is great as a fox in the box but he doesn't fit the methodical build up we seem to be going for under Schteve.

Anita and Colback were shit... what's the point in playing two holding midfielders who don't protect your back four?

Just not seeing it at the minute I'm afraid.

JayRockers! repped this.
  4. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Yeah, that first game built up some expectations. But I said then it looks like more of the same from last year. Take away any threat of scoring, I'm not surprised were bottom.

Thx,

Jay!

5. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't see it as being the same as last year - I think there was more of a genuine ineptitude of the coaching staff in those days. I just don't see us manufacturing a system to fit the players in. Although in the first half there was a trend of Krul passing short to Mbemba who then hoofed it upfield... if that had been Williamson then the baying crowds would be out in force.

It almost seems like we're too structurally rigid, I've yet to see anything of Wijnaldum other than his goal against Southampton... this lad was player of the year in Holland last season (in the same team as Memphis Depay). Can anyone recall a moment where he's really been involved or dictating play in the five games so far (goal excepted against Southampton)? I'll give him time as he's new to the PL but the system isn't helping him obviously (and I can't pretend I knew him well from his time in Holland).

I personally don't rate Colback... I don't see what his purpose is. I think he's a "Jack of all trades" midfielder (excuse the pun), essentially mediocre in every aspect of midfield play. He's the kind of player who gets credit from fans for running twenty yards to tackle someone, when if he had more positional sense he would have been there in the first place.

Anita was bad tonight - too many misplaced passes and he and Colback seem content to pass it around our own half with no penetration. They offer little to the team in either a defensive or attacking capability, I still think there's a tidy player in there somewhere if used in the right way though. I could see him dictating play from deep if the options were better (and by that I mean players looking for space).

The front three.... what is the plan? Sissoko has been shoe-horned into a wide right role, but essentially he's a waste of a shirt at the minute (and for the past 12 months?). He doesn't get into the box, he rarely looks like scoring or assisting and I said to a co-worker today that I hoped de Jong started ahead of him. Champions' League? You're having a laugh son.

Cisse, other than being the one player in our squad you'd want a chance to fall to, he offers nothing in the build up and becomes dangerously isolated, particularly in away games. How would you set up a system to provide him with chances though? He doesn't have pace or aerial ability... getting it wide and looking to stick one in the mixer (to use an increasingly antiquated phrase) is generally wasted on him, and he doesn't have pace to get in behind defenders. He spends most of his time chasing down goalkeeper long kicks unless a chance falls in his lap.

Thauvin was not involved which was disappointing, hopefully it's a learning curve and the new coaching staff can get something out of these lads. I just find it frustrating that I don't really see a plan.... if there's one thing anyone should know is your best eleven players don't necessarily make your best team.

6. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Lol. I still maintain the players quit on the coaches, and our defense were the main culprits.

It's amazing to me that Colo is revered while Willo is vilified. Colo's pulled some shit that would get most players sent packing.

Maybe our plan is to sign "the guy next to the guy" since we got Reviere last year who fed off James & Falcao's scraps and now Gini. Who did Siem de Jong partner? We already had his brother who lit up the Dutch league last year.

Thx,

Jay!