Boycott City of Austin

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by ibrew, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    That's why locals are exploring buying the ********er out. Have you not been paying attention in the slightest?

2. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most want the Crew to stay and force Precourt to sell to local ownership.
    It is a very small minority that wants the Crew to stay at all costs, which would include Precourt (I do think he could salvage the relationship with a quick mea culpa but that window is closing fast). Either way the a large majority think the Crew should stay the Columbus Crew because that the connection to the community/fans/supporter/sponsors is what will build the growth of soccer in the US, not flexing your corporate muscles to see how high cities will jump. There are a million of other reasons but I will leave it at that.

As for Austin, caveat emptor. Reminds me of those infomercials that say, "If it is free it has to be good." Suckers. Precourt has proven to be a liar. He has also not shown any acumen for growing a soccer franchise. Hey I heard Bernie Maddoff can help you with your city finances too.

As for the MLS the opinion in Columbus has certainly fallen off a cliff. For me, if there was a way to keep the Columbus Crew and get rid of Garber/MLS-as-it-is it would be a win-win for all US soccer fans.

TKyle and chr1st repped this.
  3. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Seems to me that @DaveBrett is the type of person who would make excuses for nonces or rapists.

CrewV Man and chr1st repped this.
  4. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think about what YOU are saying.

I know you beat your last wife but I just KNOW all the sweet nothings you are whispering to me are true! You would never beat me!

What we want is to put ownership into local hands and oust the commish. Doesn't seem like too much to ask.

west ham sandwich, Timon19 and chr1st repped this.
  5. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    Precourt doesn't want to sell. You can't force people to sell their property if they don't want to sell. Have you been paying any attention to US property law?

6. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    You're going to get most of what you want. After the team moves to Austin, the USL will put a new team in Mapfre Stadium called Columbus Crew. You'll get Columbus Crew soccer without having to watch them play in a league you hate so much.

7. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I'm not in the boycott Austin camp but at this point you're being an insufferable prick.

ibrew, Dan Milton, Draghignazzo and 10 others repped this.
  8. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Dave - Go away. No one wants you here.

Go back to beating your wife.

chr1st repped this.
  9. Tycon5

Tycon5 Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will you just ******** off. Jesus Christ are you an asshole all the time or just on the internet.

Beerking, chr1st and Timon19 repped this.
  10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I didn't say anything about force. What the hell is wrong with your reading comprehension capabilities?

I thought you were one of the venerated old guard here. I expect more quality and less blind contrarianism that defies good sense.

Beerking, chr1st and TKyle repped this.
  11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All he can see right now is Austin in MLS.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  12. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Actually the local governments can force a sale of the Crew if they want to, via eminent domain. The property taken has to be for public use and just compensation paid per the US Constitution and there are a couple more requirements in Ohio law but it's certainly doable if the city/county can come up with the required compensation.

13. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Why are you so irritating? If DaveBrett weren't here, you'd be the most odious non Cincinnati Liverpudlian in the thread.

"...wull, ACTUALLY...<statist rubbish>..."

14. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fight for the soul of the MLS is not over yet, son. But if we lose, good luck with a tone deaf, greedy, arrogant league. You have fun with that, sucker.

15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aside from the fact that there is NO WAY the league gives up trademarks to the USL or another league or even Columbus, even if they never plan on using them again. They'll trot out a variant on a throwback shirt every few years to avoid losing the trademark.

Robbo Crewfan and CrewV Man repped this.
  16. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Really? You don't think the local pols should put their money where their mouth is? You think it's better for cities to spend more on stadiums for fatcats than spend less and buy the team?

Eminent Domain keeps the team in town and sends Precourt away. Win, win.

17. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    You probably love civil asset forfeiture, too.

18. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    No I think that's (semi) legal stealing.

But Eminent Domain has been around for centuries and is used to prevent holdouts from having a veto on civic improvements. Sending Precourt back to San Fran while holding on to the Crew seems like an improved situation over what we currently face. Nobody is saying he shouldn't get fair compensation for the team. But he bought the Columbus Crew and if he doesn't want to operate them in Columbus, we should find someone who will and send Precourt on his way.

don gagliardi repped this.
  19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    They're both legalized thievery, backed up by the violence of the state.

20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The same Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution deals with both eminent domain, expressly allowing it provided just compensation is paid, while expressly prohibiting the taking of property without due process, which in my mind is exactly what is involved in civil forfeiture. So the two concepts are treated quite differently under the supreme law of the land.

POdinCowtown repped this.
  21. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And let's take this to the politics board, please. Your points have been made.

22. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Uh, its a long drive from Austin to Big Bend like 12 hours. I would recommend flying to Midland or El Paso to cut the drive time.

Big Bend is worth it though.

23. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry not to be so nit picky, but Austin isn't in South Texas. It's Central Texas. Big Bend is in Far West Texas.

People in Austin will be glad you didn't come. All the big cities in Texas are maxed out to capacity with annoying Californians and their poke bowls.

Go to Big Bend and eat at the Starlight Theater and Tivos.

puttputtfc repped this.
  24. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh he wants to sell. He just wants to maximize his ROI. That's what this is entirely about. He is not a soccer guy - he is is a private equity wannabe. PE firms don't keep their holdings any longer than they have to. They buy them cheap, find ways to increase their value and then sell. That is the playbook he is following. Problem is, no one (other than 500 people in Austin) believes moving team to Austin will increase team's value any more than what he already can get in Columbus.

25. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    That's not nit picky that's rep worthy.

Dignan repped this.