Boycott City of Austin

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by ibrew, Oct 31, 2017.

1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess Sherman got the wrong city then....;);)

Dan Milton and chr1st repped this.
  2. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    Actually, no. Their job is to act in the best interests of the city that elected them. Their job is not to make decisions which would benefit a city which did not elect them.

3. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    Bill, you might be surprised to find that I agree with you on this. There are plenty of ways to subsidize a stadium other than writing a check. We still don't know where they will build in Austin. It might be on parkland, and it might not. But if PSV does get free land and infrastructure improvements, that wouldn't be out of line with what other MLS teams have received in their cities.

For example, Washington DC is spending 150 million on land and infrastructure for DC United's stadium. It may be premature to speculate on what the value of Austin's subsidy will be. But I doubt it will be anything close to 150 million.

4. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    Congratulations! You just showed how immature you are.

You must be really proud of yourself.

5. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I meant, and apparently went over your head, is the way he ran the Crew, interacted with the business community and excluded the Hispanic community should be looked at by Austin pols before they give him a dime. I dont expect them to give two shits about columbus but they might want to examine how movement from columbus could destabilize a weak league.

6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, as I've noted elsewhere, if he did it to his "first wife", he'll likely do it to you.

Robbo Crewfan and stanger repped this.
  7. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    A city without a soccer team would rather have a team with a flawed owner than no team at all. Don't you think Austin politicians would recognize that?

8. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But they should realize that the league and owner that just screwed another city, will probably do the same thing to the people that elected them.

It is fair to say that 12 years down the road, PSV/MLS will pick up and move to city X because "Austin never embraced the MLS", "Small market", "Not enough attendance","Metrics", etc.. .

Austin will be left with an empty stadium (with millions of infrastructure to support it) and less park land, fans that are pissed, academy players left behind, sponsor who are pissed.

Or it could be in 2021 when they can't get a stadium done. The MLS is showing their arrogant disregard for community (fans). Believe them.

Robbo Crewfan, TKyle and POdinCowtown repped this.
  9. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Well as long as you get a team eh?

Robbo Crewfan, ibrew and chr1st repped this.
  10. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh dear, how uncouth of me. I forgot to bring my manners to the shit-slinging contest with a contrarian, brain-damaged baboon.

Your words have moved me, sir. I have been shamed! I shan't act in such a deplorable fashion furthermore.

Aw, who am I kidding? Go to hell, you putrid little troll.

Are you on the PSV payroll? Do you really expect to come here and explain how this is all hunky-dory? Did you say to yourself, "I know! I'll give those rubes in Ohio a little razzle-dazzle and false equivalencies and hollow rationalization and they'll come to believe that the City of Austin is just an innocent bystander in all this?"

Yeah, no.

As others have mentioned, why would any elected officials want to get in bed with an organization that is actively ********ing over their current partners (and other investors...I see you, San Antonio +expansion candidates) while discussing terms? How could they possibly expect that organization to be negotiating in good faith? Is wheelin' and dealin' with a shady outfit in the best interest of the city?

"We have a deal! Although, we've proven that, if business metrics change, we may just take your money and back out and you can suck a big one. I hope your constituents don't mind. This will be great for your city!"

Yeah, we don't know, but do you know who does? The city and the sleazeballs from MLS and PSV. Since I'm too immature, I'll allow the esteemed Mr. Archer to speak on this for me:

Complete bullshit.

Not on you of course, but the story.

MLS paid for that outfit to do a study of the area and Precourt st al have spent a ton of time down there.

And the city council knows how many 20 plus acre.parcels.of park land they have in the city. (Hint: there aren't that many)

So all this "Well gosh and golly, we'll have to do a study now because gee, we just don't know what's out there" is hogwash. Total crap.

They decided long ago where they want the thing. He'll, even Garber must know. I'd bet anything he's actually stood on it.

Otherwise were supposed to believe that MLS and PSV stuck a fork in the Crew without any idea whether there was even a suitable piece of dirt to build on.​

What's this? USL Announces Return to Austin in 2019. Funny, that. Seems like you've got a team, so I guess you can ******** off?

But there's more than just the fact that Austin already has a team (with a stadium site and motivated owner). Here's a real kicker, courtesy of the lovely @stanger:
    Who wants this move to happen?

The massive soccer-loving community in Austin? Sure doesn't seem like it.

The fine citizenry of the city? Can't really say so.

The many civic and business organizations? Not that I've seen.

So... who is left?

As far as I can tell, only PSV, MLS, a handful of scarf-waving dingos, the city council, and you.

Man, it sure would be incumbent on the Austin politicians to make this clearly well-supported and widely desired move happen, even if it means making a deal with the devil.

Brilliant!

11. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Liked because this might be the first time in all my years posting here that I have been called lovely.

I have been called a lot of other things, and I mean a lot, but never lovely.

Thank you chr1st! :)

chr1st repped this.
  12. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Could you get on board with making it known that sponsors of the Austin stadium or jersey will be boycotted and get a lot of bad PR? That would be a more specific target aimed at Precourt. I think that more helps future cities faced with similar franchise extortion by punishing a relocating team, but that would still be a good thing.

Robbo Crewfan and west ham sandwich repped this.
  13. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You stating that something is a matter of moral principal is pretty rich.

Robbo Crewfan and chr1st repped this.
  14. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. I will boycott the companies and people who support Precourt. And if Crew leaves, all companies that support the MLS. Do they still make Reebok?

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  15. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Pretty sure Adidas owns Reebok

16. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F*** How about Umbro? Kangaroos? Kappa? Keds? K-Swiss?

17. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Nike bought Umbro a few years ago so they could get their logo on the England kit.

No idea on the others.

18. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
  20. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go with Hummel. I always thought their stuff was great.

21. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    I need to stop in this thread more often...
    "Sir, I'm afraid you have contracted herpes."
    "Doesn't matter, had sex."

Draghignazzo, stanger and chr1st repped this.
  22. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    British Knights!

23. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually just bought a pair of Gola shoes recently.

I had never even heard of em but I like them.

24. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Had no idea Gola were still around. Looked up their website.

They are a lot more expensive than they used to be.

Gola trainers got you beaten up. Along with Hi-Tec.

25. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    Think about what you are saying. If the league and owner are so horrible, why would you want them to stay in Columbus? You think that Austin should turn down the opportunity to have the team move here. We should just say "No thanks." But if the league and owner are so horrible, why aren't you saying "No thanks?"