Boycott City of Austin

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by ibrew, Oct 31, 2017.

1. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Oh no! A hashtag!

Of course, there will be a few people wanting a move. All I have seen is PSV backed events getting at most 200 people. That is not grassroots or a rally. PSV wants to be seen as your buddy, your pal and buy you a beer. Why not try, it worked before, right?

What city council person doesn't take a look at a 200mil investment? If they are far in the planning stages, it doesn't seem like Austin City Council knows much. This is MLS/Precourt wanting Austin. I don't see it being reciprocated.

Boycotting a city doesn't make sense when so few visit. There have been some great ideas in this thread. A fan walkout or silence would send a message. Boycotting Crew games is a great idea. We have an offseason to get concrete plans in motion but empty threats are a waste of time especially when the villain is so obvious.

Minnman repped this.
  2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What city council person actively becomes an accomplice to immoral investment?

3. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    All of them. This begs the question, why are fans supporting an immoral league?

THOMA GOL repped this.
  4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Please, stop using "begs the question" when you mean "raises the question".

Question begging is a whole different thing.

/pet peevery

5. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I shoulda asked different. Lolz.

6. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get it but most of these are not real people. And what are there like 10 of them total.
    Shawn Collins is but I would say boycott is "marketing" crap. I would not be surprised if he is a Precourt "corporate sponsor."
    Mr. StealUrTeam looks like a bot setup just for MLS2ATX crap. There are at least a few others like austinposse that are clearly Social Media companies that were hired to act like fans and get mentions.
    Soccer Observations is just a plain old a$$hole, you know a troll, with no indication he is from Austin.
    Forget these nothings, let them scream into the void.

If we want to hurt the people that matter, it is potential sponsors but especially present owners. No Gilette, no XBOX, etc....

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  7. Robbo Crewfan

Robbo Crewfan Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jan 21, 2007
    C-busite in Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, from his twitter page at least, Collins almost looks like he's trying to be the new Amway... (and no, that's not a compliment).

8. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I plead ignorance.
    What distinguishes one from the other?

9. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
  10. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I am too. Begging the question means assuming that which is to be proven, ie reasoning in a circular fashion.

12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, you mean like most of the discussions here.....;);)

13. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I needed the snorting laugh this produced.

14. FormerMLSEmployee

FormerMLSEmployee New Member

Rangers
    Malta
    Nov 15, 2017
    I love this. I say we make a pledge to blackball UT grads from employment opportunities.

15. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
  16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I don't remember all these cities taking the Crew. Nice try, though.

stanger, Robbo Crewfan and Placid Casual repped this.
  17. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    I am consistent. I will only go to Baltimore to defecate on a sidewalk.

QuarkspaceDotCom and chr1st repped this.
  18. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    This is one of the dumbest arguments I've read in a while.

stanger and Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  19. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if you care, for example, that the Oakland A’s got moved from KC and Philly before that.
    “Most cities in America” aren’t accomplices in the Crew’s departure from Columbus.
    I suggest you get back under a bridge or in the dark before daybreak hits.
    IMG_3341.jpg

20. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't support boycotting Austin because it is not their fault but don't try the moral equivalency argument with this situation.

1) The NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL leagues are by far the top leagues in their sport. They are also closed leagues. So cities compete with each other for those franchises. The MLS is not the top of anything. They need to work on building their brand. And the fact they are willing to throw away 22 years of work in a market because. .. well no one can really say why, shows lack of leadership and planning.

2) Most if not all of these recent moves are team that just could not make it in that market. That is not been proven in Columbus. All outside accounting says the Columbus market while not the best should be stable, and with a little effort could be very positive.

3) All indications is that PSV bought Columbus to move the team and avoid an expansion fee. He worked at making it look like a failure. If I was an owner I would let PSV fail and sell the franchise for $150 mil to the next expansion team.

Robbo Crewfan and QuarkspaceDotCom repped this.
  21. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ...then pick the turds up and move them to Indianapolis? At night.

22. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    MLS is a closed league just like the others. You can't get into MLS unless MLS lets you in. Also MLS is the top league in the US. That doesn't count as "anything?"

23. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

I guess we have found one of the MLS2ATX drones.

Never seen one in the wild before. Thought you were all bots.

Robbo Crewfan and stanger repped this.
  24. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is not closed, yet. There are 12 ownership groups competing for 4 spots with no more on the horizon.

So there was a simple way for Austin to get a new team, bid for it. Do viability studies, stadium plans, sponsor reviews like the other 12 who put actual money down to get a shot at the MLS. And TrustFund Tony was on that committee. This action might be considered illegal fraud as the San Antonio group alleges. It is funny that Austin was in the running but dropped out in 2013 right after Precourt bought the Crew.

And the MLS being the top US league means very little because it is still not the most watched/supported/funded/followed soccer league in the US. I know EPL and Liga MX kills the MLS in ratings and sponsors. Now if MLS starts thinking that they are strong of a league to start to piss off and abandon its fans and sponsors (add in the US fans being at an all time anger toward US based soccer) why would an American support them?
    If the Crew move, and I was a fan or Colorado, Dallas, Houston, Philly, RSL, Vancouver, or hell Chicago I would seriously reconsider my support of the MLS. I think I would rather watch Pulisic in Dortmund than waste my money on an okay team that does not give a carp about their fans.

Draghignazzo, TRUJDUB, stanger and 2 others repped this.
  25. Tycon5

Tycon5 Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, five references to MLS and one to a bottom feeding fish. A coincidence... I think not.