Bourgeois Capitalist or Petite Bourgeois?

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by juvechelsea, Jan 9, 2016.

1. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Any sense on the quality and potential of the HGP signing Bourgeois? We could use defensive help though the jump from Academy to first team here has typically been difficult. Is he more likely to end up at RGV, eventually?

2. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bubble player taking AJ's spot. If the rumors about Jalil coming here are true, that'd give us four solid centerbacks for the year.

3. Bradford 10

Bradford 10 Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Matt Doyle on MLS.com likes him....

"Houston’s been the busiest team in the league this offseason, adding everything from a new owner to a new No. 10 to one of the most underrated Homegrown defenders out there in Bradley Bourgeois."

I'll believe it when I see it. Outside of Tyler Deric, our academy has produced almost no MLS quality players. Dixon had some moments but that's it.

cougarclaws and Soccergodlss repped this.
  4. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Solid? The incumbents allowed 49 GA, the whole reason we are trying to replace/supplement them. Anibaba used to be a Fire starter (for a team perennially circling the drain of late) but ever since then he's seen three teams in two years playing less than one season's worth of games in that period of time. Was a bench player come playoff time for Seattle and KC. Which sounds more like Horst. Which sounds like we are picking around the clearance bin when we need a "no doubter." I wouldn't necessarily mind the CV for our bench, if we were not returning the incumbents, but if this is a potential starter?

Who knows on the HGP, though I will defer to the opinions on here cuz I've never seen him play. But I don't know you look at a one-dimensional Spaniard, two guys who as their career developed became backups elsewhere, and then a HGP, and say, "solid." It's more like we intend to pretend the goals last season were not the defense's fault, and bring in two backups, which is a dubious argument.

5. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do know that our midfield was the problem and not the defense, right?

Also, yes they are all solid. I doubt any win a spot on the Best XI but you don't need that to be successful.

6. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #6 juvechelsea, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    I get that is the theory du jour, but it is not what I saw. I know people want to say it's the midfield but we seemed to get overpowered on dead balls and beat over the top by longballs by teams like Vancouver of substantial speed. We spent a lot of time talking earlier about whether RR was up to league physicality and/or lack of foot speed getting beat to headers. And whatever dream land people are in on CB mobility, several times we were beaten for speed. It might not be Boswell slow but it is slow.

I also believe Horst is simply second rate, and Anibaba's amount of games played 2014-2015 suggests similar.

I think we are back in the realm of "two players is all we need again" and how has that ever worked the past two years. Every year people act like it's a sharp veteran team that will prosper by minor changes. No one seems to want to engage with the idea that it's sub-par at every level of the formation in some way. And I think it's ostrich level blindness for people to be like all we need to do is trot out Horst Anibaba and RR. Seriously? Go ask any other team's fans, or their old teams, how wise that sounds. We are, like Montreal once did, clustering a bunch of castoffs around a few decent players. There is usually a reason people are shedding bench players like Horst and Anibaba before they were signed.

People are now drinking Kool Aid the team didn't even have to sip first.

7. Bradford 10

Bradford 10 Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I hope you are wrong about that. Last season we played mostly with 2 D-Mids and were dead last in goals against. So what have we done so far? Add a number 10 who by most accounts plays next to zero defense, and hint that they want Barnes to be a winger. Do you see Barnes as a box to box man? Maidana better create a ton of goals. We are going to need them.

7seven7 and Soccergodlss repped this.
  8. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Go read the "traffic cone" or "catastrophically bad" comments about Anibaba on SS' threads. My sense of Anibaba is what he offers is going forward. I've already said my piece before about signing people for defense based on perceived offense.

9. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rico wasn't a DM. He was a box to box midfielder and the defense was on his partner in central midfield who had a very bad season (Garrido) along with a mishmash of other CMs of varying degree of defensive skills. Of that group, Nathan was the best but hardly what was needed. Rasheed shows promise as does Alex given the right partner.

By adding a #10, the Dynamo have the ability to revert to their old 4-4-2 with Rico in his old position of shielding the defense, something he is more than capable of still at his age.

It looks like the Dynamo are not going to be using wingers this season, either. They seem to be using inside forwards on both wings with the full backs being your wingers. That means Rico has to cover the ground left behind by those two in the 442.

With the middle of the field having an extra body or two to clog things up, that'll force teams wide where Rico is a beast.

Is it enough cover when Run and Williams get forward? Who knows. Sounds good on paper though.

Dynamo_Forever and 7seven7 repped this.
  10. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm not thinking we're much better up to this point. Lose Davis to replace with Maidana seems like a push to me. I'm not seeing anything too significant so far. Hoping Cubo gets closer to the guy he was before we went and got him.

11. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Yes that is my assessment of the offseason, slightly younger on Maidana for Davis, wild card on Wenger and Anibaba, mostly the same and one year older with a team that didn't make the playoffs. I am upset we didn't take the opportunity to free up more money and make more changes. People will criticize me for saying so but then they seem to enjoy defending these wilderness years for no reason I can understand other than beating on me rather than expressing frustration more constructively at its object.

12. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I recall correctly we were 12th in the league for possession of the ball. I don't care how good your CB's are or even your DM's but if you have to be defending most of the game you ARE going to concede goals. If we can find great chemistry between our technical players (Maidana, Alex, Miranda, Barnes, Boniek, Cubo?) then we should be able to control the tempo of the game and not allow us to defend most of the game.

If Coyle can manage to find this chemistry now that he and M.Jordan are building this team is what needs to be seen.

7seven7 repped this.
  13. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd agree. Our and forwards and midfield had no real control of the game. We'd have spurts but were not dictating the play against better teams. The biggest thing is having consistency in our play and why I think Barnes needs to be held to the fire a little bit this season. He is one of our best talents, but has never proven to show consistency game in and game out. We need to have that from everyone else in the team as well, but he has to be one of the ones to lead the way at this point in his career.

ChrizG13 repped this.
  14. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The true mark of a team captain.

CeltTexan and ChrizG13 repped this.
  15. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #15 juvechelsea, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    Hard to say. You look at the title years and in 2007 we had a strong combo of decent GF (43 in 30) and low GA (23). That is your ideal. That is the final we won in regulation.

When the GA went up and we made the finals, in 2011-2012 we had GF and GA in the 40s and we lost both years to LAG in the finals, with LA scoring 4 goals in regulation. In 2009 we had less offense (39 GA) and a fairly stout but lesser defense (29 GA) and were knocked out before the final, with no playoff goals in regulation and the defense finally cracking in OT vs. LA.

That being said, 2006 we were relatively even in GF and GA and got it done, but then every other competitive team in the West had a similar setup, and we met a NE team in the final with even weaker offense and similar GD. We won that on spot kicks. [It appears that some years a team strong on both ends runs away with it, and other years a team of more modest quality wins a crapshoot.]

I grant that playing on the other end is nice to the defense and would itself improve the GA (and GF), but thinking about it like basketball, where the game becomes halfcourt deep in the playoffs, you have to be able to stop the other guy. You might be able to sit on RSL's end, but the Timbers? Crew? Getting the GD back positive might get us back in the playoffs and competitive but to be really competitive you need an airtight defense. 2009 was the last time that happened and I always thought that was a title defense in search of someone to score goals. Ever since then 40+ GA and we never win it. I think we need to move in that direction, tough team defense (and efficient offense), which is not at odds with playing in the heat. Once you have that in place, all you need is two hot strikers for a period of time. You can do one of those in the summer.

The obvious problem with the defense is the CBs. The wingbacks are serviceable when healthy but lack depth, which is itself a problem. I am not sure either has been sufficiently addressed to make a real difference. I am not sold at all on the incumbents or Anibaba, who was part of a similarly mediocre SKC defense. There is hope for Agus and the kids. I am not sure if we got anyone who can spell Beasley or Williams when out, which was sometimes disastrous. We will see.

ChrizG13 repped this.
  16. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do see your point. Seems like they are trying to address it this season. (Keyword: trying) Let's hope it pans out with the new "investments" they are making to the backline. Like someone else posted our boy Deric shouldn't have to be putting up "Save of the weeks" every week (including two nominations at a time).

All in all coaching is going to get exposed if the backline is terrible again. Personally this is definitely the year to prove us wrong for Coyle, although I am not highly optimistic about his decisions. I hope if he doesn't work out cut him for sure and don't attach all of these emotions to the decision.