Bouncing Afro of Nutmeg Dribbling Death - Marcelo Lovefest Thread[R]

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Shay Z, Apr 20, 2017.

1. azriel

azriel Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    San Diego, USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The sin of El Clasico has been forgiven my son.

Go forth and rekt some more.

2. HZinho

HZinho Member+

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Marcelo has been a worthy successor to Robert Carlos!

Digital and Excape Goat repped this.
  3. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Just ordered t-shirts! don't know why me took so long but i must have this man t-shirts! What a player.

4. Crimson

Crimson BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 11, 2009
    Was my wife's first Madrid top, she absolutely adores the 'frocelo as she calls him.

Horsehead repped this.
  5. Halycon

Halycon Member+

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid

No LB even comes near him. I have never seen such a dominating LB in my life, in terms how important he is for the team. He broke Robben's legs there, when Messi did it to Boating the world came on their tv. Too underrated, but at least us Madridista appreciate him. He should play his last 2 years as a 10 at Fluminense.

6. -Reivax-

-Reivax- Member+

Aug 10, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Real Madrid legend.

Horsehead repped this.
  7. RoadMan

RoadMan Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    [​IMG]
    He turns 29 today.

I can still remember his interview:

And now he can even surpass him. Crazy. Happy birthday!

8. WhiteBlood

WhiteBlood BigSoccer Supporter

May 31, 2006
    Kuwait
    Happy birthday to one of the best ever.

Not perfect, but that's why we love him. Gives 150% every time he puts on this shirt.

Digital repped this.
  9. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He is Real Madrid legend. no one can argue with that imo! amazing player.

10. Phenom9

Phenom9 Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Wish every player had his attitude..seems such a lovely guy also

Y Nada Mas, manofsteel and Crimson repped this.
  11. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #36 MiamiNative0722, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    YOUNGSTARS87 and Y Nada Mas repped this.
  12. RoadMan

RoadMan Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #37 RoadMan, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017

Isco agrees with you, saying he has to grow a litlle bit more :).

[​IMG]

13. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Great achievement.

14. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that's epic. I love it.

RMSocrates, raven3k and 4x4s repped this.
  15. MaxY

MaxY Member+

May 24, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Theo is so lucky to have this legend to study under. Hopefully Marcelo continues the tradition and properly grooms Theo to be the next great left-back.

16. russian hattie

russian hattie Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If he overtakes Carlos in appearances and overtakes Carlos in league trophies and European cups, does he overtake Carlos in our greatest ever leftback list (does he become our all time greatest leftback)?

17. Marksman

Marksman Member

Dec 21, 2006
  18. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Thanks for your input.

19. russian hattie

russian hattie Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thanks for playing.

20. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Much respect....

We lucked out having RC and then moving straight on to Marcelo. That sort of stuff rarely happens.

RMSocrates, surgeon and Ahmadi8 repped this.
  21. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Amazing how he was completing with Drenthe who was probably more highly-rated of the two after the European U-21 Championship. I thought Drenthe would become the next great fullback. Marcelo came as the unknown player on the same transfer window with Gago and Higuain. The other two were already star players in Argentina. In my part of the world, we don't follow Latin American leagues, but I read about the two Argentina. I recalled Gago was on the cover of FourFourTwo(side photo) billed as the next great players along with several players. We should dig out the transfer thread from January 2007. Marcelo probably barely got a mention.

I found the cover.... January, 2007. It was published before he joined us. I was excited about his signing.

[​IMG]

RMSocrates, S1na, Doni and 1 other person repped this.
  22. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Gago much more so. He was linked with us the two summers before the winter we bought him in, once appearing on the cover of Marca. The comparisons to Redondo did him in, dude played the same position, from the same country, with a very similar look. Too bad he didn't work out.

I don't like the way we played with Capello but the revolution he created in the dressing room was the best thing to happen to this club.

RMSocrates, S1na, Doni and 1 other person repped this.
  23. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Meanwhile, Roberto Carlos also came as the "bust" from Inter Milan. LOL now.

I also decided to update my Real Madrid All-time team.

Marcelo is still only on my :"Honorable Mention. He has been there since after the second CL title. My two left backs remained to be Camacho and Roberto Carlos. It is difficult to unseat the two legends.

Today, I added this to my explanation after reading this:

If Marcelo won his 4th CL title, oh well.... I don't know. Roberto Carlos is often rated as the greatest ever left back along with Maldini, Nilton Santos, etc. He has a WC title to his credit. Marcelo has not reached that level on the international stage. No one would put him next to Maldini. Camacho was from Castilla.... he was an icon of his generation and the elder statesman on the La Quinta del Buitre. The older fans won't forgive me if I took Marcelo over him. We also had Rafael Gordillo who was more of winger because of Camacho. I ranked Marcelo ahead of him, but I do not have a ranking on my blog. Gordillo is on my all-time Real Betis team.

I have issues with Pepe too. Hierro, Santamaria, Manuel Sanchez Hontiyuelo and Jacinto Quincoces are my four centerbacks. Hierro won three European Cups. Pepe actually equalled that, but Hierro was the leader of pack while Real Madrid won three CL titles. Santamaria belonged to that era..... the one we romanticised about. He is often mentioned as one of the greatest centerbacks. His name is mentioned along with Moore, Beckenbauer, Baresi, etc. Manuel Sanchez is among the all-time appearance leaders. He also has royal blood in him..... he was the bridge between La Quinta del Buitre and Raul's Real Madrid. He is an one club man as well. Pepe is probably a better player, but Sanchez is "Madridista" at the fullest. Quinoces is one of the first ever stars on the team. If I took him out, i took out the entire early history of Real Madrid. And I have to push Ramos to the rightback! He recused us from losing to Atletico Madrid at the last moment of the CL Final....he did a few more times. Btw, he captained the side for two CL titles. What can Pepe do to beat them?

THIS IS REAL MADRID.... we are full of legends. Go play for Manchester City or PSG if you want to be on an All-Time Team.

S1na, russian hattie and MerlinRM repped this.
  24. Marksman

Marksman Member

Dec 21, 2006
    If someone started watching us in the last 12 years, then there is merit for putting him in your GOAT line-up, but for older folks I think RC should be ahead of him.

But that doesn't matter in the end. What matters is what will our club do after Marcelo retires and in that regard I hope and expect for the club to do the best it can to transition him to what ever he does or if he wants to take on coaching we give him that opportunity to at least take of his career with us. That how we treat our legends and I expect the same treatment for Marcelo since even tho he isn't GOAT for me at least there is no denying he is a legend of our club.

25. russian hattie

russian hattie Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    World Cup wins shouldn't matter when it comes to our own history. Marcelo has had struggles with the national team, which are not all his own fault.

Also, Camacho's legacy is tainted a little by his two brief coaching tenures here (just as Zidane's is enhanced by what he has done).

Still, these are small margins and personally, he has to be behind those two I agree. But he has been massive for us in all three Champions league wins and the fact that he is up there with these legendary names is a testament to him. We will get a real picture of things once he hangs up his boots.