Boston Breakers - 2009 Roster

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by REVS FAN 1, Oct 7, 2008.

1. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goalkeeper (2)
    Jaimel Johnson
    Kristin Luckenbill

Defender (7)
    Nancy Augustyniak
    Ariel Harris
    Amy LePeilbet
    Heather Mitts
    Kasey Moore
    Alex Scott
    Sue Weber

Midfielders (5)
    Stacy Bishop
    Angela Hucles
    Allison Martino
    Ashley Nick
    Kelly Smith

Forwards (7)
    Fabiana
    Christine Latham
    Kristine Lilly
    Jennifer Nobis
    Shinobu Ohno
    Amy Rodriguez
    Kelley Schmedes
    Lindsay Vera

I'm a little worried about our midfielder. May we see Lily or Scmedes move back to the midfield?

2. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hadn't caught that before or would have questioned it. I never pictured Lilly as anything other than as a midfielder on this team.
    Seeing them all listed as you have done raises some interesting questions relative to the formation TD wants to employ and whether some of the players we know as forwards or defenders or midfielders for their national or college teams may play a different role for the Breakers.
    Hucles comes to mind, she has played DM, AM and F just about anywhere she has played, including the USWNT and the WUSA Breakers.
    On a less dramatic scale, Mitts made her rep as a RB but played centrally for the Charge in WUSA in 2003.

I am excited about the general level of skill and athleticism this roster represents... now the real work begins for Joe Cummings to get them signed, and the true coaching challenge for Tony to get them in positions to succeed and come together as a team.

3. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    Yeah, the midfield list looks a little thin - but I would imagine Tony may want more than 2-3 of those players listed as forward on the field at once. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two of them moving into the midfield.

4. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, Stacy Bishop is a forward, not a midfielder; I'm pretty sure she played forward all four years at Florida.

Lilly, of course, spent a lot of years in the national team midfield. I emphasize, a lot of years and that, of course, brings its own set of questions about how well she can keep up the pace. I can see her in the attacking midfield position but of course that's exactly where you want to put Kelly Smith.

Christine Latham has been, as far as I know, exclusively a striker. Maybe some of the other forwards can be moved back to the midfield. I'm sure DiCicco must have a player or two in mind. He's going to have to.

But no team is perfectly balanced. On the whole, Boston looks good.

5. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    Yeah, I wonder how they'll use Lilly. My all-time favorite position for her is the left flank, though it would probably be unreasonable at this point to expect her to have the stamina/pace required to play there. She's been playing pretty exclusively as a forward the past couple of years with the WNT, and could slot into an attacking midfield role, but as you said, we have a lot of players to fill those roles, and not so many midfielders. Though, having too many talented attacking players is not a problem I mind having.

6. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see we've added Candace Chapman...Named as a discovery player by the Boston Breakers on January 16, 2009.

[​IMG]

Name: Candace Chapman

WPS Team: Boston Breakers
    Position: Defender/Midfielder
    Height: 5-7
    Birth Date: Saturday, April 02, 1983
    Hometown: Ajax, Ontario
    College: Notre Dame
    Club: Vancouver Whitecaps (W-League)
    Caps: 62
    Goals: 5

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Skoergal

Skoergal Member

Feb 19, 2004
    California
    Smart move. She has easily been Canada's best/most consistent player in the last couple of years. I was floored to see that she didn't get drafted. DiCicco is a smart guy. I continue to be impressed by his ability to both get the right players as well as get the job done as coach on the field.

8. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, a great move to shore up our midfield.

9. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    Didn't they have to renounce rights to one of their other international players to get her?

10. Skoergal

Skoergal Member

Feb 19, 2004
    California
    I believe the rights to Emma Byrne were recently renounced, which I think is how the spot opened up for Chapman.

11. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See post #47 of this thread. Both Byrne and Maicon were renounced on draft day.

12. annabella

annabella New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be great watching Kristine Lilly play for the rest of her career. All my friends and I have been such big fans since we were little kids. I send a Kristine Great Friends Greetings to them all the time. I'd love for the league to do well and for Kristine to play for another five years - it will be so much fun to watch.

13. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20090123-00000048-yom-socc

ok who can read Japanese??

I've seen on the WPS board that the bottom of this article says that Shinobu Ohno has signed a contract in Japan and will not be joining the Breakers...

EDIT: BABEL FISH RULES!

TRANSLATION OF ABOVE LINK!!

On the one hand, it was drafted was designated from Boston, it announced day tele, renewal of a contract the FW Ono patience which states day tele remaining behind (25) concerning.

Jesus even the translation is confusing!:D

14. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    She's resigned with Beleza. Check out their website which has a few blurbs below the announcement re: Sawa.

15. sinclairFan

sinclairFan New Member

Oct 27, 2005
    Ont, Canada
    Getting Chapman, wow. This team is looking pretty powerful, she is such an asset, she can play at the back, or control the midfield.
    Im quite intimidated to be honest.

16. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boston Breakers Come to Terms With England Defender Alex Scott

The Boston Breakers announced the signing of English National Team defender Alex Scott to a multi-year contract this afternoon. Terms of the deals were not disclosed per team policy. Scott becomes the second international player to sign with the Breakers, following Canada’s Christine Latham, whose signing was announced on Jan. 9.

“Alex is a great addition to our squad,” said Breakers President and General Manager Joe Cummings. “She is a young defender who already has a wealth of international experience and can help build our attack from the right back position.”

C'Mon Kelly...

:D

17. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little bird told me that is coming soon.

18. HajdukAlpaca

HajdukAlpaca New Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Western Mass
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I see today on Breakers Twitter feed that Nancy Augustiniak has move to Boston. I guess season is close! Does anybody know if the rest of team has arrive?

It was here http://twitter.com/bostonbreakers

19. OLDRNGR

OLDRNGR New Member

May 15, 2008
    All I know is that the newly drafted players have been told not to report until the last week of February. The team's travel agency is arranging their itineraries. They're also trying to arrange lodging for them through the pre-season camp and final roster decision. The "veterans" are probably arriving on their own schedule.

20. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I sure hope Schmedes sticks. She is a very exciting player.

21. samantha carhill

samantha carhill New Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Goteborg
    It will be great to see if Kelly SMith joins her friend at Boston..one player can make the difference and we can see that with Los angeles and marta

22. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boston Breakers Sign Brazilian Fabiana and Canadian Candace Chapman

The Boston Breakers completed their international signings with the announcement of Brazilian National Team forward Fabiana and Canadian National Team defender Candace Chapman to multi-year contracts this afternoon. Terms of the deals were not disclosed per team policy.

The two players join England National Team players Kelly Smith and Alex Scott, as well as Canada’s Christine Latham as Boston’s league-maximum five international players.

:D

23. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy Wednesday to you too!! :D:D

24. pressurecooker

Feb 22, 2009
    Boston
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know how much longer Fabiana is expected to be sidelined with her ACL injury? It would be nice to have her back before Kelly and Alex need to leave for the English friendly around Apr. 25th.

25. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will Lilly be ready for the season? :D

[​IMG]