Post-match: Bosnia-Herzegovina

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by thedukeofsoccer, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's fine being a sucker. You can sleep well at night.

2. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loser mentality right there. One more reason why the MNT is in its current situation.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Life is not always about winning, my friend.

Sometimes, when they strike you down, you become something much more powerful than they can ever imagine.

TOAzer, Sactown Soccer and CeltTexan repped this.
  4. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, whatever you say...

5. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actual starting lineup from next game:

Guzan
    Yedlin Brooks Besler Villafana
    Bradley Bedoya Arriola Pulisic
    Altidore Sapong

Quote from Dave Sarachan prior to the match: "I mean, the lineup writes itself. We mixed in a few young guys like Yedlin and Arriola with some more experienced guys who give us a chance to compete. Sapong is someone who we're very high on to partner with Jozy in the next cycle. "

6. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may be listing this lineup in a facetious way...but Holden mentioned during the game something about Bradley still being in the picture. My guess is you are not far off with this horrible lineup unless we get a new coach who is willing to take chances and has the guts to "gut" the old lineup and bring in some of our more notable young players as well as others along the way.

TOAzer repped this.
  7. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not expect much outta this years Winter Camp.
    The match only confirmed it.

Still, VAMO' U.S.A.!!!

8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Keeping USA out of the WC would only mean Australia goes instead of USA ('18) and FIFA has an argument for increasing Asia's participation at the expense of concacaf.

In '14, we made it to round of 16 and took a top 8 team to ET. Mexico came close to going to quarterfinals if I remember correctly and CR actually did go to quarterfinals. Honduras was last place in the tournament and a horror show so it may have been just as well that Australia beat them in the playoff this year.

"Honesty is the best policy."

9. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Bradley is a better player right now that the starters in this game. There may be others in the major leagues as well but I don't think there's much question about this group vs. MB.

largegarlic repped this.
  10. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was being completely facetious, but how could Holden know anything about what a completely unknown manager is thinking in regards to Bradley's role with the team?

I was assuming Sarachan would still be the caretaker manager. Heck he's managed two draws with European powerhouses.:whistling:

11. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holden; the guy who thinks it's great to give caps to guys who will be 33-34 at the next WC because 'they had a good season in the MLS' and he says it with a straight face. His opinions are counter to USMNT progress as are many apologist media hacks.

jjmack and Patrick167 repped this.
  12. sregis2

sregis2 Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    my guess is, he's saying something closer to we shouldn't eliminate out of hand someone who will be 33-34.

13. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The emperor is down to his last thread. Jack Warner may have had it right after the T&T fiasco:

"They will continue to undermine [the World Cup in] Qatar for 2022, but they will not succeed. As far as I am concerned this is the beginning of the end for U.S. football," Warner said. "Nobody in CONCACAF likes the U.S."

Remember the scene in the film "V for Vendetta" when everyone started ignoring the televised speeches of the great leader. That's where we are with the USMNT program.

Don't worry. Be happy. Who cares about the WC? We'll host a losers' tourney instead.

TOAzer repped this.
  14. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Solid construction on that strawman, bud.

15. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If so, I would agree based solely on age. CB's and goalies can certainly be that age and still contribute. The particular comment that got me out of my chair (seeing as the game sure didn't) was about Morrow. No way he's LB or wing for the next cycle or it's backwards from here.

16. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Particularly those we sent to prison. See you soon Jack!

17. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    For individual players 33-34, or even older, isn't automatically bad. You just don't want to build a whole team around players of that age. I mean, half of the last Arena camp was over 30.

18. 21st Century Pele

Apr 16, 2014
    I wouldn't use Arena's last camp as an example of what successful teams do.

laxcoach repped this.
  19. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most important takeaway is we have servicable goalkeepers and elder statesman who will be a security measure to help bridge the gap. Im happy Opara, Zimmerman, and Parker have those roles. If even one latches on with the program, even better. We have the building block of our restart.

20. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The older players were the main part of a divisive lockerroom.

Morrow isn't good enough regardless of age.

laxcoach repped this.
  21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup, would have liked to have seen Lima line up over there for a protracted period of time. I think its morrows until someone like Lima takes it from him.I was kinda hoping he would do it this camp but that didnt happen.

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What re-start would that be. We have a friendly with France in the summer and will logically be using the Euro team. We have nothing on tap for Opara and Morrow and Sapong stateside that I know of.

The hedyday of the striker is in the age 26-30 bracket. Jozy has recently developed the complete game with his passing, hold up, misdirection, etc. Dempsey age 26-30 was 2010-2014 when he set his sights on the scoring record. Look at PE Aubameyang - 16 goals as a 24 year old at Dortmnud first year, 25 goals as a 25 yr old, 25 goals as a 26 yr old and 31 as a 27 yr old.

The guy who is 26 right now is Ramirez who didn't get a minute against Bosnia. People say "gee, this must have just been a one time thing with all those goals last year" - um, no...again, it is typical to see a striker getting in the zone at age 26. Why would we not want to ride that horse? What is it about the USMNT that they are desperate to go against progress at every opportunity?" smh.

Patrick167 repped this.
  23. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you one of those "it's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game" people? If so, that's a dangerously naive mindset to have.

24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'd say your mindset is the naïve one. Don't get into an argument with me; you will lose.