Boro fans stabbed in Rome.

Discussion in 'Middlesbrough' started by TheOrator, Mar 15, 2006.

1. TheOrator

TheOrator New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    Virginia
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/tees/4808246.stm

2. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    I really hope we win this now.

UEFA and Italy should start taking action - but from my own personal experiences;

The Italian police make Inspector Clouseau look competent and UEFA have their tounge so far up Italy's arse its untrue.

They won't ban them and Italians will pass this off as 'boys will be boys - it was the English people's fault etc etc.'

Mind you, it says alot for the mentality of our fans. Even during the worse hooligan era in England - I can't remember our fans attacking complete neutrals in an area where there are kids and old people. Using tear gas and flares.

I hope these people slowly die in a fire.

I really hate to say this - but it will take someone dying in a stadium in Italy, before UEFA impose a Heyselesque ban on their arses. And quite frankly I won't shed a tear to rid these tools of going to a game.

Italy is proving to be one backward fucking country.

3. TheOrator

TheOrator New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    Virginia
    Hmmm how did that get past the censors. :cool:

4. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    I'm a mod - I'm above the fucking law. :cool:

5. TheOrator

TheOrator New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    Virginia
    Oh I know you are, with you closing threads and banning people from forums with impunity we know you're above the law.

6. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Dude, what planet are you living on? I know we aren't talking about the same Italy.

Oh wait, maybe it's FIFA I'm thinking of...

Agree with the first part, not so much the second part.

Ehm...FWIW, and I don't want to open a can of worms, there were "kids" at Heysel...

Me too.

You're probably right. Not sure a "Heyselesque ban" is necessary, but something must be done.

Interesting. This comment contrasts somewhat with your tone in the Italy forum:

PS: Good luck in the rest of the cup.

7. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Its getting ugly for Italy now - even more so because football is coming more into the people's homes. Back in the 70's and 80's football was no where near as global as it is now.

They are airing their dirty laundry in public and quite frankly it must be embarrasing. Both to them and UEFA.

It was quite funny seeing some of the ultras try and get to the Boro fans during the game - to be stopped by mass wall of policemen.

I'm being over ze top. But let's be honest Italian police wading into the Boro fans only when they tried to actually fight off the attacks was pretty lame. Looked as if they viewed us as the prime aggressor.

I wouldn't dare compare the two - given the circumstances and era.

Me too. Oh wait.

Except they don't do anything. Didn't they supposedly put heavy restrictions after the Rome derby farce? A lot of good that did.

If action from outside Italy needs to be taken - then so be it. They should really start asking for the advice from the English.

Russian people - fantastic.
    Russia as a country - backward

Same goes for Italy.

Just because one likes the people doesn't always mean one likes the country too. It appears to me that that the whole country is being brought down by a few wreckless wankers soiling the name of its great people. As an English football fan in the 80's you were classed as a hooligan. If things carry on - Italy will be going down the same route.

The whole ethos as a foreigner does seem backward. But what country isn't?

I can hardly say any town centre in England is safe. But I don't think I will be tear-gased and stabbed by a masked mob. :eek:

I think Italians are great, but the way their country does things seems so wrong to me.

We'll need it.

We're all going on a Eindhoven trip lalalalalalalala.

8. boro boy

boro boy New Member

Oct 27, 2005
    Republic of Teeside
    i spoke with a work colleague who was ex old bill. He had been on exchange work with italian and spanish police in the nineties and he said they were maybe 10 to 15 years behind our plod. The classic italian away game agaisnt english teams from what i have read is 1. italian fans throw objects 2. police stand and watch 3. english fans respond and throw them back 4. police wade in with batons and shields at the english. I can hear the huey choppers now wirring above central boro as in apcopalypse now being boarded by the frontline with pigbag blasting out of the speakers:)

9. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    That would be so awesome. lol

10. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yup, it is. Especially since the majority of people are very tired of it, but I'm beating a dead horse by saying that authorities don't do nearly enough about it.

Again, this is one of those things that I really want to hear from someone who was there. Not necessarily questioning what Italian police did, but it's far too easy in these cases to throw conflicting stories around and then no one knows what really happened. I would like to know how the Roma fans were handled as well. In what must have been a very confusing and chaotic situation to say the least, it's easy to lose sight of these things, and understandably so.

Fair enough. I just thought that your original comment was unnecessary and pointless, at best. "Our hooligans aren't as bad as yours, really!" Hmmm....

That's the problem. The restrictions are all wishy-washy and don't have any lasting impact.

See, I don't like this logic. Sure, there are plenty of things in Italy that are ********ed up, but the same could be said for the UK. Maybe not the same ********ed up things, but considering that both are civilized, western, EU nations blah blah blah, I fail to see how one of the two could consider itself that much better than the other. I see a lot of things in England that I don't like, but that's life.

By virtue of the fact that we are having this discussion, I think we already have...

Again, there are things the UK does which seem wrong to me...so be that as it may.

Hell, I recently read how German and British authorities were discussing security for the upcoming WC, concerned with the high number of English fans who will travel to Germany without tickets and the potential that many of them will cause unrest. You don't necessarily see German police worried about visiting Italian fans, at least in a WC setting...

That's funny, isn't it?

England - no domestic hooliganism, but still present when associated with the NT.

Italy - tons of domestic hooliganism, virtually none with the NT.

Funny world we live in.

11. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    That's the crux.

But the English national team play far less games than a domestic Serie A side. ;)

England is curbing its problems during England matches - but from what is was - it is much much better.