News: Borkowski article on LePeilbet

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kolabear, Jul 4, 2011.

1. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shek Borkowski has an article on Fox Soccer Channel online. He deflects much of the criticism of Amy LePeilbet saying that Coach Sundhage's system is largely responsible for her struggles.

Not only does using Cheney on that side leave her more exposed but the way she appears to be having Cheney make inside runs almost like a third striker adds tothe problem. He also comments on the lack of passing options that the system gives her.

Excerpt:

2. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The system doesn't cause her to be too slow to play fullback.

System or no system, so far she looks like a weak point.

3. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    indeed. but cox is slower than she is.

4. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, if she is as weak as many here think, well, then, she needs some help, which she only got in the 2nd half of the North Korea game.

5. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps, but that could inhibit the left mid from attacking as often. I don't know why we would inhibit a player to help an underperforming player instead of just replacing the underperformer.

And all the excuses that Cox is slow isn't really that big a factor considering LePeilbet isn't exactly a speed demon either.

Let's put Sauerbrunn there :D

6. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You know, soccer is a game of numbers. Other teams are going to try to overload a channel to gain a numerical advantage, sending both their RBs and wide midfielders against our left side. Now, I don't watch the Women's team very often, so I don't know if there is a better option than LePeilbet or not, but I know that your average LB is going to be exposed if s/he doesn't get any help. Kreiger's getting the help on the right side and everyone is raving about her....

7. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I really don't think coxx is any slower than amy l - and amy hasn't been able to stop players 1v1 on the wing, as they can take a step right or left of her and dribble past her. I'm not sure why pia thinks playing central defense and wing defense is one and the same. I think coxx is better at positioning and is much better at distribution. her first touch against columbia was an assist.
    with that said, i think becky is a better defender than both and a better distributor than amy.
    rampone and kriegs have been SOLID. impressed the Rampone has covered for buehler numerous times in each game. She really is a much better defender than buehler and at this level, with this speed of play, recovery speed is golden. I will say buehler does step up and defends high very well..but can' t recover. the left side is too slow for my liking.

oh...ANDDDDDD! i'm excited to see the young gun forwards/mids play together. i think something special could happen if lloyd and boxx are not frantic running around like chickens and distribute the ball well.

USA! USA! i'm so fing patriotic right now i'm shitting stars.

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Careful, those points can hurt...

;)

9. gibroni

gibroni BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 2, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    How about Mitts? She's a veteran and her experience would be welcome in the next 2 matches. We're looking at a USA v. Sweden matchup in the final.

10. CTRef

CTRef Member

Jun 2, 2006

Don't even think that!

11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the bigger issue is that, in fairness to Amy, she's a CB being asked to play LB. She's doing the best she can, but she's in a difficult position, and pace is always going to be an issue.

The article is correct in that Cheney gives her less help than Rapinoe would. But I still think she'd struggle because of the CB/LB issue.

Moving Rampone to the LCB spot really helped vs Brazil. As did the defense first approach.

12. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without a doubt, she was 100% better today.

13. pokey55

pokey55 Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Interestingly I read a quote from Pia today (although at this point I can't remember where) that said "she's taking one for the team" referring to the fact that LP is a CB playing LB. So it seems like Pia knows the weaknesses are there, realizes it's not LP's strong suit, but truly feels she's the best option available. It's a curious decision from a coaching perspective but at this point LP is going to play and start. I'd like to see Rampone playing next to her as that really helped.