Boots you wish they still made

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by Dr. Boots, Nov 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Anyone out ther have a favorite pair of soccer shoes that either got discontinued or "updated" and became a crappy boot?

My list goes like this:

Outdoor:
    1) The Diadora Brasil- the ones that were out in the mid 90-2002 the look of the boot changed a little bit when they went from a copa style tounge to the large foldover but the boots fit was the best I have ever worn and now its just not the same, since they rehauled the model.

2) Nike Air Zoom Rio/International series series- Great wider fitting K-leather nike boot offered in every outsole option you needed and had a central lacing system which works better on a K leather boot in my view on par with the old Brasils.

3)Fila Claudio Renya- The first and second model were great boots and they turned to crap after that.

Indoor:
    1) Nike Rayo- The best indoor boot I ever wore, low profile, soft K leather/performance mesh, minimalsistic style, and super light, why they stopped making it I will never know but I would sell my soul to find a pair these days.

2) Mizuno Profesional Model-Super soft great boot, Mizuno canned tehm when they stopped selling soccer stuff in the USA.

2. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    adidas Predator Accelerator : more for sentimental reasons, my first expensive boot. Fit great, felt awesome.

3. chocochuro

chocochuro New Member

Nov 9, 2003
    quito
    adidas profi liga.

becks, you are an *#*#*#*#*#*#*#

4. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    they still make the profi liga

and what is "*#*#*#*#*#*#*#" probably something derogatory...PM it whatever you have to say to me

5. ADIKeeper

ADIKeeper New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Adidas Predator Precision Champions Leauge FG. Still one of the nicest boots I've seen, IMO.

6. Keep87

Keep87 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    North Carolina
    w

I loved the Total 90's,...even they were WAY too wide for me. :(

7. ViNo GiNo

ViNo GiNo New Member

Jun 13, 2002
    Australia
    Lotto Extremes.

Bit of an oldy but still one of my faves as theyve lasted me 3 years with minimal care. 250grams never caused me any blisters and no break in time either.

Adidas Accelerators

although the weight and heel on these caused me grief ive yet to find a boot with the same quality of studs (FG model). excellent grip for ball rolls and no stud pressure at all.

Diadora Matchwinners

Baggio's boots used during Usa 94. lightweight with excellent comfort and pretty innovative features like the lace loop on the side and wetsuit material tongue area.

8. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I forgot to put the Matchwinners in my list but I liked the Matchwinner 2's better than the first model(they were nice though too) that were made kind a like the Brasils, I had those my Jr. year in Highschool and they were awesome, Diadora replaced them with the Mars which was a total crap boot.

9. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Adidas Gerd Mueller's. Circa 1979.

Did I just date myself?

juveeer repped this.
  10. GR8ftblr

GR8ftblr Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Depends
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diadora Supergoal Marco Van Basten Signature ed. soft ground.

11. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    im going to get new boots for my next season, anyone know what are currently the best ones, in terms of price, comfort, fit, etc?

any help appreciated. thanks,

12. Keep87

Keep87 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    North Carolina
    Boots

If I've said it once I've said it 1000 times... Boots are personal things. A boot someone here likes may be horrible for you, and visa versa. Go to a store and try out as many pairs as you can...

13. zathras704

zathras704 New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    charlotte, NC
    Adidas accelerator liga and profi liga (the hardground, not soft ground).

14. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    the profi wasa great boot and you cant get it her in the US anymore but in europe its still sold, BTW if you just want the exact same fit you can just get the german copa, not as stylish of course but its the same boot other than the tounge and a few other cosmetic things.

15. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    In the mid to late 1980s, the running shoe company Saucony made a hard ground shoe that was just amazing. It was probably just between a molded cleat and a turf shoe, with a series of smaller ridges and nubs on the bottom.

You could play on harder fields all day with those things and your feet felt great.

juveeer repped this.
  16. dmain

dmain Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Patrick Stabil -from the mid 80's more for sentiment than anything nice cross over shoe for turf, HG or indoor. In High school we had a sand field and this shoe was awesome for this ahem "surface".

17. LotharDSM

LotharDSM New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Des Moines, IA
    I'm old...

Damn, I was expecting some real answers with actual old boots!

Patrick (Keegan's?) were the best and I loved them for, uh, MANY years before they were discontinued (at least in my area, which was Virginia at the time). All black with the two gray/silver stripes.

18. Chizou6

Chizou6 New Member

Nov 2, 2003
    Richmond, VA USA
    I would have to agree. I miss the Adidas Predator Accelerator. I lived in those cleats, and I wore them until they died. My Predator manias are the next best thing.

19. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bilotti. I think the whole company must have gone under, havn't seen them anywhere in years.

20. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer New Member

Jan 13, 2004
    Quaser Lineker Gold -and pretty much everything from the Quaser range. Great fitting boots, looked cool, and sadly now not around after going under.
    Also, Patrick Platini astro shoes, and anyone remember Adidas All Black's ? -What an amazing fold-over tongue!

21. anticheese

anticheese Member

Jan 24, 2003

I completely agree with the Adidas Gerd Mueller's. Adidas re-issued them a few years back and they need to re-issue them again.

juveeer repped this.
  22. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    Miss new balance soccer boots because they came in widths.

Also missed the high tops because I had weak ankles.

Incidently, why so many thread on boots? The player part is getting very boring to visit because of it.

Richie

23. óleóle12

óleóle12 New Member

Dec 28, 2003
    Midwest
    Adidas Predator Champions League- I loved the little cl ball logo on the back

XAI- the first ones- they seemed to add more power to shots :[]

24. penubly

penubly Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    My first pair of expensive shoes - Adidas Ceramic Top - came out in the late 80's. Mine were stolen at a tournament, and I was never the same after!!

Profi's are my current boot.

Love to get another pair of Gerd Muller, if they re-issue.

25. Courey

Courey Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Coffeyville, Kansas
    The Mueller shoes were killer. Playing in the late 80's and early 90's, my friends and I would try to find "old" gum bottom shoes that were made from a solid piece like the Mueller's. Adidas made a similar shoe that had the NASL logo on the back heel. All gum bottom. Great shoe for hard ground.

Indoor shoes = someone mentioned the patrick Keegan King's. Every kid on my club team wanted a pair of those boots.