Books I've read

Discussion in 'nicodemus Guestbook' started by nicodemus, Jan 10, 2003.

1. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

More than anything else you just get frustrated at people buying bad music and books. I mean there are only so many times you can smile and nod while hearing some fur coat talk about Phil Collins. But yeah as long as they had more than one copy of the book you could check it out, like a library. Definately a nice perk.

2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Lewis, C.S. – The Abolition of Man
    Lewis, C.S. - The Four Loves
    Lewis, C.S. – Mere Christianity
    Lewis, C.S. – The Screwtape Letters

What did you think of these books. I liked them all actually except for Mere Chrsitianity. For some reason that just didn't cut it for me. I did love his book "The Great Divorce" though. You may here VOL mention it in "Parting Shot"..."When the great divorce happens hide me in your song....though I don't deserve it and I don't belong....."

3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry it took me so long to respond to this.

I'd really like to re-read these. I read these at a time when my outlook on things was pretty different than it is now. Of all of them, I remember the four loves most fondly along with the Screwtape Letters. I read Four Loves most recently and that was probably 5-6 years ago.

I need to add the Fela book to the "read" list since I've finished it. Did you ever find it at a library in Indy?

4. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Unfortunatley, I'm not a quick reader, but I'm almost done with Hornby's Fever Pitch. I must say I've enjoyed what I read so far.

5. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    welcome to my book forum Bethany. I haven't read Fever Pitch yet, but I saw the movie based on it.

6. carolinab

carolinab Member+

Aug 21, 2000
    D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Bermuda
    Fever Pitch and High Fidelity are two of my favourite Hornby books.

I used to work at Borders, too and yeah, they said I spent more on books and music then most people that worked there!

7. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WHOA! Teach me to read twice! I thought you wrote that Fever Pitch and High Fidelity were two of your favorite Horny books! AY!

I just finished Fever Pitch. Definatley a great read. I'm giving my copy to the girl across the hall who's an Arsenal fan.

8. mackem_ftm

mackem_ftm New Member

Jun 8, 2002
    York
    Fever Pitch is great. There are so many moments in it which made me think 'that is so true'. Interestingly, my friend (steel mackem on here) Tom's dad knew Nick Hornby at university. Hmm.

9. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm about 20 pages away from finishing Graham Greene's The Power & the Glory. It has been an awesome read so far, can't wait to see how it finishes.

In Graham Greene related news, I can't wait to go see the film version of The Quiet American, the book I read in college that got me into Greene's writing.

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just added a few more books to the list that I've recently finished and/or remembered that I've read:

Henry Rollins Smile, You're Traveling
    Jim Goad The Redneck Manifesto
    David Horowitz Hating Whitey & Other Progressive Causes

The Rollins book was a real scream. Goad's book is full of venom and hatred towards just about everything and Horowitz's book is about his journey from being a former liberal turned conservative...what a whiner!

11. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finished Are You Dave Gorman? this morning. How can't you love a book with a cover like this?

[​IMG]

one of those instances where you can truly judge a book by its cover.

12. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just finished The Byzantine Saint edited by Sergei Hackel. A collection of papers presented at the University of Birmingham (England) about hagiography.

13. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

Do you still have it or did you give it back to me? I need to finish/re-start it.

14. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still have it. I will trade it to you for that big box of CDs I left at your house :D

15. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Shopgirl by Steve Martin

It was a good read. Short, sweet, and a tad bizarre. But it tried way too hard.

16. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that comedian Steve Martin?

17. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Hard to believe, but yes.

18. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a friend told me he's written some humor books, is the one you read fiction?

19. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Yeah, and definitely not comedy.

20. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't been reading much lately. I plan on correcting that upon my return from Houston.

21. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm reading this right now. I've got maybe 100 pages left and it has been top rate stuff. Phaidon Press puts out some of the best books in the world. I have to give the English credit. They love books and publish good ones.

[​IMG]

22. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just realized the type is so blurry on that image that you can't really read it.

The book is called A Polish Renaissance. Author: Bernard Jacobsen. The book is about the revitalization of Polish classical music in the 20th century with the likes of Lutoslawski, Penderecki, Gorecki, Patufnik, etc.

23. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just recently finished Mishima: A Biography by John Nathan (who translated his The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With the Sea.)

Man, Mishima was one disturbed puppy.

24. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've updated my list a little bit, eventhough I keep forgetting to add some. There's so many books I've read in the last month or two that aren't on that list. I will have to recatalogue.

25. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got so much junk I need to add to the list. Will probably do it in the next few days.