Booking.com shamefully endorse scams

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by joecolesy, Jan 28, 2018.

1. joecolesy

joecolesy New Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My experience with 3 separate booking using Booking.com is disgraceful.
    I made 3 bookings in December in Moscow, Kazan and Niznhy.
    1) I booked a decent hostel for 4 nights for £50.
    I received a strange email via Booking.com last week stating the Hostel is “not functioning any more “ and that my booking was cancelled.
    The same hostel and rooms is now re-advertising at SIX times the prices advertised in December. Upon complaining to booking..com I was told they do not have control over hotels readvertising their rooms.
    2) I booked a 3* hotel in Nizhny for £234 (expensive even back in December). My credit card was declined so I registered with another one. The hotel immediately on the same day of the booking charged me twice (£234 on each card). Booking.com refuse to intervene to recover one of the payments.
    3) I booked a hostel for 3 nights in Kazan (supposedly not requiring upfront payment).
    I receive an email from the hostel asking for 50% within 3 days which I ignore as the booking clearly says “refundable/cancellable” (no payment due) until some time in March.
    The booking still appears under my Bookings on Booking.com but the hostel has emailed me to say it is cancelled. Booking.com state they are not responsible for removing bookings which have been cancelled.

In total a disgrace and shameful.

tudobem62014 and wixson7 repped this.
  2. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Your #1 is what happened to me with an apartment reservation in Moscow. 2 weeks later they re-listed the apartment with a different name at 10x the cost. I wouldn't have known except that I clicked on my cancelled reservation and lo-and behold there it was at $1000.00+ per night. Booking made it seem like I canceled on the email.

tudobem62014 and joecolesy repped this.
  3. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Your No. 2 happened to me but they thankfully immediately cancelled one of the two payments. It is so ironical that one of the reasons they wanted the tournament was to make Russia look warm and welcoming and already so many people are pissed off with it 6 months before it starts.

4. Simon Overall

Simon Overall Member

Sydney FC
    Australia
    May 7, 2014
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Biggest gripe I have with Booking.com is their lack of customer service. If shit hits the fan good luck getting in touch with them or get a positive result from them.

When things go fine, its great, but they're just not there if you need them.

5. Nick Kharchenko

FC Baltika, Kaliningrad, Russia
    Russia
    Oct 20, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    And now just imagine when there are no such sites as Booking etc. And you ended with tons of hotels without websites, English descriptions, user reviews, valid photos, maps with directions, support lines, etc.

Booking.com is not the main problem. But Hotels and Owners are...

MattC and BuddhaWake repped this.
  6. MattC

MattC Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think its important to remember this. Even if Booking.com BANNED the hotels participating in these dirty tricks, they'd still be able to get away with it by using other websites.

7. Simon Overall

Simon Overall Member

Sydney FC
    Australia
    May 7, 2014
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Don't disagree, but the problem is also getting any issues resolved with Booking.com

They don't readily publish a number, you can't seem to get help from any feasible method either.

8. Nick Kharchenko

Russia
    Oct 20, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    upload_2018-1-31_13-35-36.png

What number?

I've posted a complain recently and got called back within 30 min from Amsterdam Office

9. Simon Overall

Simon Overall Member

Sydney FC
    Australia
    May 7, 2014
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Are you a genius member on Booking.com?

10. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    If this helps anyone (not sure if you have to be a Genius to use it (their 'frequent' booker discount scheme, not your IQ level)):

International Genius service number:
    +44 20 3684 7925

11. Nick Kharchenko

Russia
    Oct 20, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Yes... for some reason... anyway, I see those phone numbers even when I'm logged out in the incognito mode

Note Other regions and countries link too

https://secure.booking.com/content/cs.en-us.html

12. joecolesy

joecolesy New Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The issue is not about Booking.com customer service.
    In my experience they are very responsive by email and you can get through to them on the telephone quite easily. However, every response to the same complaint is processed by a different person (who has to read the history of the complaint) and then they just quote standard “company policies and terms and conditions” (which are totally against any form of ethical trading and professional service.
    They blatantly condone Hotels cancelling on you and re-advertising at 10x the price even when I presented a ludicrous email from the Moscow hostel that quoted me this;

On 2018-01-17, Hostel on Lyublinskaya wrote
    “Hello,Jose Coll . You have made a booking in our hostel. Sorry, but in the period of the building our hostel is in reconstruction, the hostel will not work. It's not our decision, the order of the municipality. Please choose another hostel . Best regards.”