Book Draft

Discussion in 'Books' started by Norsk Troll, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    I think the problem is that "books" is just too big a category to have a draft. You don't really need to worry about anybody stepping on your toes, as there just too much stuff to draw from. In retrospect, "20th Century Ameican Novels" would have been a good draft to start with, or the like.

In any case, my pick (is this the 11th?)

[​IMG]

2. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I think this would be a great idea for those who wanted to continue the draft to 50 rounds. Go ahead and start one that is slightly more specific. Q

3. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Family crisis. I had logged on, saw that G-boot had picked, was submitting my choice and we got some bad news. Didn't get to work today until 2:00 Eastern. I'll make both picks when the 12th round comes around...

4. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Hope everything will be OK.

5. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Update - just from this round alone (and I don't know how many prior round picks are still pending):Val1, irvine and bigredfutbol missed their clocks.

Iceblink currently has until 1:37 pm this afternoon, then

14) metabelian
    15) Michael K.
    16) YankHibee
    17) minorthreat
    18) Ombak

If anyone else misses their picks, I'm calling a technical knockout on this draft at the conclusion of Round 11. (I knew I should have stopped it at 10!!!)

6. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thank you, it is.

Since we are pick shy, I'll go ahead and pick now. If you are of a certain advancing age, then you'll remember that one of the all-time great early childhood books is Where the Wild Things Are. Just a fabulous book. But, if you go to any daycare, or even up to kindergarten, and ask kids what there first favorite book (or ask them which one book you'd read to them) they'll most likely ask for The Very Hungry Caterpiller by Eric Carle. This is now the most read toddler's book in America.

7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I'd posted this yesterday, but I was having trouble with the computer I was using and apparantly it didn't go through. I apologize for not following up on it.

[​IMG]

I can't believe that we've made it this far and nobody's picked The Scarlet Letter by Hawthorne. I guess it really is the book everybody has to read but nobody really likes. It's not one of my favorite books, but it's hard to imagine American literature without it.

8. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Here's a pick, for those of you without children:

[​IMG]

So that catches us up a bit. Now only Irvine is missing from this round, though Iceblink's time expires in about 40 minutes.

9. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm here; I'm here!

Hold on a sec. I don't know how it got to be my pick... and nobody told me until 3.5 hrs. before my pick was supposed to expire.

Picking now!

10. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok... here I am after barely being notified!!!

For my next pick, I take a timeless classic... one that was (and still is) exciting for kids and adults alike.

When I was a kid, I used to love following maps to find things... I mean... who wouldn't want to follow this map?

[​IMG]

I choose....

[​IMG]

Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island, which I think is a steal this round.

11. metabelian

metabelian New Member

May 14, 2005
    san diego
    For my eleventh pick I'll choose my favorite Nabokov, slightly beating out Lolita and *** **** **** ** ********* ****** :D . Nabokov's "gift" to Russian literature:

[​IMG]

12. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    BigRedFutbol's clock expired at 1:37 am this morning, so your clock started then and continued until 1:37 pm today
    Don't wait for PMs - because if the person ahead of you doesn't show, he's also not going to be around to PM you.

As it stands, I was wondering if Treasure Island was somehow going to fall out of the draft completely. Good save.

Michael K. is on the clock, but his PM box is full and he doesn't accept emails.

13. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my fault--sorry about that. I really held the draft up this round.

14. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the late innings, I have to go to my offspeed stuff. So, why not some mystical poetry?

[​IMG]

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

"A book, a woman, and a flask of wine:
    The three make heaven for me; it may be thine
    Is some sour place of singing cold and bare—
    But then, I never said thy heaven was mine."

I haven't read this particular volume, which collects three different translations (my experience is with the Robert Graves translation), but upon running across it, I think I'd like to pick it up.

"Oppose all resurrections of your past,
    Resent no anguish still prepared for you,
    Dwell lightly on your entrance and your exit-
    Drink, never cast your essence to the winds."

15. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Surprised that this didn't go sooner.

16. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    According to my board (which I will post shortly - thanks for reminding me Norsk Troll) YankHibee and irvine have two pending picks each (rounds 10 and 11) and minorthreat has five (round 7 on).

Is this correct or did I miss anything?

I will post my pick and attach an up-to-date draft board shortly.

17. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I think I should have only one pick that is currently pending, at it will be here soon.

18. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What was your tenth round pick? I was including the 11th round one as pending since usually we skip drafters who have pending picks. But you are up before me so I'm happy to wait since you're here.

19. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    My last two picks were the Ulster Cycle and The Red Badge of Courage (which apparently I was too lazy to put up a cover for).

20. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ah, my bad, I missed it then and it's my fault.

21. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    No problem. Anyway, here is my 11th round

[​IMG]

22. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    If any one has problems with my pick re fiction, I'll pick something else. I figured so many drugs sorta prevented it from being nonfiction.

23. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    My 11th pick:
    [​IMG]
    Stranger in a Strange Land, Robert Heinlein

And attached, an excel file up to date to this point (zipped since bigsoccer doesn't allow for xls files).

24. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we had been decided on 20 rounds, I was going to pick this up at around 15. Glad it went earlier.

25. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Alright, you guys sort of made up the speed yesterday, so we'll go ahead and do one final 12th round. Give me a minute to think about it.