Bolton Wanderers to come to Toronto on July 21 (R)

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by Mikey mouse, May 6, 2010.

1. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Charleston Battery are playing a friendly on July 17th against

the article then goes on to say the team will play Charlotte and Toronto FC as well.

Battery to announce EPL team next week

I've heard a solid rumor as to who it is. I'll keep them to myself for now but it shouldnt be too hard to figure out!

2. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: Toronto/EPL friendly in July?

Mikey mouse: Thanks for keeping us updated on stuff like this; Lord knows the TFC front office doesn't.

3. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Nice!

If the player pool at ussoccer.com is to be believed, then it would likely narrow the options down to either Aston Villa, Bolton, Everton or Fulham.

You could possibly throw West Ham United in that mix as well.

4. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

The article said "middle of the table EPL club", not "barely able to avoid relegation EPL club" :p

Villa and Hammers have been here already, so I'd expect it wouldn't be one of them.

5. FutebolDeResultado

Feb 8, 2008

liverpool then?

6. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
  7. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  8. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  9. TheChoker

TheChoker Member

May 6, 2007
    Toronto
    Re: Bolton Wanderers to come to Toronto on July 21

Looks like a chance to finally win the coveted carlsberg cup

10. torontofcmark

torontofcmark Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

wow, what a surprise..yet another English side. Does the front office realize that Toronto is made up of a culturally diverse cross section of nationalities other than WASPs. Ya we had a portuguese team and a couple of latin teams...but mostly always a English team. What about approaching an Italian team or Spanish side, or German. All good leagues in Europe...and probably better mid table teams than Bolton.

Jesus, from day 1 on its been a big olde cater fest to English soccer fans...from supporter groups, to chants, to songs, to player personnel to coaches.....even to the food (which ive said before...what genius decided that a chip butty or scotch egg would be a better menu choice than italian food...braniac)

11. torontofcmark

torontofcmark Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

why is it coveted?

12. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Ya, even John Molinaro tweeted about that.

13. DrunkenGoon

DrunkenGoon New Member

Jun 9, 2006

I feel fortunate to pay $240 for 2 last row seats to see Bolton without any of their internationals as the marquee game of my 6pack... What a screw job!

chances are Elmander is at Bordeaux and Klasnic back with Nantes by the time the game rolls around, who are they gonna push down our throats as the big name players coming in? Cohen, Davies and Jaaskallainen? LMAO

14. TheChoker

TheChoker Member

May 6, 2007
    Toronto

OK, admittedly this isn't a complete list but I know for sure we've played the following in friendlies:

Aston Villa
    Real Madrid
    Pachucha
    Independente
    River Plate
    Benfica

I don't understand the "yet another English side.../...but mostly always a English team" statement...the list seems pretty diverse to me.

Bolton...I can take it or leave it. I'll probably just give the tickets to a workmate anyways, but the list above are the type of teams that I would expect as a "bonus" ticket in a season ticket package.

15. TheChoker

TheChoker Member

May 6, 2007
    Toronto

scarcasm

16. HAthemm17

HAthemm17 Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Kingston, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

No, we're dead serious.

17. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Really! We are! Even the Trillium Cup is huge! :D

OK, sarcasm aside, this Carlsberg Cup thing is kinda ridiculous, really. If it were a series between the two clubs, maybe then it might have some meaning.

18. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Can't wait to see the mid-field antics of Muvamba and elbows of Kevin Davies :D

19. torontofcmark

torontofcmark Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

how many signings came from England in the first few years...coaching staff...playing tactics...
    even the obvious look a like to liverpool, with Carlsburg sponsors, nicknamed the Reds, supporter groups that are for the most part english and how the team caters to them Dont get me wrong..I love the passion of those guys and im glad they are part of the makeup of the team and getting the fans worked up.
    as a Canadian with Italian descent i would like to see something from Italy...a friendly..maybe an italian on the team (Dichio counts as english lol). As probably the people of German descent or spanish descent would want a bone thrown their way. Ya they got Real Madrid...but that wasnt even included as was a major premium to go and watch...thats a money grab to get a huge team here..not to cater to people that follow what maybe is the best league in the world right now (La Liga)

thats all...give us a different bone to chew once in a while.

20. torontofcmark

torontofcmark Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

ah, missed it..lol

21. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Yes, TFCMark, but your original statement was 'yet another English club'. Funny how you conveniently changed your argument once you were proven wrong.

22. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto

By my recollection this will be our 7th friendly, and only our 2nd English team. Has my memory failed, or do you have a different definition of "most" than the rest of us?

23. hammersandTFC

hammersandTFC New Member

May 19, 2008
    brantf
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

It's not as simple to put together a friendly as one might. Everything from unavailable dates, to high appearance fees, or not being able to guarantee certain player's appearing or not, all come into play. I'd like to see a Bundesliga team play, or a Serie A team, or a Ligue 1 team from france. Unfortunately that's not going to happen this year, bolton at least are a epl team after all, (most consider this to be the best league in the world) so I wouldn't complain too much. Would I like to see a liverpool or man utd or Inter milano sure who wouldn't. At the same time though If a big team does appear i'm not interested in a game without the BIG stars playing in it. That's what was so special about Real last year. I got to see Ronaldo and Raul and others at the prime of their carreers play here. It's more important for me to see tfc make the ccl and playoffs than to see ac milan or man utd play tfc here this year.

24. busbyboy74

busbyboy74 Member

Apr 13, 2007
    416 Proper
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Not sure of your point....Teams like Real Madrid are going to charge a premium to play against a small side like ours...

To suggest we cater to clubs from the U.K is just crazy. I guess we really cater to the Argie and Portuguese community.

25. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Red Card

Mar 4, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

I can only think of Danny Dichio, Rohan Ricketts and Andy Welsh as English players. Are there more out there that I'm missing?

Two of four coaches have been English...but coaching shouldn't really be about nationality, more about the players you have.

I'm looking forward to seeing TFC play Bolton, as I looked forward and enjoyed the Aston Villa, Benfica, Independente, River Plate and Pachucha. They've all been very fun, spirited entertaining games. That's all that matters.